CCW in New Orleans

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I have been hearing all kinds of stories about people being stopped and handguns taken even though you have a permit.
    What the truth about conceal carry in N'awlins. If I can't carry, I ain't going!
    Thanks for the intel

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Never heard of it happening to a CC holder before.I have lived here over 10 years.Been pulled over 4 or 5 times and even been disarmed 2 times so they can register I mean check to see if it was hot But they never kept it.And no I dident have the reciept for the gun on me at the time.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    If your legally carrying, and you are approached in any fashion of someone in law enforcement.. Tell them you are a permit holder and you have one on your person..

You will be better off.

You wont have trouble with them taking it for good but they may take it for their safety while they talk to you..

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I call this one BS, the problem was when you made use of deadly force to stop an aggresor, you already know your gun will be taken away for an X period of time as "evidence/ part of the investigation" anyways regardless of where the confrontation happens, and some people never got theirs back but then again it could have been a dirty gun to start with.

I have not heard of anything recently in NO, most of the urban stories happened after Katrina, but I doubt half of those are real.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Never heard of it happening to a CC holder before.I have lived here over 10 years.Been pulled over 4 or 5 times and even been disarmed 2 times so they can register I mean check to see if it was hot But they never kept it.And no I dident have the reciept for the gun on me at the time.

:rofl:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Don't know who trust anymore so hang on to your guns boys. I better keep my "cheap" Keltecs since I work in the French Quarter...on Bourbon,no less. If they take away my gun (which they will) after a deadly force confrontation,I won't loose any sleep over a Keltec. I mean their ugly but reliable and cheap...they get the job done. When I go to work in the Quarter I usually have a P11 IWB and a P32 on my ankle.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Tru dat. I don't even want to loose a $450 J frame. The Keltecs are more than dependable so I'm not worried about skimping on carry. I do fear losing any gun,so the most cost effective but reliable and dependable,but not "cheap" gun is in order for the Big Sleazy.

Looks like I just convinced myself to pull my ad on the Keltecs!

Last edited:

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    That is one reason I carry a P-11! Good dependable gun that ya won't be super upset if it is gone an extended period of time as it is easily and cheaply replaceable!

trey504

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    NOLA
    I got pulled over on the CCC for an expired break tag a few weeks ago and NOPD didn't take my gun. They put it in the trunk and held my magazine till I was given the ticket.

FYI showing the cc permit helped in my situation even thought I was not carrying

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    If your legally carrying, and you are approached in any fashion of someone in law enforcement.. Tell them you are a permit holder and you have one on your person..

You will be better off.

You wont have trouble with them taking it for good but they may take it for their safety while they talk to you..

You may want to do this also because ITS THE LAW and failure to do so can result in loss of your permit.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Hogwash.

From personal experience, hogwash.

+1

I've never had a negative encounter with NOPD. Other than an officer almost shooting himself trying to remove the chambered round from my 1911. :rofl:

I don't doubt that it happened at some point, but I don't think things like that have gone on for a long time.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've posted the following before. In the past few months I have had two interactions with the New Orleans police, one for speeding (it was entrapment I tell you!) and in response to a burglar alarm at my mother-in-law’s house. Both times I told them I was carrying and, in the case of the traffic stop, gave the officer my permit. Both times I was given a “quick look” and then the officers went on with the business at hand. Respect and openness go far when dealing with the police.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I have yet to have any poor gun related issues with Louisiana Police period. New London, CT was a whole `nuther kettle of fish but I DID get my guns back but not the 300+ rounds of ammo (mostly .22 but a few boxes of .303 and THAT hurt).

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know every time I've been to New Orleans, I've been pulled over and had my gun taken. Why, it happened 4 times just last week! I'm down right convinced that I, and I alone, supply the entire NOPD with firearms. They've probably got the nicest collection of HiPoints you've ever seen by now.

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    I know every time I've been to New Orleans, I've been pulled over and had my gun taken. Why, it happened 4 times just last week! I'm down right convinced that I, and I alone, supply the entire NOPD with firearms. They've probably got the nicest collection of HiPoints you've ever seen by now.

:rofl:If you had HiPoints there were probably doing you a favor...:rofl:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I dont know who started saying after a shoot, the original post was lawfully carrying and formal interaction with LEO..

You may very well expect to turn the weapon over after a shoot.. that was not originally asked.

Top Bottom