Chain Saw suggestions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaVern Matherne

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stihl
    Didn't we do this few months ago?
    I think Husqvarna and Stihl split the vote. I got Stihl experience and love it. No exp. with Husq.
    My 2cents worth.

I call myself searching before I posted. Still very new on here. If there was a post, can you post that link so I can read it. I will try to do better job searching. And thanks for your suggestion.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Stihl. Get it over with; buy once, cry once. You won't regret it. The Poulan, McCulloch, Homelite, etc. available at the big stores are disposable in comparison.

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    My Mistake LaVern,
    That thread was about weedeaters.
    It's like most things in life, you get what you pay for.
    That said, buy quality, not price. Take into account how accessible your servicing shop is (distance, hours of operation, reputation) because if you use the damn thing sooner or later it's gonna go Tango Uniform on you and it's sure to be when you're gonna need it the most.
    Good Luck,
    Charlie

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Stihl
    Didn't we do this few months ago?
    I think Husqvarna and Stihl split the vote. I got Stihl experience and love it. No exp. with Husq.
    My 2cents worth.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
    I have a Stihl. Husky's are very good also. Never loan it out. When people need things cut I do it myself.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    And this. Nothing like people cutting dirt. Also buy chaps at least.

Yep. Dirt ain't good. But running it without bar oil or forgetting to put oil in the gasoline is worse. A friend of mine has two burned up chainsaws. He also has two good ones he keeps hidden. Guess which ones he let's people borrow when they ask? :chuckles:

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Stihl. Get it over with; buy once, cry once. You won't regret it. The Poulan, McCulloch, Homelite, etc. available at the big stores are disposable in comparison.

^This^ Ive used Stihl and Husqu and they are both quality units. I have also used and worked on McColloch and can attest to the fact that they are(at least the one I had) the most UN-user friendly POS to fix Ive ever had. Avoid them at all cost unless you relish battles of frustration in the future anytime they need service.:(

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
    I have a Stihl. Husky's are very good also. Never loan it out. When people need things cut I do it myself.

+1

I bought my Stihl in 2005 to help with relief efforts in NO post-K. It's had a life of persecution and neglect... run hard and nasty for days at a time, then left to sit cold for up to six months, and would always start back up on the 1st or 2nd pull. Until two months ago, I had never brought it in to be serviced. It finally started to strain a bit, so I brought it back to the dealer. A week and about 40 bucks later, it's running like new again.

Stihl frickin' rocks like a big dog.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I've been using power saws for light duty use for over 30 years, and did maintenance on all his professional saws for a close relative who is a logging contractor. Have personally owned most of the brands mentioned, and found them to be both good and bad. Whatever you choose, pay attention to proper gas/oil mixture, chain-oil fill, chain sharpening, and general maintenance. Longer blades are better and I don't think I'd ever buy a saw with a blade less than 18". Those packages that come with an extra chain make sense to me.

I'd recommend buying from Lowe's and purchasing their maintenance plan - if anything breaks, they'll just replace the saw immediately, rather than having to wait to have it fixed, and paying for repairs.

Here's one example of a decent deal from Lowe's, at a price less than $200:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_353792-86886-PP5020_4294747183__?productId=3353618&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    I picked up a Stihl 045AV for $100.00 off EBay ten years ago and it saved us after Katrina. It has no trouble powering a 30" bar. The only thing I have ever done to it is sharpen the chain and keep it clean.

Last edited:

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Stihl. Reiterate don't loan it to anyone, even a neighbor that burned up 2 Craftsman and still had more to cut. I helped him but everytime he tried to lift my saw he got hit with an axe handle, which he happened to break using it as a lever.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom