Bullseye or Titegroup for 45 acp plinkers.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I have been using titegroup in my handgun plinkers for several years now, but have a chance to score some Bullseye to add to my inventory.

What say you BS hand loaders ? Bullseye or titegroup? Why ?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Ive loaded thousands of rounds of 9mm and 45acp with bullseye. Its a bit dirty but otherwise have had no issues. One thing to note is it is on the hot side so charges are fairly small. Some folks dont like the fact that you could double charge a 45 and it hold it. So be diligent in your habits.
    Same for Titegroup. Very fast burning and economical powder so it has very low charges. Not the best for 45 but gets it done on the cheap

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've loaded both as well, and lots of each. They are very similar in performance. Bullseye was the 'cats @ss' 30 years ago for 45 ACP, or so said Bill Wilson. I think it was 5.0g with 200g LSWC HG68 type projectile for a major or pin load? Titegroup is nice because it can load so may different cartridges so well. I have used both for 45, 9mm and 40SW with great success. But hey, Bill Wilson said a long time ago...

My (sort of) recent major load for 200g LSWC with Bullseye was 4.6g. Made 169ish in my 1911. You can load at 3.5g for a reduced load, but you may need to dial down your recoil spring for good function.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Same for Titegroup. Very fast burning and economical powder so it has very low charges. Not the best for 45 but gets it done on the cheap
    Got a lb of titegroup on the shelf. Havent opened it to try out yet. Whenever i get around to opening it up ill keep in mind to treat it accordingly. Prob wont see it in 45 though as i have a decent supply of w231 that ill be using for 45 for the forseeable future.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Starting from scratch, I'd go with what I went with 30ish years ago for 45 ACP - Bullseye and W231. Nothing wrong and a lot right with both. My personal experience was getting the best groups with Bullseye, even if it seemed a little less clean to shoot.

For more relaxed, fun shooting, 3.5g Bullseye, 200g lead bullet, and 15# recoil spring should work fine with a 1911. I think my OAL was 1.250, but I'm not walking outside tonight to check.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Looks like powder won't be a problem to get, it's the large pistol primers I can't hardly find and boy the price is way higher than the last time I bought primers. I see some ammo manufacturers switch to a small primer 45 acp cartridge. Has anybody shot or reloaded any of this type ammo??

theway109

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Looks like powder won't be a problem to get, it's the large pistol primers I can't hardly find and boy the price is way higher than the last time I bought primers. I see some ammo manufacturers switch to a small primer 45 acp cartridge. Has anybody shot or reloaded any of this type ammo??
    Work just as well as large primer, but you'll be frustrated when one of the wrong size gets mixed in.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Bullseye or tite group will work just fine. Tite group seems to burn a little hotter/cleaner and with my powder coated bullets, my barrels stay very clean.

Griz375

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2022
    901 AC
    Got a lb of titegroup on the shelf. Havent opened it to try out yet. Whenever i get around to opening it up ill keep in mind to treat it accordingly. Prob wont see it in 45 though as i have a decent supply of w231 that ill be using for 45 for the forseeable future.
    I've used all these (TG, W231, BE & Unique) without issue and yes there's some slight differences but I'm not a competition shooter. If it burns a little dirty IDC - I clean religiously.

If I had to pick, probably 231 then Unique although I knew a guy who only used Red Dot for years then switched to TG - no idea why as he wasn't a guy for casual conversations.

Top Bottom