Bushmaster or Smith&Wesson ar15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I've never owned another brand,but I just bought a bushmaster 6.8 SPC and love it. It's super accurate. Only 100 rounds through it, but never a hiccup

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    In a past life I used to spray oven cleaner all over my rifle and then take it into a hot shower and let it "steam". The things I used to do to a bolt tail with a crushed and bent piece of .50cal brass would make Eugene Stoner vomit. Of course I could probably break a bowling ball. In Ranger School I drooped a M60 barrel firing blanks...

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I've never owned another brand,but I just bought a bushmaster 6.8 SPC and love it. It's super accurate. Only 100 rounds through it, but never a hiccup

It's statements like this...:o

I met this girl 15 minutes ago. I love her. She has never cheated on me.

I bought this car yesterday. It is super reliable. Hasn't needed service yet.

My most people's standards, a rifle fired 100 rounds isn't even warmed up, much less broken in.

Not attacking you, just saying it is comments like this that illustrate the great disparity that people judge anything, weapons included, by.

Take also into account that any one rifle from ANY manufacturer can randomly be a lemon or a grand slam, and you see why people get so emotional about justifying their purchase or favorite brand, manufacturer, etc.

I have seen some very fine shooting high points, but I ain't gonna claim it the greatest carry pistol ever made.

That said, Colt does have a unique body of experience due to their lineage, time in service, and quantity in service. In no way am I suggesting you would be making a bad choice with a Colt, just in your OP, you added cost as a qualifier.

I am simply saying that their are rifles available with similar if not identical "quality" (depending how you want to quantify that) as a Colt for less cost, thus a greater value.

It is pretty difficult to buy a "bad" AR in today's market by going with known brands. That said, to echo LSP972, get a white light optic (I recommend Aim point micro H1), and plenty of ammo.

james351

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Thibodaux
    Price was a factor and I got a brand new Colt for 975 dollars. just about the price of the other 2. Gun came in this morning . Im picking it up this afternoon. I will sure check out the aimpoint light. What ammo would u recommend?

Last edited:

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA

What are you getting at? I've had good experience so far. If you want to supply me with some 6.8 ammo, I'd be happy to do a reliability test for you. That ammo is too expensive for me to go run 5 or 6 hundred rounds through it. If I had nothing but problems with it, I would have advised.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

What are you getting at? I've had good experience so far. If you want to supply me with some 6.8 ammo, I'd be happy to do a reliability test for you. That ammo is too expensive for me to go run 5 or 6 hundred rounds through it. If I had nothing but problems with it, I would have advised.

You obviously missed the point of my post...not surprised. Enjoy your rifle.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Price was a factor and I got a brand new Colt for 975 dollars. just about the price of the other 2. Gun came in this morning . Im picking it up this afternoon. I will sure check out the aimpoint light. What ammo would u recommend?

Not a bad price at all. Apparently I need to keep up better. LOL.

Actually, once again, LSP972 or DZelenka can probably better answer ballistic questions, but when trying to find the "right" ammo for any purpose, you generally want to ask...

1. What purpose are you trying to buy ammo for?
    2. What is the twist rate in your barrel?
    3. WHat is your barrel length?
    4. What is your target and ballistic needs?

That said, I have 55 gr Hornady TAP for Duty/HD and a magazine of M855 in case I need deeper penetration.

james351

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Thibodaux
    OK. Please I didnt start this tread to make hard feelings between anybody. We all have our likes and dislikes .Opinions are good and not meant to be personal. As far as ammo I know thats a hold different can of worms. Thanks again:)

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    LSP972, I dont doubt your account, but I do find it hard to believe that some parts were not changed out. 26,000 rounds with no replaced gas rings, broken lugs, springs, etc? Maybe there were no failures, but what about the armorers replacing worn parts? I think there needs to be some detail so the wrong impression isnt passed on. Someone may read that and then pass on that "colts run 26,000 with no parts replaced"

Not a personal attack at all, I just want to make sure I am hearing you correctly.

And I think there are some BCM's and to a lesser degree Spikes that are run very hard, certainly not nearly as many, but there are some out for T&E that have very high round counts / little cleaning and run hard.

Ill third the Keep it simple for HD idea. Though I do like an always on optic.
    I'm gonna have to agree here, but not on the same parts. The parts I see that wear out faster on an ar, at least in HighPower competition are the Gas tube and Gas Key, (they tend to get shorter and need replacing at about 10,000 to 15,000). Also LSP, what is the accuracy of the barrels at that round count? The longest run I know of personally was a shooter that used a Colt Hbar chrome lined 1/7 twist which lasted about 10,000 when it all of a sudden opened up and would not hit paper at 200yds.

BTW Brannon every ar that I have seen or heard of that "blew up" could be traced to ammunition. Usually a case head seperation from reloaded ammo using worn out brass or new ammo with bad brass or some sort of barrell obstruction. Ar's can not fire out of battery due to the design of the rotating bolt. The firing pin will not reach the primer unless it is fully locked

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    You obviously missed the point of my post...not surprised. Enjoy your rifle.

No, I think I got it.

Peoples RECENT reviews of the Taurus TCP were enough to make me steer clear of buying one. That's saying alot b\c I really wanted one. I did my homework and realized it is not a very reliable piece. There is no way I could have done that if people hadn't spoken up.

I appreciated every review\opinion that someone had taken the time to write and feel like they are all important..... Enjoy your old worn out rifle!

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    Winning an argument about these punty excuses for a battle rifle is like winning the Special Olympics... well we know how that one ends.

Just kidding guys I couldn't resist... the banter surrounding the AR 5.56 platform drives some of us crazy... in the immortal words of Rodney King "Why can't we all get along"

:Dthe 7.62x51mm guy:D

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    LSP... using logic and common sense... how dare you... :)

I think we can all agree that any conclusions based upon a test with a limited dataset is worthless. In fact its downright dangerous.

Using 1 rifle as stated earlier could be a lemon or a homerun.

100 Rounds through a rifle does not constitute reliability, or un-reliability. Heck, 1000 rounds doesnt either. Test conditions play a large part in it as well. 1000 rounds fired on a square range is not the same as 1000 rounds in the field.

Most people defend their purchases for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with that, you just better be confident that your purchase is going to do what you need it to. Whether it be save your life, be a reliable tool, whatever. And you better be confident because you have tested it, not because user COLTistheTRUTH said so.

No reason to clean your rifle to inspection conditions, steel wire brushes do damage, the bolt tail does not need to be cleaned, AK's are not more reliable than AR's, and there is no such thing as stopping power.

To each his own. There are a lot of guys on here that are a wealth of information.

Rant Off... not pointed at anyone, and probably been said many many times before.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    No, I think I got it.

Peoples RECENT reviews of the Taurus TCP were enough to make me steer clear of buying one. That's saying alot b\c I really wanted one. I did my homework and realized it is not a very reliable piece. There is no way I could have done that if people hadn't spoken up.

I appreciated every review\opinion that someone had taken the time to write and feel like they are all important..... Enjoy your old worn out rifle!

:eek3: Ok buddy.....:rolleyes:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I have a y shaped tree branch, have had since I was a kid. And other than replacing inner tubes on the ends every couple of years, I have thrown literally 10's of thousands of rocks without failure.

Hope this helps. :)

And yea, you got a STEAL of a deal on the Colt.

Top Bottom