BRPD offering self-defense classes for women

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Self defense classes offered

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Baton Rouge police can help out any woman who wants to learn how to protect herself.

Next week, the department starts the first of its free self-defense classes.

There will be three sessions for women.

It totals 16-hours of hands-on, physical training to teach you how to protect yourself.

You must be at least 13 years old.

Classes are first-come, first-serve and are limited to 25. They fill-up quickly.

Call 389-3886 to sign up. The classes are held at the police academy gym on Mayflower Street.

* Session 1: October 21, 23, 28 and 30
    * Session 2: November 4, 6, 11 and 13
    * Session 3: November 18, 20, 25 and December 2
    http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=9171676

EDIT:News article was updated so I updated my post.

:)

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Instead, send your wife or daughter to CWP class and have them get a permit and a revolver. Unless you train everyday, the average housewife will not be able to take out a cracked out suspect with hand to hand techniques.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Instead, send your wife or daughter to CWP class and have them get a permit and a revolver. Unless you train everyday, the average housewife will not be able to take out a cracked out suspect with hand to hand techniques.

Why not both? :p

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Why not both? :p

I agree.

However, Channel 9 reported that the class will be very strenuous, and that anyone signing up had better be in very good physical condition.

If anyone's wife, daughter or SO doesn't meet these "standards," the firearm training might be a better option.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Akajun is 100% correct. If you don't practice those techniques religiously, they WILL be forgotten under duress.

Every year, once a year, for 28+ years, I attended Defensive Tactics training, where they showed us (and we practiced on each other) all sorts of neat tricks.

And every time I got in a fight on the road, I would revert to the way I've been fighting since grade school; fists, feet, and whatever's handy. All those special little judo moves, pressure points, etc.; all of that was totally forgotten.

You fight with your mind. And if you don't train the MIND, as well as the body, you're pissing in the wind.

What they should be teaching these women is:

Create DISTANCE, and light his ass UP

EXACTLY.

1911heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2007
    What they should be teaching these women is:

Create DISTANCE, and light his ass UP!

I agree with this. Despite HTH training many women (not all) will either give up or bite, kick, and scratch at the BG.

The armed housewife is her own best protection. However if a woman wanted to take a defensive tactics course I'd say encourage her, it will at least heighten her situational awareness. It also might turn an unarmed woman who would submit to a BG into one that might fight herself out of trouble.

Guys- Don't forget to encourage your armed ladies to practice with their weapon from time to time.

Boolie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    South Louisiana
    As one of those "armed housewives" I couldn't agree more with encouraging your SO to not only practice regularly but I would also encourage you to quiz her on any of the firearms that are in your home. Every gun that is in our home my husband has taught me how to operate in both daylight and dark. Every time he comes home from off-shore I get a quiz. I also accompany him to the shooting range regularly. I have to say that I may still get a little nervous when contemplating the unthinkable, but at least I know that I am as prepared as I can possibly be. The most important thing I can say in regards to teaching women about guns is to be patient with us, sometimes guns aren't second nature to us. Also please ensure that we are totally, 100% competent and comfortable with "our" weapon. If she isn't comfortable with your gun, buy her one that she is. I held every pistol at one of the Lafayette gun shows. The glock 23 was the best fit for me after some deliberation. I was taught everything I needed to know - not just about shooting. Field stripping for cleaning and learning how it operates. My husband laughs at me now, but I love my gun. I have a gun in the truck and my glock for my ccw (fits great in a purse)... Point is, once upon a time I was afraid of guns, now I have 3 of my own and never leave home without at least one of them. It took someone (my wonderful husband) being patient with me long enough to make me competent and comfortable with MY weapon. In the words of my CCL instructer, "Don't **** her off"! All women should have that security.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    i taught my wife to use a gun and run. she couldnt harm me or hurt me with anything less than a chainsaw or gun. and she cant pull start the saw.

i personally believe SD classes are false sense of security.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    If the SO or the PD would do a 2 month instruction on the use of handguns for all that would be more productive, but the liability issues would probably be a concern. I suppose there could be a waiver signed.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    i taught my wife to use a gun and run. she couldnt harm me or hurt me with anything less than a chainsaw or gun. and she cant pull start the saw.

i personally believe SD classes are false sense of security.
    you'd be surprised how much damage a determined smaller person can do to a big fella.

FWIW my girlfriend called and they said they had all classes full already, they offered to put her on a waiting list for when more classes could be scheduled so she did that.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    if she wants, ill be happy to show her the stuff doesnt work.

if two cops my size cant get it to work on me, i dont see how she can. fyi chief leduff couldnt get it to work on me either. and ive fought plenty of people it had marginal if any effect on.... id like to add i also fought lenty of people it DID work on.

remember, you have SECONDS TO SAVE YOUR LIFE in close quarters combat....

Last edited:

Boolie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    South Louisiana
    If the SO or the PD would do a 2 month instruction on the use of handguns for all that would be more productive, but the liability issues would probably be a concern. I suppose there could be a waiver signed.

Could work, but I still recommend one on one instruction from either you or someone who you would consider an authority if you are not confident in your teaching skills. As previously stated my husband taught me most of it, but I also took Hunters Ed, CCL, and worked with a deputy one-on-one until I felt comfortable with my weapon. It is not over with a certification at the end of a class. It has to be continually reviewed. Ultimately it is your SO's responsibility to ensure that handgun safety is maintained 1st, however it is your responsibility to ensure that she has all the available training and knowledge to make accurate and appropriate decisions.:)

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I think you didn't get my point, NOTHING works on 100% of the people 100% of the time, not even bullet holes (at least quick enough to stop the immediate threat). Sometimes you don't have the "drop everything and run" option, in those times some type of knowledge of how to inflict damage on an attacker is critical. In law enforcement your end goal is different from self-defense. The average person just needs to fend off attack and if possible stun an assailant long enough to escape whereas a LEO is stuck having to subdue and contain (preferably without a lawsuit for excessive force...)

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    if she wants, ill be happy to show her the stuff doesnt work.

if two cops my size cant get it to work on me, i dont see how she can. fyi chief leduff couldnt get it to work on me either. and ive fought plenty of people it had marginal if any effect on.... id like to add i also fought lenty of people it DID work on.

remember, you have SECONDS TO SAVE YOUR LIFE in close quarters combat....

taser-c2-2.jpg

Boolie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    South Louisiana
    You are totally correct. Nothing will ever work 100% of the time. It is my opinion that everyone, women especially should always be aware of their surroundings and be prepared for whatever may happen. Education should begin at home. All you daddy's with little girls that are wrapped around your finger, this means you. I'll admit that my Daddy tried to tell me to "be aware of my surrounds", but looking back I put myself in a hell of alot of possibly compromising situations just because I was blissfully naive. Something as simple as walking across campus after a night class to my dorm room, or walking to my car after the bars closed - thankfully nothing ever happened to me but I know not everyone is so fortunate. Whatever method (tazer, gun, pepper spray, SD) you feel is right for your daughter/wife/mother, just make sure that they are well educated and prepared for the unthinkable. Do not entrust the lives and well being of your family to someone elses instruction only. Do your own "class". You will sleep better at night knowing that your daughter/wife/mother knows exactly what you feel is important in regards to threatening situations.:D

Boolie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    South Louisiana
    An integrated, multidisciplinary approach is the only rational training progression, but it requires too much work, effort and personal discomfort for most people to bother with.

I can not imagine what would hold precidence before the safety and well being of a family member.:confused:

Top Bottom