CCW Duty to Notify -CHP vs. Constitutional Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I know I'm about to catch hell for this. Especially since I'm a new member and should probably "keep my head down" so to speak... but... I'm worried this Constitutional carry law is going to produce some rare instances of unfortunate consequences in some cases. Before I'm crucified, hear me out. I'm about as 2A as they come. I've carried a handgun in my vehicle from the time I was 19 and I wont elaborate as to how much I've carried on my person without any permit whatsoever, ALLEGEDLY. I've never pulled a gun on anyone, fired off a 'pop-shot', or made it known to anyone in my company that I was carrying or much less bragged about it boastfully. But I worry... I worry that some kid that wants to look like a tough-guy, that would normaly have been way too scared to carry a gun due to his fear of being caught and locked up now knows he can throw one in his waistband without fear of legal consequence. And then one night that kid is gonna be hanging out with his buddies, maybe at some party. He's gonna have a lot of drinks, maybe a little smoke, and who knows what else these days. Then some other wanna-be tough guy at that party is gonna say something stupid. And after it's all said and done the end result is gonna be a young man or woman dead on the ground over nothing. Now I understand that it was his or actions that put them there, and I hear ya on the whole "well that's what happens when you live that kinda life. Let them take each other out!". And like I said I've carried, without fail, daily for many, many years. I believe that you and your family's survival is a BIRTH-RIGHT, not an American one. Every creature on this earth has a right to fight for it's life and does not need permission to do so. I'm just curious as to what others think on the consequence of the new law. Do yall maybe think that it will be a very limited amount of instances that this happens and that it is an acceptable price to pay for the the community as a whole to be safer? Or maybe not happen at all? Thank you and please... be gentle. Lol.
    There's always someone doing something stupid with a firearm. No law is ever going to change that. People have secretly carried without a permit long before permits even existed. The difference here is that lawful citizens will be able to do it without fearing arrest and having to renew and pay for a permit and training over and over again.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I provided a simplified version of event to show different reactions to different situations. Each situation presented had a whole heap of variables that were not presented. Based on the extremely limited information I presented, I could add on variables in such a way that makes each of my decisions the wrong decision. Or I could make each decision right. There's just not enough provided information to make that determination unless you simply want an specific outcome and you fill in the variables in a way favorable to that outcome.

I presented a few scenarios and you asked only about the one where the weapon was cleared and held during the traffic stop. I'm going to invent some variables for this. Please tell me if the situation is reasonable and believable. I see a car run a stop sign, only slowing slightly for the stop sign. I get behind it and run the plate. The registration is expired and there is no current insurance info popping up. The owner has two traffic attachments. I stop the car and approach the driver and ask for the usual. ("Papers please.") The driver is not the owner. He tells me some guy owed him some money and let him use the car. He tells me there is a weapon in the center console. I now must return to my car so I can run the driver's name.

I made up that scenario. However, plenty of real live situations are not that far off. Would the above scenario favor removing the firearm or leaving it in the car with the guy standing outside the car?
    I think if it were me, I'd leave the firearm on the vehicle with the driver outside of the car. Then again, I've never been in that position.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    That was 2 years ago before I lost some weight. To be totally honest, they wanted a fat guy for that part. That's the fifth time I ended up being featured in a fat guy role.
    Back in the Marines, I was 170lbs and ended up as much as 350lbs years later. I'm 280lbs now and continuing to lose more.
    If I had known you were actually being serious for once, I wouldn't have said that. Now I just feel like a dick.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I know I'm about to catch hell for this. Especially since I'm a new member and should probably "keep my head down" so to speak... but... I'm worried this Constitutional carry law is going to produce some rare instances of unfortunate consequences in some cases. Before I'm crucified, hear me out. I'm about as 2A as they come. I've carried a handgun in my vehicle from the time I was 19 and I wont elaborate as to how much I've carried on my person without any permit whatsoever, ALLEGEDLY. I've never pulled a gun on anyone, fired off a 'pop-shot', or made it known to anyone in my company that I was carrying or much less bragged about it boastfully. But I worry... I worry that some kid that wants to look like a tough-guy, that would normaly have been way too scared to carry a gun due to his fear of being caught and locked up now knows he can throw one in his waistband without fear of legal consequence. And then one night that kid is gonna be hanging out with his buddies, maybe at some party. He's gonna have a lot of drinks, maybe a little smoke, and who knows what else these days. Then some other wanna-be tough guy at that party is gonna say something stupid. And after it's all said and done the end result is gonna be a young man or woman dead on the ground over nothing. Now I understand that it was his or actions that put them there, and I hear ya on the whole "well that's what happens when you live that kinda life. Let them take each other out!". And like I said I've carried, without fail, daily for many, many years. I believe that you and your family's survival is a BIRTH-RIGHT, not an American one. Every creature on this earth has a right to fight for it's life and does not need permission to do so. I'm just curious as to what others think on the consequence of the new law. Do yall maybe think that it will be a very limited amount of instances that this happens and that it is an acceptable price to pay for the the community as a whole to be safer? Or maybe not happen at all? Thank you and please... be gentle. Lol.
    If you’re scared go to church brother. You’ll be just fine, I promise. All jokes aside I don’t think Louisiana is going to turn into the wild Wild West because law abiding citizens are going to legally be able to carry a firearm how they see fit.

