ccw in dress shirt and tie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    i'll hopefully be interning for a lawyer (any openings for a first year law student in N.O.?) or agency this summer and i'll likely be wearing shirts and ties but not a full suit. if i'm alllowed to and choose to i'd like to know about my holster options. any suggestions?

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    I know several lawyers in my part of the state are interested in CCW of late, both from the DA's offfice and PDO. I have been recomending a Kahr with IWB for daily carry. Just rembember, don't try to bring it into my courtroom. I am the only one between my judge and the public with a pistol. You pull, you drop. Keep it for your private life. You have just as much right as anyone else to keep the A--holes we/you deal with off of you as anyone else.
    As far as holsters go, IWB is hard to beat in the heat. A coat is good cover, don't discount it, also it is required of your kind in front of the bar where I come from. Just make sure you practice the sweep and draw so that it is ingrained in your muscel memory.
    Shoot straight and be safe.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Certainly depends on what you want to carry, but a small compact in a pocket holster, while not ideal for speed, is very secure and discreet, with no worries about cover garments or shirt getting untucked, etc.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Lots of us in Chocolate City have gone back to a J-frame in a front pocket, no holster.
    There are several very good reasons for this. Sometimes the old ways may work best.
    P.M. me and I'll explain.......................
    leVieux

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I switched from a 9mm smith to a keltec in a pocket holster. You'd have to keep the coat on all the time to cover an IWB unless you just don't care who sees (and then you might as well OC!). There are a few holsters out there that let you tuck your shirt over them, but they look like it'll slow your draw down considerably.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    I switched from a 9mm smith to a keltec in a pocket holster. You'd have to keep the coat on all the time to cover an IWB unless you just don't care who sees (and then you might as well OC!). There are a few holsters out there that let you tuck your shirt over them, but they look like it'll slow your draw down considerably.

This works well in an office with a dress shirt and tie situation. Once you graduate and get a full office, you can also carry a larger pistol back and forth from work (and your various errands) and during the day keep it in a secure location at you desk. (Not that I know anyone who does this.;))

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Roger the J-frame in a front pocket, but what's the deal with no holster? Such in-depth clandestine knowledge, leVieux, should be shared by the Old School with all, and go in the record here.

OK, Coma,
    I have tried 4 or 5 of the in-pocket holsters and find them fine for drawing from, but they all would get in the way if one had to fire through the pocket, without drawing.
    I am not claiming to be an expert on this. There are folks much more expert than I on these forums. I was just giving my opinion from limited personal experience and my reading.
    I haven't tried to fire from within a pocket, but have corresponded with a few who have.
    Good-bye, now.
    leVieux

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    This works well in an office with a dress shirt and tie situation. Once you graduate and get a full office, you can also carry a larger pistol back and forth from work (and your various errands) and during the day keep it in a secure location at you desk. (Not that I know anyone who does this.;))

well if this person that you don't know would like some help around the office this summer, let me know.;)

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    ya MIGHT consider the j frame / pocket carry or even a holster carry with something as big as a g27 or g33.

I have been considering a ruger lcp for super dress up days but cant justify it yet.

bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    If you are wearing a windbreaker, sport coat, etc. a galco executive shoulder holster works great. You take the coat and holster off in the office and put both back on when you go out. I've been doing this routine lately.

On the other hand, the smartcarry is hard to beat. After you get over being self conscious about it's location you forget it's there.

The IWB holsters, even the ones you can tuck your shirt-tail into, are just uncomfortable to me. That's just me since most on here love them. I am going to try a RM holster low rider IWB with the clamp under the belt one of these days and may have a change of heart on the IWB.

When wearing a suit or sport coat I've even worn an OWB a few times. Very comfortable.

Frnchyse

Will work for ammo!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Metairie
    Look into Crossbreed Supertuck or Comp-tac M.T.A.C. They are both "Tuckable" although you may have to pick out certain types of shirts. Def no see through whites.

Top Bottom