burn help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    forgive the errors, I'm single handed right now.

as ive mentioned in the past, i have a new hobby in glass work. i had a kiln accident and it resulted in some pretty bad burns across my palm. fact is, glass melts at 1400 and anneals at 975. if i stick with it, i'm going to get burned. basically i panicked at losing a bead i worked an hour on and grabbed the hot mandrel out of the kiln... maybe 500 degrees at my guess on the mandrel end.

Here is my question. is asking for a prescription burn cream to have "on hand" going to get me laughed out of the office? I don"t think its a controlled drug. Im not familiar with any burn cream honestly. Anything otc that works on 2nd/3rd degree burns? Ive had tiny burns since june but tonight made me cry from the burns.

whats the first aid on a burn? i know... i usually google. but we have emt's here and Im not interested in surfing. figured a quick question here might work.

Last edited:

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    Hey, put ice on it, the longer the better, I am not a EMT but I have been burned quite a few times. (mechanic work). And I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night. Not really but I just had to say that. LOL. Hope your hand gets better.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    manny, that works on 99% of my burns. I dont usually come out of the gate whining about pain... this one feels like its going to require bandaging and a doc appt.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Silverdyne (not sure on spelling) is what they used on me, no blistering and no scar.

^^^ this. only other thing is keep it clean and dry and don't bust the blister let it blister and bust on its own. between welding/atvs/and motorcycle exhaust ive burned myself more than a couple times. the stuff vs is talking about i think its silver nitrate(?) has been the best thing ive used. the main thing is to keep it clean though. burns are bad about allowing infection in. i burned my leg fairly bad on a motorcycle exhaust and managed to get an infection (cellulitis) its not good. its pretty much a lifelong thing now. about a year ago i burned my leg again on a pipe and ended up with it again and landed in the hospital for 3 days on iv antibiotics.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    manny, that works on 99% of my burns. I dont usually come out of the gate whining about pain... this one feels like its going to require bandaging and a doc appt.
    Cat acetaminophen helps for burn pains, if its 3rd degree you def need to see doc!

mitter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    An old trick is to immediately put your burned hand in a bag of flour for 10-15 min. Don't know why, but it takes the pain away and usually wont even blister. I keep a bag in the fridge, cold flour sooths better than room temperature.

Now granted this is for burns recieved at "cooking" temps, not kiln temps but might be worth a try.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Cat acetaminophen helps for burn pains, if its 3rd degree you def need to see doc!

I whimped and applied ice instead of riding it out. it still burned through the numbing cold. Definitely hitting the clinic tomorrow, if nothing else to get a run down on what my immediate first aid needs to be and what i need to have n the kit. this is worse than my typical kitchen oven mishaps. looks the same, so i think its only 2nd degree but hurts worse than any burn... can a 3rd look like a 2nd? it looks white like a blister without fluid behind the skin.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Silvadene is the trick. I spent 31 days in a burn ward years ago and this was the daily topical that was used. Great stuff. Third will burn past the nerve endings and be numb. Second will be in the surrounding areas and hurt like hell. Once the third starts to heal it will hurt also.

Good Luck

Last edited:

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    I once grabbed a piece of rebar that a welder had just cut off, I picked it up before I realized that it was hot. it burned my hand right in the center, I put ice on it for a long time and it stopped hurting and never hurt after that while healing. Hope this helps.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    it did stop about twenty minutes ago. But it never did blister, it's just white and "thick" feeling across my fingers. A little googling indicates that a 2nd degree can continue into a 3rd degree. I'm willing to guess that's what happened. It's pretty painless at the moment.

Thanks guys. I'll ask the doc about silvadene. He may poo-poo my request. I hope not. It'd be nice to have something that wouldn't leave me in a fetal position with my hand under cold water. If I'm playing with fire on a full time basis, it'll happen again. At any rate, tonight showed me I need to brush up on burns 101, including burn through to the muscle kind. I can't imagine what a white hot molten ball of glass would do.

I'm working on cabinet knobs and drawer handles for my mother's kitchen. Each one takes about thirty minutes to an hour. But she'll be rocking some cool cabinets after it's all said and done. :)

Last edited:

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Not silver nitrate, silverdyne is a silvery cream. Silver nitrate will stain dark brown and takes two weeks to wear off
    ^^^ this. only other thing is keep it clean and dry and don't bust the blister let it blister and bust on its own. between welding/atvs/and motorcycle exhaust ive burned myself more than a couple times. the stuff vs is talking about i think its silver nitrate(?) has been the best thing ive used. the main thing is to keep it clean though. burns are bad about allowing infection in. i burned my leg fairly bad on a motorcycle exhaust and managed to get an infection (cellulitis) its not good. its pretty much a lifelong thing now. about a year ago i burned my leg again on a pipe and ended up with it again and landed in the hospital for 3 days on iv antibiotics.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Are there any kind of mitts you can get when handling that stuff?

I could, but I keep up with my safety at the torch. Getting burned there is serious business. Long pants, cotton, eye protection, hair pulled back, and keeping body parts away and above the glass and flame. Tonight was stupidity and straight up poor kiln discipline. I need to learn once it goes in, LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE until the kiln shuts off and it drops back to room temp.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Silverdyne (not sure on spelling) is what they used on me, no blistering and no scar.
    This is what I put on burns when I worked as EMT at Bayou Steel in Laplace. As you can imagine, a steel mill can see quite a few burns. Cool the burn with water, dry and apply Silverdyne and wraps if necessary.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also, everyone should keep colloidal silver on hand. Pun intended. Actually, you should take a few drops under your tongue, hold for 30 seconds then swallow.

Colloidal Metals are anti-microbial.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    You should have a burn kit on hand including burn gel/cloth to cool the burn immediately. I'm not an EMT and have absolutely no clue what I am talking about.

Top Bottom