Remember this law isn’t saying any and everyone can legally carry a firearm concealed. Criminals already don’t follow laws. I seriously doubt we’re going to see a huge uptick if any at all in murder because folks will be able to carry concealed. I don’t think people put much thought into this but maybe I’m wrong.

Last edited:

jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    Has any other Constitutional Carry state had this probem? The a answer is a flat out NO.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    There's always someone doing something stupid with a firearm. No law is ever going to change that. People have secretly carried without a permit long before permits even existed. The difference here is that lawful citizens will be able to do it without fearing arrest and having to renew and pay for a permit and training over and over again.
    And that wanna-be tough guy doesn't know anything about the .05 BAC or where he can carry. He just heard he can carry

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    166   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’ll give it a go:
    You seem very concerned so I’ll share these good words and hope they’ll bring you some peace.
    There was once this guy, let’s call him Charles Darwin. He believed, theorized and even convinced many people that only the smartest, most fit creatures would survive and repopulate. He called his theory “Natural Selection”, otherwise known as “survival of the fittest”
    I believe he was correct about many things (excluding evolution all together) and I believe that the scenarios you fear will of course happen with or without laws that afford concealed carry without a permit. Just as people worry about outlaws or criminals suddenly having a new edge, when they’ve actually been packing all along, I think you’re fretting about something not so greatly affected by the new law.
    Hope this helps.
    Now I’ll leave you to your crucifixion for mentioning your past deeds…

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think if it were me, I'd leave the firearm on the vehicle with the driver outside of the car. Then again, I've never been in that position.

And that's a reasonable response. But for me, I would clear the weapon based on things that may only come from experience. Yes, he announced the weapon. But if the weapon could be seen from plain view, announcing it would be better for him than not announcing it and having it be seen. The owner of the vehicle may either not care or is having financial troubles or both. The driver said a guy owed him money so the guy let him use the car. Is that a rock rental, a case where someone loans their car to someone in exchange for crack? If so, the driver may have drugs on him or in the car. Does the driver have any warrants? I don't know yet but I would suggest that someone involved in illegal activities is more likely to have warrants than the average law abiding citizen. And if he does, he's more likely to know than I am before I run his name. When I go back to the car to run his name, I'm going to have to move my attention from him to the computer. There will be a moment where he may think or know he has a warrant or know he's a felon for that matter but I don't yet know and I'm not watching him because I'm looking at the results on the computer. He may not want to go to jail today and his action time will be faster than my reaction time. If he moves toward the car, and therefore toward the weapon, I have to see it in my peripheral, divert my attention, process what he's doing, and react. He can cover some distance in that short time. Think of the 21 foot rule involving someone with a knife. And should I try to get out of the car where I'm free to move around but I'm out in the open? Or should I stay in the car where I'm less exposed but confined?

With each additional speculation/possibility, the likelihood of that specific scenario playing out that that drops. So if I think that's exactly what will happen, there's a really really good chance I'll be wrong. But the chance I'll be wrong is not 100%. But there's a 100% chance he won't try to get that weapon if I remove the weapon from the scenario for the duration of the traffic stop. That way, at the end of the stop, I will have it should it be determined he shouldn't. And if it's ok for him to have it, I can return it. And he can then go on some gun forum and complain about how the mean cops disarmed him for no reason.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    And remember that when you pull someone over, even if he comes back clean (no warrants), he knows what he has done but he doesn't know why you are pulling him over. It might be his taillight is out or was speeding, but in his mind he thinks you are pulling him over because you know he just robbed/murdered/stole/probation violation, etc etc and he doesn't plan on going back to jail.
    BUT you have to treat him like he is a Sunday school preacher until he gives to reason to treat him otherwise.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    And that's a reasonable response. But for me, I would clear the weapon based on things that may only come from experience. Yes, he announced the weapon. But if the weapon could be seen from plain view, announcing it would be better for him than not announcing it and having it be seen. The owner of the vehicle may either not care or is having financial troubles or both. The driver said a guy owed him money so the guy let him use the car. Is that a rock rental, a case where someone loans their car to someone in exchange for crack? If so, the driver may have drugs on him or in the car. Does the driver have any warrants? I don't know yet but I would suggest that someone involved in illegal activities is more likely to have warrants than the average law abiding citizen. And if he does, he's more likely to know than I am before I run his name. When I go back to the car to run his name, I'm going to have to move my attention from him to the computer. There will be a moment where he may think or know he has a warrant or know he's a felon for that matter but I don't yet know and I'm not watching him because I'm looking at the results on the computer. He may not want to go to jail today and his action time will be faster than my reaction time. If he moves toward the car, and therefore toward the weapon, I have to see it in my peripheral, divert my attention, process what he's doing, and react. He can cover some distance in that short time. Think of the 21 foot rule involving someone with a knife. And should I try to get out of the car where I'm free to move around but I'm out in the open? Or should I stay in the car where I'm less exposed but confined?

With each additional speculation/possibility, the likelihood of that specific scenario playing out that that drops. So if I think that's exactly what will happen, there's a really really good chance I'll be wrong. But the chance I'll be wrong is not 100%. But there's a 100% chance he won't try to get that weapon if I remove the weapon from the scenario for the duration of the traffic stop. That way, at the end of the stop, I will have it should it be determined he shouldn't. And if it's ok for him to have it, I can return it. And he can then go on some gun forum and complain about how the mean cops disarmed him for no reason.
    All of that is rational thinking.

Thank you.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    That was 2 years ago before I lost some weight. To be totally honest, they wanted a fat guy for that part. That's the fifth time I ended up being featured in a fat guy role.
    Back in the Marines, I was 170lbs and ended up as much as 350lbs years later. I'm 280lbs now and continuing to lose more.
    I was cast as an extra on a Malcolm in the Middle episode because they were casting gray haired, overweight guys, preferably with glasses. I was on screen from my elbow to my fingers! Similarly, on a movie called Chasing Ghosts, you could see me from my waist to my shoulders.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I was cast as an extra on a Malcolm in the Middle episode because they were casting gray haired, overweight guys, preferably with glasses. I was on screen from my elbow to my fingers! Similarly, on a movie called Chasing Ghosts, you could see me from my waist to my shoulders.
    Can I have your autograph!?!?

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    If I had known you were actually being serious for once, I wouldn't have said that. Now I just feel like a dick.
    It's all good! I saw a different humor and jokes about overeating or being fat have never offended me. Daniel Addams, the Director of "The Walk"(2022) made a PA(Production Assistant) apologize to me for referring to me as "the fat guy." She gave me a strange look after I started laughing and told her she was correct!
    I'm a member of Malcolm McDowel's Irish crime family who's singing an Irish drinking song that mentions "guns" in this scene. Before we filmed, Malcolm asked if I am Irish and I told him about my Dad's Irish roots. He then asked, "And what of your Mother?" I told him about my Mom's German roots to which he said, "Ah, Nazis!" After I started laughing, the entire room erupted! In the screenshot, I am to Malcolm's right(our left.)
    IMG_20240113_221332068.jpg

The casting calls will say overweight, but I laugh because life really shouldn't be taken too seriously. You can't be embarrassed for how you appear on screen, because it's not really about you(except that friends and family love to see you on screen of course.) It's about the people who really need a distraction from reality. People need good entertainment to help get through life's challenges and helping to provide that is the least I can do during "life after the Marines.'

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    And remember that when you pull someone over, even if he comes back clean (no warrants), he knows what he has done but he doesn't know why you are pulling him over. It might be his taillight is out or was speeding, but in his mind he thinks you are pulling him over because you know he just robbed/murdered/stole/probation violation, etc etc and he doesn't plan on going back to jail.
    BUT you have to treat him like he is a Sunday school preacher until he gives to reason to treat him otherwise.
    Ahh good point. I’m sure y’all are running across this daily. The guy with a clean record who just decided to rob, murder, or has just stolen something.
    I don’t think y’all are really helping your case any at this point.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Ahh good point. I’m sure y’all are running across this daily. The guy with a clean record who just decided to rob, murder, or has just stolen something.
    I don’t think y’all are really helping your case any at this point.
    No, I think you missed the point. When we give the dispatcher the plate # when pulling the vehicle over, if there are warrants on the driver, we would know. If there are no warrants on the driver, then it will come back clear, but we don't know who is actually driving the vehicle (might not be the owner that came back clean), or who the occupants are until we make contact. We can assume they are there on a Sunday drive, but the individual(s) in the car doesn't know why we are stopping them, and only assume the worst which is: they are about to go back to prison. The individual knows what he is in to, but the officer has no idea until the stop is made and all occupants are checked.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    No, I think you missed the point. When we give the dispatcher the plate # when pulling the vehicle over, if there are warrants on the driver, we would know. If there are no warrants on the driver, then it will come back clear, but we don't know who is actually driving the vehicle (might not be the owner that came back clean), or who the occupants are until we make contact. We can assume they are there on a Sunday drive, but the individual(s) in the car doesn't know why we are stopping them, and only assume the worst which is: they are about to go back to prison. The individual knows what he is in to, but the officer has no idea until the stop is made and all occupants are checked.
    And a good dispatcher some suck..

Top Bottom