Canada. And Dubai

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    So, I am handing out resumés like candy right now. (I am graduating with my BSME in 6 weeks)

My boss asked for one to hand up the chain to a someone who overseas the nuclear department in our company.

They have two possible openings right now that my boss is saying there is a decent chance that I will get offers for both....neither job has been posted, and I get the head start being inside the company, ex-military, and have my top secret clearance which a clearance is needed for nuclear work.

Problem is....

1 job is a 3 year assignment in Canada (I don't know where)

1 job is a 2 year assignment in Dubai

I do not know yet, will get more details later this week on what I would be doing, pay, benefits, vacation and travel. (From what I understand, the company would pay for a limited number of flights back to LA every year) and would need to find out stuff on the whole taxes stuff. (My dad just moved to Bahrain, a few hours from Dubai, and as long as he spends less than 30 days stateside each year, his pay is tax free)

So, anyone ever live in either of these two places? Opinions? btw, I am Catholic, if that where to affect either my opinion, or the locals opinions of me...

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    DUBAI is not a bad place it just depends on what city and how much they are offering to pay and if they are paying housing cost, etc etc etc its FKIN expensive to live there.

Canada would be closer to get home more frequently.

As far as the taxes go, it will just depend as where your company has you based out off, I had that issue when I was working in Mexico, eventhough I was out of the country I was technically working for International Office which is Houston for us, so its a lot of BS the way it all works.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    big/dg hunting?

yeah, 28 year old and single....only problem with that is that I don't know how much I care about coming back to the states at 30 and then just starting to work on gettinga family going...granted, I will be coming home with some money I would expect.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Dubai is a pretty cool place. I stopped there during some work in Fujairah. I saw more high end sports cars and SUVs than ever. Lots of cool stuff. It gets hot though... way hotter than here, more humid too.

Here are some pics I have online. Funny, I hardly took Dubai pics, mostly Fujairah.

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was little when we lived in Canada. We were in Edmonton for about 4 years. A few thoughts:
    It was cold.
    It was absolutely incredible countryside.
    It was damned cold.
    Lots of outdoor activities when the weather cooperated. Hiking, fishing, skiing (well, sledding anyway), hunting.
    Guns are severely restricted.
    It was frigid most of the year (do you see a trend here?).
    Black ice.
    It hit 45F below not counting the windchill.
    Short days in winter, short nights in the summer.
    It stayed under 0F for over a month.
    Socialized medicine.
    More liberal programs than here even.
    Taxes?
    The East coast speaks real French, not cajun.
    The food is 'not here' which means it sucks.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    Is your company looking for any EE's? I graduated in December and work in town but am interested in working abroad.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I lived in Montreal for a minute,that's where my wife is from,and it was no different from living in the states except for higher sales and income taxes. Relatively safe and hardly any violent crimes but cold,cold,cold in the winter. Great hunting and fishing but very restrictive on handguns. Long guns,not a problem at all as long as it's not an "assault" type long gun. You can own hand guns there as long as it meets their criteria but you can not import it back to the U.S.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Is your company looking for any EE's? I graduated in December and work in town but am interested in working abroad.

When I give them a call tomorrow to touch base, I can ask for you.

where did you graduate from?

Top Bottom