Constitutional Carry in Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    January 4, 2016
    Bill Seeks to Strengthen the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Louisiana

BATON ROUGE, La (Jan. 4, 2016) – a bill proposing a constitutional amendment that would make Louisiana the 8th “Constitutional Carry” state has been introduced in the Bayou State.

Representative Barry Ivey (R – 65) filed House Bill 4 (HB4) on December 21, 2015. The bill proposes to amend Article I, Section 11 of the Constitution of Louisiana, to provide that the right to keep and bear arms includes the right to carry a concealed handgun without a permit or license.

Article 1, Section 11 of the Constitution of Louisiana currently provides that the right of each citizen to keep and bear arms is fundamental and shall not be infringed. It goes on to further provide that any restriction of this right shall be subject to a standard of strict scrutiny by a court in determining its constitutionality. HB4 intends to add the following:

The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms includes the right to possess a concealed handgun without the necessity of obtaining a permit or license, unless the person is prohibited from possessing a firearm under the laws of Louisiana or the laws of the United States.

If passed, the proposed amendment will be submitted to the electors of the state of Louisiana at the statewide election to be held on November 8, 2016. HB4 has been referred to the House Committee on Administration of Criminal Justice.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Let's assume this passes... *For the record, I'm all for it*

What are your thoughts on your average Bubba Redneck carrying concealed?
    How many Neckbeards are gonna try to cover a paddle Serpa under a t-shirt?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

What are your thoughts on your average Bubba Redneck carrying concealed?
    How many Neckbeards are gonna try to cover a paddle Serpa under a t-shirt?

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    ummmm...any "Bubba Redneck" can carry now (legally) after doing a "class" and submitting the paperwork/fee.

Honestly, I assume that everyone is carrying anyway.

I hope it gets passed, but it probably won't. Why? Money. The state is in a deficit and that would be money lost.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Sounds good to me. I've heard many Bubba's and T-Bob's with permits who think no one notices their full frame gun hanging at 3 o'clock under a t-shirt.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    It's now a risk to open carry in the winter if you wear a heavy coat. I can only wear short jackets, otherwise I may inadvertently conceal my handgun, so I think it's a great move to reinstate our rights.

As to the Bubba stereotyping, why would you or I care what they do? I see people printing almost every time I go out in public now, and they had to pay a lot of money for their permit and some look like they drive a Beemer or Lexis.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's now a risk to open carry in the winter if you wear a heavy coat. I can only wear short jackets, otherwise I may inadvertently conceal my handgun, so I think it's a great move to reinstate our rights.

It's not a risk, you have to dress appropriately, regardless if you're carrying openly or concealed.

As to the Bubba stereotyping, why would you or I care what they do? I see people printing almost every time I go out in public now, and they had to pay a lot of money for their permit and some look like they drive a Beemer or Lexis.

I care about what everyone does. Walking around carefree will get you killed. You should especially know, considering you seem to enjoy OC.

I wonder what this would do to the reciprocity agreements with other states?

If I had to guess, they would become void.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    As far as the state losing revenue, the state would miss the permit income but it would also save on the expenses of running the permit system. Probably a net wash as it relates to the State's revenue stream.

As far as the "Bubba" factor, either you believe in the 2nd amendment or you don't. Constitutional rights apply to everyone.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    As far as the state losing revenue, the state would miss the permit income but it would also save on the expenses of running the permit system. Probably a net wash as it relates to the State's revenue stream.

As far as the "Bubba" factor, either you believe in the 2nd amendment or you don't. Constitutional rights apply to everyone.
    Agreed

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Congrats, you are now 1 of 4 people who did not read the first part of my post...

Then I followed with two hypothetical questions, ya know... to start a discussion... on a discussion forum... :eh:

It's funny really, the majority of the OC crowd has never been to a CHP course to see people fail to hit a target at arms length and hear the off the wall questions. Those are the people that I'm concerned with. I'm all for 2A rights, but I think if you're going to make the commitment to carry, you NEED to have some sort of formal training. I feel the course itself meets the requirements, but I don't think it's adequate training.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I care about what everyone does. Walking around carefree will get you killed. You should especially know, considering you seem to enjoy OC.

Agreed even if you conceal. I know a retired cop who works as a PI and he was focusing too mich on the subject and not enough on his suroundings and a guy got the drop on him and robbed him in broad daylight. You are never too tact-too-cool to drop your gaurd no matter where you are.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I had this conversation with a very left wing friend of mine. We were talking about guns and how she thinks "there are just too many stupid people out there, and guns shouldn't be available to them" to which I responded "there are people I don't like being able to drive a car on the same road as me, should we stop them from driving?" The sad thing is, they (liberals) are more reluctant to remove someone's PRIVELAGE the drive on state and federal roadways but are just fine with infringing on people's CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to bear arms.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Agreed even if you conceal. I know a retired cop who works as a PI and he was focusing too mich on the subject and not enough on his suroundings and a guy got the drop on him and robbed him in broad daylight. You are never too tact-too-cool to drop your gaurd no matter where you are.

Then please answer my question: What are your thoughts on your average Bubba Redneck carrying concealed?

Concealed means concealed, but Louisiana is an open carry state, so technically, if your firearm is now in the open, it's still legal. However, what do you think will happen when the neckbeard with his "**** Obama" shirt suddenly has his Sigma .40 fall out of his waistband?

And don't act like you've never seen the type of moron I'm talking about. Go to any Gun Show and you can spot them in droves. I've had my fair share of these idiots hand me a loaded gun, proclaiming it's empty, only for me to drop the mag and rack a fresh round out of the chamber.

Most, but not all CHP holders get educated in some form or another before they start carrying concealed. Now whether or not they follow what they've been taught, well... that's on them. Point being, I don't think just anyone should be carrying concealed. There is a lot more to it, than just sticking a gun under your shirt.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    The bubba's you are refering to would likely stop doing it once it died out as a fad. Too much of a pain in the ass or weighs me down _____ insert complaint.

That aside I would still love to see it passed even if bubba's "started carrying".

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Congrats, you are now 1 of 4 people who did not read the first part of my post...

Then I followed with two hypothetical questions, ya know... to start a discussion... on a discussion forum... :eh:

It's funny really, the majority of the OC crowd has never been to a CHP course to see people fail to hit a target at arms length and hear the off the wall questions. Those are the people that I'm concerned with. I'm all for 2A rights, but I think if you're going to make the commitment to carry, you NEED to have some sort of formal training. I feel the course itself meets the requirements, but I don't think it's adequate training.

I was commenting on this thread in general. Not your comment in particular. Looks like we are in agreement.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Currently, Louisiana has the highest CHP reciprocity with other states.

I would hate to lose that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Doubt you'd lose the reciprocity.
    I used to live in a state not requiring permits- but you could choose to get a permit if you wanted.
    Doing that afforded you reciprocity with other states.
    So no real need to worry in my opinion.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Doubt you'd lose the reciprocity.
    I used to live in a state not requiring permits- but you could choose to get a permit if you wanted.
    Doing that afforded you reciprocity with other states.
    So no real need to worry in my opinion.

This is the only way I see this happening.

If we do allow Constitutional Carry, but don't offer a permit that requires training, then I could see us losing reciprocity.

Although it was a Leftist dick move in Virginia, their reasoning for dropping most states was due to training requirements.

Top Bottom