Crazy cop!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    http://www.wwltv.com/news/Man-killed-Thursday-morning-in-Gentilly-261069181.html

Updated today at 11:15 AM
    May 29: 2600 Dreux Street

Map Data
    Terms of Use

Map
    VIEW LARGER MAP
    WWLTV.com
    Email: webteam@wwltv.com | Twitter: @WWLTV
    NEW ORLEANS – A homicide in Gentilly has been ruled justifiable by police after investigators determined an armed robber was fatally shot by a law enforcement officer on Dreux Street early Thursday, said Officer Garry Flot, a spokesman for the New Orleans Police Department.
    The unidentified man was fatally wounded in the 2600 block of Dreux Street around 2 a.m. He was taken to the hospital, where he later died.
    According to police, three women called a male friend to get help changing a flat tire on their vehicle. The friend was in process of changing the tire when a man drove up, pointed a gun at one of the women and demanded her purse.
    The man changing the tire told the armed robber he was a law enforcement officer and drew his gun as well. There was exchange of gunfire between the two men, and the robber was hit multiple times.
    The man and women were interviewed and released.

JR1572

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    http://www.wwltv.com/news/Man-killed-Thursday-morning-in-Gentilly-261069181.html

Map Data
    Terms of Use

Map
    VIEW LARGER MAP
    WWLTV.com
    NEW ORLEANS – A homicide in Gentilly has been ruled justifiable by police after investigators determined an armed robber was fatally shot by a law enforcement officer on Dreux Street early Thursday, said Officer Garry Flot, a spokesman for the New Orleans Police Department.
    The unidentified man was fatally wounded in the 2600 block of Dreux Street around 2 a.m. He was taken to the hospital, where he later died.
    According to police, three women called a male friend to get help changing a flat tire on their vehicle. The friend was in process of changing the tire when a man drove up, pointed a gun at one of the women and demanded her purse.
    The man changing the tire told the armed robber he was a law enforcement officer and drew his gun as well. There was exchange of gunfire between the two men, and the robber was hit multiple times.

JR1572

Well isn't that perfect timing for this subject...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Map Data
    Terms of Use

Map
    VIEW LARGER MAP
    WWLTV.com

JR1572

Is this a protocol?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

Map Data
    Terms of Use

Map
    VIEW LARGER MAP
    WWLTV.com

JR1572

Ha, good. :cheers:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Also imagin, even with a open carry, if I was to take my pistol off in front or Walgreens and lay it on the ground loaded, to change a tire, and sombody called the cops or a cop drove by, how many tickets would I get, maybe arrested.... If I had my concealed carry and laid it on the ground loaded, Im sure I would loose my lic. And get a couple tickets, or arrested also, it's a crazy thing to do cop or civilian,

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Even though a high/drunk thug prob couldn't figure out how to get the pistol out of that level 3 holster or what ever type of retention holster it is, lol

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Also imagin, even with a open carry, if I was to take my pistol off in front or Walgreens and lay it on the ground loaded, to change a tire, and sombody called the cops or a cop drove by, how many tickets would I get, maybe arrested.... If I had my concealed carry and laid it on the ground loaded, Im sure I would loose my lic. And get a couple tickets, or arrested also, it's a crazy thing to do cop or civilian,

Why do you think you would be arrested for this? Secondly, if you just told a responding officer what you were doing, he would probably either offer to help or just tell you to be a bit safer with leaving your gun on the ground. If you had a friend standing there holding it, or letting it lay by his feet, it would be an even different story (and less of a big deal).

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    What does LSU request?

The standard issue uniform green uniform we've had for 5 or 6 years with the metal badge and pins, and hats are mandatory. I've heard they may want us to start wearing high-vis vests too to increase visibility, but that's not official yet

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The standard issue uniform green uniform we've had for 5 or 6 years with the metal badge and pins, and hats are mandatory. I've heard they may want us to start wearing high-vis vests too to increase visibility, but that's not official yet

Ah cool. That would make sense for football games and events with lots of people there. Being able to pick out a officer real fast could definitely be a plus in many circumferences.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I still want to know why the cop in the WWL article that shot the armed robber had to announce he was a cop BEFORE shooting him?!?

Is he compelled by protocol or not?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I still want to know why the cop in the WWL article that shot the armed robber had to announce he was a cop BEFORE shooting him?!?

Is he compelled by protocol or not?

I'm betting on muscle memory. We use "loud verbal commands" on most rounds of fire during qualifications. "Police don't move!" Bang!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm betting on muscle memory. We use "loud verbal commands" on most rounds of fire during qualifications. "Police don't move!" Bang!

But was that official protocol? Did he HAVE to announce by some SSOP?

If not, I wonder why he would even waste any time to give the scumbag any chance to gain an advantage.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    But was that official protocol? Did he HAVE to announce by some SSOP?

If not, I wonder why he would even waste any time to give the scumbag any chance to gain an advantage.

No. Muscle memory is a crazy thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No. Muscle memory is a crazy thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Okay. Thanks!

I'm currently learning a lot about muscle memory. Interestingly, when it comes to what you guys do and what we CCers do; it's both a good thing and a bad thing.

Learning it's the same for combat soldiers too.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Learning it's the same for humans too.

Fixed it for you. We are creatures of habit. That's why in nightclub fires, responders find piles of dead bodies stacked up by the main entrance door. They fight the large crowd to squeeze through the same entrance doors they came in, when there are 3 sometimes 4 more points of egress from the same assembly space.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Fixed it for you. We are creatures of habit. That's why in nightclub fires, responders find piles of dead bodies stacked up by the main entrance door. They fight the large crowd to squeeze through the same entrance doors they came in, when there are 3 sometimes 4 more points of egress from the same assembly space.

Possibly avoided with environmental and situational awareness! ;)

Top Bottom