Bushmaster or Smith&Wesson ar15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    If those are the only 2 you're considering, definitely get the S&W.

If you worship at the altar of "mil-spec", the Bushmaster is a travesty. :D

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    Cool. Good luck. Every exploded gun I have ever seen has been a Colt. ;)

Really? i have heard that colts have a lot of problems but i wouldnt expect that

i was told that the tolerances are so tight on the colts that they tend to crap out easily and wind up in the shop for repairs

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Really? i have heard that colts have a lot of problems but i wouldnt expect that

i was told that the tolerances are so tight on the colts that they tend to crap out easily and wind up in the shop for repairs

Of course others have issues also, but for many Colt is the holy grail of AR15's.

I had one blow up in a class, and there is another (granted, it was abused) in this month's issue of SWAT.

Just kinda funny. In all the classes I have been around, never seen a Spike's, BCM, or SW go down.

But then again, that is only my experience. Others have seen the exact opposite.

I hate ford trucks too,i had a bad one, so....;)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think Colt is like the Glock of ARs, in that you hear more negative things about them solely because there is more of them out there. Colt is one of the only two TRUE mil-spec AR manufacturers. The rest are reversed engineered.

Colt makes quality stuff, considering most of the guys in the sandbox are fielding Colts, if they were just randomly blowing up, don't you think we'd be hearing about it?

It's not my first choice, but the 6520 is a great rifle that has proven itself for a long time.

james351

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Thibodaux
    I think Colt is like the Glock of ARs, in that you hear more negative things about them solely because there is more of them out there. Colt is one of the only two TRUE mil-spec AR manufacturers. The rest are reversed engineered.

Colt makes quality stuff, considering most of the guys in the sandbox are fielding Colts, if they were just randomly blowing up, don't you think we'd be hearing about it?

It's not my first choice, but the 6520 is a great rifle that has proven itself for a long time.

Thanks that what I needed to hear.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I doubt there is a Spike's or BCM M4orgery in exsistance that takes the kind of abuse that the Colt M4s currently fielded by the US Army do. Spike's and BCM both make excellent guns. In fact BCM is my Go To Brand but there is nothing wrong with Colt. I don't doubt NOLACOPs account of one blowing up but I have never seen one in the thousands of rifles firing hundreds of thousands of rounds I have been around. When they do break it tends to be Joe related(broken sight post and bent charging handles), or over use(sheared gas keys, broken extractors, broken firing pins). The later catagory rarely happens inspite of the fact that most of the Army's M4s have been deployed nearly constantly for almost 10 years now. In short there ain't a thng wrong with Colt. LSP was dead on. Get a white light, some Lancer or PMags, and a good EO Tech and you will have a rifle that will fiunction and exceed your accurracy.

james351

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Thibodaux
    Thanks . I like simple thats why I choose that model. No fancy gadgets. Ill get a good light and Rock and Roll. I carried a M16 for 3 yrs while I was a grunt back in the early 80s

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    LSP972, I dont doubt your account, but I do find it hard to believe that some parts were not changed out. 26,000 rounds with no replaced gas rings, broken lugs, springs, etc? Maybe there were no failures, but what about the armorers replacing worn parts? I think there needs to be some detail so the wrong impression isnt passed on. Someone may read that and then pass on that "colts run 26,000 with no parts replaced"

Not a personal attack at all, I just want to make sure I am hearing you correctly.

And I think there are some BCM's and to a lesser degree Spikes that are run very hard, certainly not nearly as many, but there are some out for T&E that have very high round counts / little cleaning and run hard.

Ill third the Keep it simple for HD idea. Though I do like an always on optic.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Its not the round counts it's the abuse. The cleaning with harsh solvents, the storing wet, the dropping, the banging into the table everytime you sit down in the chow hall, the lack of a real "NATO Standard" in Ammo(some of this Euro stuff is HOT!), the hanging of appliances in poorly designed mounts, the being literally thrown into the back of trucks, the parachuting etc. ABUSE. Any Grunt or former Grunt reading this knows what I am talking about.

Top Bottom