Chevy Brake Problem

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I hope it is ok to post this in the Off Topic section, I don't know where else to ask. Need help from the Bayou Shooter car experts.

Changed the rear brake pads on my 2002 Chevy Silverado. Single piston disc brakes.

The old pads were worn down to the squealers.

After installing new pads, one side (right) gets very hot. The brake on this side drags to the point that the wheel almost cannot be turned by hand.

The caliper is not sticking, it floats freely on the freshly greased pins. The pads float as well.

However, when I apply brake pressure, the piston doesn't release after I take my foot off.

Here is where it gets weird, I re-installed the old, worn pads and everything works fine again. Piston lets go when I take the foot off the pedal. Install new, thick pads and the piston won't let go. I have to move it with a crow bar (carefully) to even get the caliper back off the disc.

What's going on here? How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance, barbarossa.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've never run into this problem, but first thing I'd check is that they gave you the correct replacement pads. If they don't match, even a little bit, they could hang on the caliper and not let the piston return properly.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've never run into this problem, but first thing I'd check is that they gave you the correct replacement pads. If they don't match, even a little bit, they could hang on the caliper and not let the piston return properly.

Pads should be the right ones, they look identical to the old ones and move freely on the calipers.

Also, remember, one side works just fine.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I'm no expert, but the big difference is the new pads make the piston run deeper in the caliper, where it hasn't been in a long time, where corrosion and gunk may have formed. Also the seal has to double back over itself with the new pads, another thing that hasn't happened in a while.

Sounds like a caliper issue. The only problems I have had with those brakes have been after replacing the emergency brake shoes and disturbing the cables.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    90% chance the caliper is bad. Get it hot,make it stick and crack the bleeder valve without applying alot of force to the caliper. If the wheel still drags I would be throwing a pair of calipers on it.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Rubber or solid tubing lines?

After a while the lines can collapse causing a check valve of sorts. It'll let fluid to the caliper but won't release. I've changed a few because of this reason.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    This won't help because I can't remember what solved the problem.
    I had an 02 silverado that did the exact same thing after changing the rear discs. I was pretty shocked when I first noticed the problem but it did release on its own. Second time it wouldn't release so I dropped down a gear and mashed on the accelerator till I made it to the dealership. When I got there it was glowing so bright I do not see how it didn't melt off.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Bad caliper, buy a new one.

You might can work the piston free, but not likely. Pass on the rebuild kit. You will need to bleed the brakes. If you need help, give me a call.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Change both of them. They should be pretty cheap for a 13 year old vehicle. I had to change both of mine on my F150 after about 150K and it was surprisingly cheap IIRC. Just make sure you have the bleeders on the TOP of the caliper..i found out the hard way years ago on an earlier truck:).

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Rubber or solid tubing lines?

After a while the lines can collapse causing a check valve of sorts. It'll let fluid to the caliper but won't release. I've changed a few because of this reason.

This. I had the exact problem, changed the caliper-no good, and finally fixed it when I changed the short run of flexible rubber brake line to that wheel. It does exactly what dk here said, a layer of rubber inside the line peels back and forms a check valve that will only flow in one direction. My line looked fine from the outside.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Bad caliper for sure. You can disassemble them by removing the piston seal and o=ring. Hone out the inside and clean it, Reinstall piston and seal and bleed brakes. This often is not worth the trouble as new (rebuilt) calipers are usually not expensive and come with a lifetime warrenty. My advice would be to replace them on both the driver and passenger side then bleed brakes.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Another vote for sticky caliper. Swap it out. Much easier than rebuilding and you'd have to buy a hone and parts anyway, so probably wouldn't even be cheaper to rebuild.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    This. I had the exact problem, changed the caliper-no good, and finally fixed it when I changed the short run of flexible rubber brake line to that wheel. It does exactly what dk here said, a layer of rubber inside the line peels back and forms a check valve that will only flow in one direction. My line looked fine from the outside.

This is the point of the crack the bleeder valve test. If the line has imploded the rotor will free up after bleeding off the pressure.
    A word a caution here. It is possible the ABS unit can create the same issue. It's uncommon but does happen. To prove this you crack the line going into the flexible hose. If it turns now the problem is upstream.
    If the truck is a few years old I will not put rear pads on a GM truck without replacing the calipers.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Common problem. The pistons in the calipers are made of a phenolic material and after a while they tend to swell and stick in the caliper bore stick and not retract. I just had this issue on my 07 Suburban. Change the caliper and be aware it could happen on the other 3. I also had it happen on an 85 Pontiac I owned.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom