ccw in dress shirt and tie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    SmartCarry. Get it for the J-Frame and carry that, a KelTec p3at, p32, or a compact Glock with a reload too.

It works well. Might be too ultra deep but the draw is not that bad.

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Thanks everyone. Still job hunting, so no immediate need. Just wanted a heads up. If I get a "good job", I may buy a new subcompact or something.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    When I wear a tucked shirt and no coat, I have been using a PPK in a Galco USA http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=1748&GunID=168 . It isn't the fastest by any means, but it is always there (as is a spare mag in my left front pocket). A G19 goes in my computer bag where it is accessible though an unzipped flap. When I have a cover garment, the G19 goes in the waist and the PPK to the computer bag.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    It may be a good idea for you to buy or borrow a blue plastic training gun(s) the same make/model(s) as the real gun(s) you plan to purchase and try that out for a week or so in the same exact clothes you will be wearing.

Put the plastic jframe in your pocket and see how it goes...

I'd suggest SmartCarry. You can buy one of their holsters - which aren't extremely gun specific and try out several training guns in it. You can always use the SmartCarry in the future and can train with the relatively cheap plastic guns or sell them to a trainer.

A good gun shop may even let you buy cheap or borrow the plastic trainer if you have a good rep. with them and are going to buy the real gun from them afterwards.

Good luck with your career plans.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    When I wear a tucked shirt and no coat, I have been using a PPK in a Galco USA http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=1748&GunID=168 . It isn't the fastest by any means, but it is always there (as is a spare mag in my left front pocket). A G19 goes in my computer bag where it is accessible though an unzipped flap. When I have a cover garment, the G19 goes in the waist and the PPK to the computer bag.

What happens to the guns when you go to court?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    They stay at the office or my car, but I don't go to court too much anymore. Guns are not my fear. I worry more that I will forget a spare magazine or knife somewhere for Mr. Marshall or Officer Friendly Helper to discover.

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    9_secret_service.jpg

MP5 with a shoulder rig.

SqueeDAB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Noladishu, Karjakistan
    You could always carry two guns... ;)

Perhaps your "standard" piece (tucked in) and a "roving" piece (pocket)?

The roving gun (a J Frame or subcompact, most likely) is your reaction piece; it fights you (in order of preference) out of the situation, to cover/concealment, or to a place you can deploy your "standard".

Also, it can be proactive, with a hand on it (in a coat/jacket/pants pocket) if a hairy situation arises or looks likely.

Of course, this applies mainly to people who don't carry a J Frame or (sub)compact as their standard/primary CCW.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Nobody's mentioned two other options.

Bellyband works well, depending on your build. Used to do UC work this way but on button front shirts I had my wife sew in a velco closure. Had buttons that did not work as buttons and the lower/mid portion of the shirt could be swept open for draw. Kramer also makes, IIRC, a "holster t-shirt" that might have applications here as well. Have not used that product, but it appears like a belly band, only the pistol is carried under arm, like a shoulder holster.

Additionally, you might consider ankle carry. Slower to get to to be sure but many office jobs you are sitting anyway and in that position it is debatable about how slow it is to gain weapon access. Training with that will also greatly improve your speed as a side note from me, Capt Obvious :).

Liked the suggestion as to shoulder holster as well. Lots of folks don't like them, but I carry that way in fall/winter months and that was a primary carry mode in plainclothes as LEO. Great access in a vehicle or from any position, but of course it does require a cover garment.

Lots of GREAT suggestions on this thread imo. Curious as to which way you are leaning?

Tim

Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma
    I use a smartcarry holster. Damn comfortable. I can't wear an IWB hoster because of a sciatic nerve problem. Also, the smartcarry is practically invisible.

They stay at the office or my car, but I don't go to court too much anymore. Guns are not my fear. I worry more that I will forget a spare magazine or knife somewhere for Mr. Marshall or Officer Friendly Helper to discover.

I pat myself down before I go into the courthouse. It's the only way to make sure I don't miss a knife or two.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    I pat myself down before I go into the courthouse. It's the only way to make sure I don't miss a knife or two.

I found myself quickly walking back to the car yesterday morning before Court. Usually I remember before I get out of the car, but I have never forgotten before entering the courthouse.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    It is important to always have one piece in the same place all-of-the-time.
    WTSHTF, it is really easy to forget everything for a moment. That could be a FATAL moment.
    leVieux

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    SmartCarry. Get it for the J-Frame and carry that, a KelTec p3at, p32, or a compact Glock with a reload too.

It works well. Might be too ultra deep but the draw is not that bad.

I have Smart Carry holsters for KelTec .380 & for J-Frame .38spl.
    Better than going unarmed.
    leVieux

Top Bottom