Confession & Warning

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    The following was sent to me and requested that I post it anonymously for all to see.

I am a guy who lives near danger and keeps several firearms handy, throughout the home. Several are GLOCKS, others are shotguns, S&W's, Kimber 1911s, etc.

Recently, my Wife was out visiting her Mother; I was alone asleep at home in the wee hours. A couple crashes came from the kitchen.

Oh-Oh ! I jumped out of bed, .45 from safety holster under the pillow, SureFire tac light in other hand. Gingerly looked around. Trigger finger alongside trigger guard.

Nothing out of order. Parrot still in cage, doors & windows secure, alarms still set.

Decided to get a drink of water while up. There, behind the counter was my cellphone, had fallen to floor and separated into components. I don't know how or why. Ghosts?

Returned to bedroom, put light away, went to re-holster, reached to flip safety back on AND it had been ON the whole time.

I guess too many GLOCKS. This was another brand of plastic-frame .45, with manual external safety. I am pretty sure that I would have never made an error like that with a 1911 in hand.

Anyway, I feel that this is worth warning others about. The time to realize safety on and correct it could have been fatal.

Anonymous B-S'er

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    If you have a safety, you need to practice while working it. A safety should be a second nature when sights are coming up on target with the intent to fire.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    The following was sent to me and requested that I post it anonymously for all to see.

Decided to get a drink of water while up. There, behind the counter was my cellphone, had fallen to floor and separated into components. I don't know how or why. Ghosts?

Doubt it was ghosts... my money would be on cell phone set to vibrate and a call from a wrong number. Cell phone vibrates until it reached the edge of the counter and jumped.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Safety shouldn't have been off anyway until a threat is identified and you are bringing the gun on target. This guy needs professional training not a 1911 or Glock.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If seen a lot of people under the stress of competition miss their safeties, switch them on accidentally etc. These in some cases are some excellent shooters who practice regularly and are very familiar with their handguns. I won't carry a handgun that has an external safety. That's my choice your mileage my vary.

Dave

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Well glad he didn't end up like the cell phone, I only have two pistols with external safeties, but niether of them are my beside gun.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Safety shouldn't have been off anyway until a threat is identified and you are bringing the gun on target. This guy needs professional training not a 1911 or Glock.

Safety comes off when out of holster. Finger stays on frame (indexed to the slide stop) until the decision to fire has been made. Safety goes back on just before it is reholstered.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    I keep all mine ready to fire .If someone dosen't like it stay out of my room. I bought a S&W 9 semi auto from my son that had an unmarked switch on the left side ( no F or S). Didn't like that, so I gave it back to him, before I hurt myself or someone else. Hard for ole dogs to learn new gaugets :confused:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Very reason I started wif G locks....I have no handguns with safety , had a similar xperience, jumped a bogey in dark tight place, turned out to be one of the dogs, safety was on all the time I was trying to locate threat in sights

I don't think there is enuff practice to guarantee safety operation

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    This sounds like the most pathetic excuse to get the latest iPhone I've ever heard.....

Top Bottom