Conceal Carry at Zoo???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    WWII museum = Aquarium > Bug museum

Last time I was at the zoo I was wishing I was carrying a good pellet gun. The rats were surrounding the monkey bowl food. Big ones too... I thought they were nutria at first!

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    I wanna say the insectarium is fairly recent within the past 5-6 years. Its on Canal, I beilve on the corner of decateur

I think it opened in 2008. It's in the old US Custom House. The entrance is closer to N. Peters Street, and they'll wand you before going in. Or at least they did that when I went. They also made you buy tickets across Canal Street or at the Aquarium. This may have changed, and I'm sure you can buy them online.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Originally Posted by 03protege
    I wanna say the insectarium is fairly recent within the past 5-6 years. Its on Canal, I beilve on the corner of decateur

I think it opened in 2008. It's in the old US Custom House. The entrance is closer to N. Peters Street, and they'll wand you before going in. Or at least they did that when I went. They also made you buy tickets across Canal Street or at the Aquarium. This may have changed, and I'm sure you can buy them online.

Thanks guys!

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Not really wanting to start a new thread on this, but is this information still up to date for the aquarium and zoo? Looking to go there next week, and at the advice of some here, I will not be attempting to shoot inside the aquarium, but more concerned with walking to and fro parking areas and the like.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    yep. And you still can't carry at the insectarium. So I haven't been there yet.

BTW, global wildlife is better than the zoo or aquarium. Not as good as the wwII museum though.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Thanks. I actually mentioned the D-Day Museum to my wife in jest, because I want to go, but my daughter would have much more fun at the aquarium.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Were there any scraps left over from construction we could test? :)
    Actually, there were a LOT of scraps at one time! The big window on the end by the oil platform was actually one single pice, but as it was being lowered into place, the cables snapped and it broke in half! They could have had a new one manufactured, but it would have delayed the opening, so they dressed the 2 halves and put them together with a seam in the middle, like the other windows. They used one of the broken shards for educational purposes; it was pretty impressive!

BTW, the Caribbean tunnel is about 4" thick; other Caribbean windows are up to about 9".

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I noticed these posts are from several years ago. Has anything changed, or is this still the case in 2017 - zoo and aquarium still ok for CC?

I was there a few months and that was the case. Still a no-go at the butterfly place though.

Mojo873

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Question for you experts: My cousin in law from Saint John, New Brunswick, is about to arrive in NO.

Which of the two, the Aquarium or the Bug Place, is the better to visit if you can only visit one?

I've been to the Aq and loved it, but haven't made the Bugs.

My suggestion is become a member, you'll be saving a lot of money by doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom