Couple questions for you Compund Bow guys.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    At this time, you need to work on form and repetition. I would suggest you have them turn your lbs DOWN. Will allow you to develop the muscle strength as you practice, and allow you to work on form and concentration instead of shaking/trembling, etc. That bow, with 29" draw, set at 55lbs, depending on your arrow, will shoot @ 280fps easily. That is PLENTY fast enough, especially for someone just starling out.
    I shot an old CSS Cougar for many, many years, killed plenty, and the bow shot 247fps.
    Do yourself a HUGE favor and don't get caught up in the lbs and speed game...avoid the temptation....
    You have a bow that will perform for many years to come, and you can grow into.
    Scott Mongoos and baby are v good choices. Have been using the same leather buckled Mongoose for over 10yrs, wouldn't consider anything else at this time. (but there are many other good options out there)
    Best of luck.

Last edited:

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Btw: form form form...did I mention form? 15-20 yds, stay there and get your form and repitition committed to muscle memory. You can eventually move up to 25-30 yds. Every 5 yds or so makes a difference...you'll see.

justsomeguy

deranged.......
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Gretna
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I went ahead and went to Chags in Metairie and they had 1 Bowtech Assassin left so I bought it. I ended up going with 29" draw length and 68 pound draw weight. I think its gonna make for a great first bow.
    IMAG1102-1-1.jpg
    I agree. Lucky shot. Tell him to do this at 30yds repetitively. :)
    IMG_20120816_193222.jpg

Last edited:

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Well I was in Slidell yesterday evening around 5:00 and decided to go get a Scott Quick shot buckle release from Ken's Archery. I mentioned that I felt the draw was short. Well for the next 2 hours(an hour after closing) he spent time adjusting the draw and the peep sight and showed me the proper stance and gave me a ton of pointers. I really wish I would have went to him in the first place to buy the bow. Really great service.
    He had to give me about an inch and a half of more draw and he said to be perfect I actually needed probably a little more but that was as far as the Assassin went.

As far as the draw weight. I have no problem pulling it. It might help that I'm 6'2" and 335lbs. I do not tremble or get fatigued when shooting. Of coarse I only shoot about 25 arrows at a time. The crazy thing is this bow has phenomenal let-off. I feel like I'm not holding any weight when fully drawn.

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    I love my assassin and hope you love yours too!

Its all your fault to begin with. Ever since you posted a picture of yours I've been on the hunt for one. I already love mine.

The only con so far is trying to pull that arrow out of the block after shooting it. It goes to dang deep.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    You can get releases and other high end archery stuff for cheap on Archerytalk.com......its kinda like Bayoushooter.com

Bowtech makes fine bows!!! I've owned and shot alot of bows and some of the best bow's aren''t sold or tech'd down here in the south ( Elite and Strothers are some of my fav's)

saggitarius449

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Olla, LA
    5ajevapu.jpg
    My bowtech assassin with the new doinker tactical. Its awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354151364494.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1354151364494.jpg
      59.9 KB · Views: 77
    Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    5ajevapu.jpg
    My bowtech assassin with the new doinker tactical. Its awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Nice, my old man has the Bowtech Destoryer 340. Make sure whoever services your bow is Bowtech authorized because the timing on the dual cam is a pain in the but. To the point that the number of turns on your string make a difference in timing.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Glad it worked out for you.

I noticed a sign outside the new Academy that they had an archery range now. I haven't been in there yet.

UPDATE: Don't bother with the archery range! Its a closet about 30' deep! One lane, only meant for testing if you're buying parts from them. They have to have an employee in there with you!

Last edited:

radtuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Archery is pretty addictive...if you get the chance, shoot an Elite bow. You can buy a used Elite and the warranty transfers to the new owner. Nice piece of mind, and excellent bows. I shoot an Elite Pure, and it's smooth as butter.
    John

johnmichael

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Hammond, La
    I used to shoot when I was a kid with a dinky little compound...last year, my good friend got me back into it and I fell hard. Picked up a nice Mission Eliminator 2 that Bowie Outfitters set up for me. Very accurate and really good pricing, made by Matthews. Now, Compound is fun because they're so freaking accurate and easy to shoot.

I picked up a used 1970's Bear Magnum from eBay...you want challenging fun? Grab a recurve and learn instinctive shooting. :)

Also, check out the thread I just started regarding Waddill Wildlife Refuge and their FREE archery range and 3-D trails. Sooooo fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom