CMP garand

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Are you sure it is all original? It isn't likely that CMP let a collector grade out of the door as a service grade. (most of these guns have been through an arsenal a time or two) I did pick up a service grade HRA that was only lacking a bolt and trigger group from being all correct. Once upon a time you could buy these things from CMP so I called them and asked some nice lady for the proper HRA parts as replacements. It is now all correct (not original) and one of my best shooters.

Dan

I dunno.. It has been in the back of my closet since we went shooting this summer.. I will have to dig it out.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    My Service grade was a 3 at the muzzle which from what I understand is pretty good.

Don't get terribly hung up on numbers. If it shoots, then the barrel is good - until it doesn't shoot anymore. Then change it out for a new one.

I don't even know what any of my rifles measure except the last one which is a "0". That sold me on it pretty quickly. :)

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I will put a thread together when I know the details. These things go really quickly so you should be finished by lunch time.

captain-03

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Central Mississippi
    I have been purchasing Garands from CMP for many years ... There is no such thing as a "Special Service Grade". There are "Special Grade", "Service Grade", "Field Grade", and "Rack Grades." While I do live within an 6-hr drive of the South Store, I have never made the trip. All my purchases have been by mail order and "luck of the draw." If you just want a shooter, go for the Service Grade; however, if you have the opportunity to go to the CMP Store, you can probably find a "Field Grade" that will be a good shooter - may not look that good. I have several "Field Grade" Garands that will out shoot several of my "Service Grades." Now if you are looking for something that is absolutely beautiful and shoots very well, then the "Special Grade" if the one for you! I purchases one of the first run of these back in Oct 2007. The price then was $895.00 + shipping. These weapons are described on the CMP Sales Page as:

M1 Garand, Springfield Special -- Due to heavy demand ,please allow 180 days for delivery. M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. New production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. See photos below for more detail.

CMPSpecialComplete.jpg

Believe me - they do look that GOOD!! The price now for the "Special grade" is $995.00 + shipping.

There are no "Service Grades" at the stores right now. The back order for "Service Grades" is such that they are using all they find to fill mail orders already on the books. Again, if you are just interested in a shooter and close to one of the stores; go take a look at some of the "Field Grades." If luck is with you, there are some "Field Grades" that shoot just great!

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    captain-03,

I am glad that you have been purchasing M1s from the CMP for years, but as you have stated, you have never been to either the North or the South store. Therefore, it is understandable that you have no knowledge of the Special Service Grades. Let me fill you in. When I was at Camp Perry for the National Matches in early August there was a rack of M1s for sale with the description of Special Service Grades. They were what in many instances looked like original metal work (in the case of mine, all correct). The barrels had muzzles of 1 or less (mine is a 0) and the throats were less then 2 (mine a 1.5). These guns had new CMP wood with newly manufactured stock metal. They were stunning looking rifles inside and out. Of the ones that we borescoped (after purchase) the barrels looked absolutely brand new. i don't know where the metal came from, but it was every bit as nice as my unissued Collector Grade HRA. These are much nicer rifles then the Special Grades that were on hand and a much better deal to boot. For your further information, please read the following thread: http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=73758

Special Service Grades are not a figment of anyone's imagination. At least 3 or 4 members of this board own them.

Here is one (not mine)
    SA_special_service.jpg

Dan

PS you would be surprised at the things CMP sells at their stores that never make it on the website. You should go visit sometime (especially the North store).

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Also, looking at the picture of the Special Grade (which is a good looking rifle), it is an obviously reparkerized gun. The Special Service Grades that I looked at and held were clearly original finish guns and the parkerizing was in as new shape. At $795, they were a steal compared to both the Service Grade and the Special Grade.

cs69camaro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    I was thinking of getting the service grade to have the original wood if possible not really wanting to shoot all that much just want on to have as a little piece of american history, and to ring off a few rounds every now and then, hehe. I,ll probably have to get one of the special service grades later on to have a very nice shooter.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I was thinking of getting the service grade to have the original wood if possible not really wanting to shoot all that much just want on to have as a little piece of american history, and to ring off a few rounds every now and then, hehe. I,ll probably have to get one of the special service grades later on to have a very nice shooter.

I would not wait on the special service grades. If there were a lot of them available, they would be on the website.

With respect to service grades, some are coming with new manufacture replacement wood. Others with G.I. wood. I don't know if you will get a choice.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Now I am totally confused. In order to maybe get your hands on a Special Service Grade you need to travel to the North store as you can't order these off the website. The Special Grade is $995 and although a nice looking rifle, it isn't as good a deal as there are rifles available that are good shooters, just not a pretty...but you have to visit one of the stores to find them....loardy.
    Dan, sell me one of the rifles you picked up at Perry this year!

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Now I am totally confused. In order to maybe get your hands on a Special Service Grade you need to travel to the North store as you can't order these off the website. The Special Grade is $995 and although a nice looking rifle, it isn't as good a deal as there are rifles available that are good shooters, just not a pretty...but you have to visit one of the stores to find them....loardy.

You can also get them at the South store if they still have them.

Dan, sell me one of the rifles you picked up at Perry this year!

That won't happen. :)

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    You guys keep posting pics and it's making me sick. I only have one and it's gonna be that way for awhile. Damn wife! I can't complain too much since she makes more than me

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    You might think about going tomorrow. The Garand Collectors Association convention starts Thursday in Anniston. I don't think they will last very long.

I heard reports of people buying 8 at a time so you may see some at gun shows in the future. I don't think they will be $795 though.

Top Bottom