Constitutional Carry Bill SB1 will be RS? (Now going to be the Law!)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    This is just wrong. You can absolutely carry in a restaurant including Middendorfs
    Exactly why I put "unless something has changed" as the last four words in my reply. Laws change constantly, get revised, ammended, etc so keeping up with them is a chore. I didn't mean to disperse inaccurate info, and appreciate and thank AustinBR for correcting me. See his reply (post #108 in this thread).

dbommer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    Tate Cove La.
    ICMYI: Constitutional Carry is back in the Louisiana State Legislature! Governor Landry called for the State Legislature to convene for a special session on February 19th to consider. Senate Bill 1, NRA-backed Constitutional Carry bill. This bill will strengthen the right to self-defense in Louisiana by recognizing the right of any law-abiding adult who is at least 18 years old to carry a concealed firearm without first having to obtain government permission.

Be sure to contact your state senator and state representative and ask for their support of Senate Bill 1 to make Louisiana the next Constitutional Carry State!

Louisiana has now been the 2nd state this year to propose constitutional carry behind South Carolina. Citizens of constitutional carry Louisiana will be able to exercise their 2nd amendment right without any further delays, fees or government policy no longer. This does not negate eligibility for those pursuing a carry permit, or those who already have an existing permit. Pursuits of carry permits may do so for other lawful purposes and out of state possession.

As we move forward into this pivotal year of 2nd Amendment defense, we hope you can be a part of this and join in the fight for our rights. For questions, please contact Cole Myers, NRA-ILA Grassroots Coordinator, at cole@nrailafrontlines.com.
    It has passed and will go into effect in July.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    SB 2 just passed as well! 74-30 The Governor ain't f**king around!

Whatever becomes of this Special Session on Crime on down the road, whether some of this stuff works or not, one thing is crystal clear; Landry said he would do something about crime if he was elected; and he is following through!

He's doing something!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Now it goes back to the Senate because it’s a Senate Bill. But, there were no amendments so the Senate should then send it to the Governor to be signed. Almost there…
    I’m staying on this side of the room. Thanks to the guys with the updates and ignoring folks who misspeak and sidetrack thread, lol. I guess I’ll get a cigar and a good bourbon ready.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    For those of you that are concealed carry instructors, you may want to consider a condensed course on handgun safety for those that are willing to learn but not willing to take a full "permit" course!?! Might be away to pick up some extra cash in lieu of the new laws.

What sucked most about the CHP course was the mandatory fingerprinting, the mandatory photos, and the mandatory overkill on one's personal information along with paying for those things. Now that is all moot! However, I will attest, that though some of the course instruction was interesting and good knowledge, it is now unnecessary. But basic safety training is never out of fashion.

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    GHZZJmAXwAAK-Vg.jpeg

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    For those of you that are concealed carry instructors, you may want to consider a condensed course on handgun safety for those that are willing to learn but not willing to take a full "permit" course!?! Might be away to pick up some extra cash in lieu of the new laws.

What sucked most about the CHP course was the mandatory fingerprinting, the mandatory photos, and the mandatory overkill on one's personal information along with paying for those things. Now that is all moot! However, I will attest, that though some of the course instruction was interesting and good knowledge, it is now unnecessary. But basic safety training is never out of fashion.
    I made a decision early on not to get a CHP for several reasons. One major point for me was having to jump through all those hoops and pay fees in order to exercise was I considered to be a basic Constitutional right. Additionally, I am an NRA certified range safety officer and a match director at three monthly handgun competitions and I've been competing in those matches for over 40 years. I considered the process to get a CHP a slap in the face. Now I fully understand that I would benefit from instruction on laws concerning use of force but that is a separate issue as far as I'm concerned. I've never carried concealed in order to stay in compliance with the laws as they were and am thankful that I will now be able to do so lawfully. I agree that no less than a simple course on laws would be helpful, or at least publicly available text on applicable laws concerning safely and legally exercising carrying concealed.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    On a negative side will probably see a rise in establishments with no firearm sign being some store owners probably feel if you didn’t take the course and have a permit you shouldn’t carry so we restrict carry….or because if new people improperly carrying and not acting correctly, but Concealed is concealed. lol

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    On a negative side will probably see a rise in establishments with no firearm sign being some store owners probably feel if you didn’t take the course and have a permit you shouldn’t carry so we restrict carry….or because if new people improperly carrying and not acting correctly, but Concealed is concealed. lol
    On the positive side, these signs are meaningless in Louisiana and can be completely ignored.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    so now do I have to go through the course every 5-years if I have a lifetime CCW? Seems silly since everyone else gets to carry without any class requirement.....

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Yes. They can also prohibit blue shirts paired with yellow hats.

But you don't break a law if you choose to ignore a sign that says "no yellow hats."

You would break the law if the owner asks you to leave and you refuse.
    thanks for the clarification

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    so now do I have to go through the course every 5-years if I have a lifetime CCW? Seems silly since everyone else gets to carry without any class requirement.....
    To keep your CHP, yes.

There are perks that will come with the CHP that those without it will not have. Examples are:
    Being able to carry in states that honor LA permits, carrying within 1000 ft of a school, and skipping a background check when buying a new firearm.

There is also another bill that will likely pass that will give something akin to qualified immunity to those with a CHP.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Generally speaking, if the state you are visiting has constitutional carry and doesn't restrict it to residents only, you are good to go.

Yes, but that's a very small number of states. As a LA CCW holder I can currently carry in 37 other states that have reciprocity. What happens to that now? If that changes, this would be a huge step backwards from the status quo for those who travel a lot.

And consequently, does this change in Louisiana law mean you can no longer get a CCW? Or just that you don't need one in this state? I'd much rather keep and renew my permit if that allows me to travel to many more states.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yes, but that's a very small number of states. As a LA CCW holder I can currently carry in 37 other states that have reciprocity. What happens to that now? If that changes, this would be a huge step backwards from the status quo for those who travel a lot.
    There is no indication that the reciprocity would go away for those who have a LA CHP.

Additionally, most of those 37 states (not all, but most) already have constitutional carry as is...not that it matters for those with a LA CHP.
    And consequently, does this change in Louisiana law mean you can no longer get a CCW? Or just that you don't need one in this state? I'd much rather keep and renew my permit if that allows me to travel to many more states.
    CCW = Concealed Carry Weapon
    CHP = Concealed Handgun Permit
    The change in law does not impact your ability to get either. You won't need a CHP to carry concealed, but having one will allow you co carry concealed within 1000ft of schools.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    I have seen signs in MS (Constitutional Carry state) that only restricts carry in an establishment without CHP.

Didn’t think that signage in LA was binding and a criminal offense. But wondering if we may see signage similar to what I saw in MS once Constitutional Carry takes effect in LA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom