Car Emergency Kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Go to walmart, the bicycle section, and pick up one of the red flasher lights that normally mount on the rear of a seat post It would be invaluable in case of a breakdown at night, to mark the rear of your vehicle. It'll last a lot longer than your flashers.

Butrbal

Rok Out Whit Ya Glock Out
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Prairieville
    Thanks for the assist!
    Prairieville Fire Dept

No problem Pocket, thank you for what you do. It's the car accidents that I couldn't handle, thank The Lord for you guys.

I was driving southbound on Airline, saw the smoke and pulled in. By the time I retrieved my extinguisher the driver and another bystander had an extinguisher from one of the nearby buisinesses and were opening the hood. We tag teamed it and it was out in less than 5 seconds. At one time I carried the small extinguisher for automobiles but realized it wasn't enough when trying to extinguish the last car fire I came across. Now I carry the largest one I can fit behind the back seat of the truck.

Nothing's worse than running out of extinguisher with the fire still going.
    Don't skimp people, carry the biggest extinguisher you can.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    A whistle, piece of siphon hose, swiss army knife that has the flat and phillips screw driver blades, radiator hose plastic adapter kit, mosquito spray.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Plugs and an air compressor are much better than fix a flat, along with a lighter. Right now I have a crappy air compressor, but I am planning on upgrading to a quality compressor soon.

I keep a AA Fenix flashlight in me and a battery charger in my truck at all times. I have like 6 days of juice on medium for it. It is a USB charger and I have a dual port USB adapter for my cigarette lighter that charges the AA batteries and my phone.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Great thread. Now that I've got a little boy I'm a little more aware of the need to put something like this together for my wifes truck. I already have most of this stuff in my truck toolbox. Also going to look into roadside assistance.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Headlamp
    Gloves
    Safety Vest with reflective stripes (so people see YOU when your on the side of the road)
    Flares
    A coke bottle jack (factory jacks suck)
    2 coat hangers
    Pliers
    Dykes
    Box Cutter
    Air compressor
    Plug kit
    Quality 4 in 1 screw driver (kleins)
    Breaker bar with an extended socket that fits your lugs (tire irons suck)
    Large and Medium Cresent Wrenches
    Jumper Cables
    Assorted Fuse kit
    Fire Extinguisher
    Extra Motor Oil

Anything else goes wrong and the above can't handle it, my vehicle is getting towed to the shop.

Bulldawg

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    New Roads
    Great thread. Now that I've got a little boy I'm a little more aware of the need to put something like this together for my wifes truck. I already have most of this stuff in my truck toolbox. Also going to look into roadside assistance.

Yeah I'm going to work on a second to convince my girlfriend to keep in her car too.

after reading about all of y'all's kits, you will need either a van or small trailer to carry all the gear around.....

Exactly! My new car is a Sedan and space is everything.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Machete
    Fixed blade knives (mounted on roll cage front and rear)
    Recovery gear: winch controler, tow straps, several shackles (d rings) tree saver, snatch blocks (2) collapsible shovel
    First aid kit
    Mounted viair air compressor with 25ft air hose
    Cb w/ weather channels
    Phone charger
    Tire plug kit
    30 min road flares
    Readily accessible fire extinguisher mounted to roll cage

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Jumper cables
    Cell phone
    Flashlight
    Knife or leatherman
    Glock

(obviously I'll put a pack together if I'm going 4X4ing or somewhere remote)

maysen

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Luling, LA
    yeah, get rid of that fix a flat, the balance in that tire you put it in will be off forever and never be able to be balanced again. in essence, fix-a-flat is a temporary fix, the tire will be ruined and have to be replaced. where a plug will likely last the life of the tire with no side effects.

clay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NOLA
    Those carrying cash in your emergency kit; Are you carrying small bills or just $20 or larger? I stopped carrying large bills after breaking down near a rest stop one time. Vending machines don't take $20s.

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    I carry some small bills and a couple of 20's.

Also some form of glue (learned that lesson after I got sideswiped and my mirror was taken off...) and JB Weld.

clay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NOLA
    Glue is a must. I keep a couple tubes of super glue in the car. I've had to glue a few wounds shut before. Tons of uses.

Top Bottom