Cycling - road bike vs dual sport

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Debating on road bike or dual sport. My main focus is road riding and not a whole lot of trail riding. I prefer blazing through a highway but I also appreciate a good off road adventure even though I don't do much of it or if any at all. I prefer lightweight, streamlined racers but I also like the option of trail capability, if needed. I now have shoulder issues so the question of riding stance is now an issue. Is riding upright beneficial or detremental to my torn and calcified rotary cuff as opposed to a more aggressive and forward riding position as in a road bike with drop bars or aero bars? What do you prefer to ride? Keep in mind that I am addressing mostly road cyclist that may face this debate of true full on road bike or having the mild off road option. Also, any advice on riding position for cyclists with shoulder issues. Thanks

DStewart

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    New Orleans
    If I were you I would go with a hybrid (dual sport). I have a Felt road bike and I swear if it even sees grass it wants to lay over. I had to get a Trek mountain bike because I, like you, enjoy both road and off road but didn't want the hybrid.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Why not get a road bike and a Mt bike? If only one bike, I would lean towards a hybrid, or a Mt bike with some slicks and a set of knobbies for off road.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    A hybrid is kind of like a Fish and Ski boat. You can do both with it, but its not really very good at either.
    It will be inefficient on the road, especially if you are comparing to your current road bike. (Slicks would help, but the riding position is just not conducive to high output/going fast....
    Pushing beyond a gravel road, or simple, flat, single track, and you won't be satisfied with its offroad prowess either.

I'm not familiar with you injury, possibly getting properly fitted, along with a set of aero bars on your current bike may take some of the load off. Going from my road frame, to my tri/time trial bike; noticeably less stress on shoulders, arms, etc over longer periods of time.
    Hope this helps.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Hybrids on trails suck. A lot. If you are gonna ride on trails, get a mt bike, if not, get a street bike. My mt bike has a front shock lockout that makes it slightly better to ride on the street than a normal one...but a street bike still blows it away.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Hybrids on trails suck. A lot. If you are gonna ride on trails, get a mt bike, if not, get a street bike. My mt bike has a front shock lockout that makes it slightly better to ride on the street than a normal one...but a street bike still blows it away.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

OT, front shock lockout? LOL, I am riding an antique mt bike.

squirrels2k

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2013
    Alexandria
    These days alot of companies sell both comfort and race road bikes. both will give you the speed you are looking for but the comfort bikes will give you more of an upright position to lessen the stress on your shoulder. i've been through a few bikes getting to where i am now. started with a 29" mountain bike with a lockout front fork and an extra set of road wheels, went to a hybrid and then finally settled on both a road (comfort) and mountain bike. 90% of the time you are only gonna do one or the other at any given time anyway. honestly my mountain bike barely gets used anymore unfortunately. being in east texas doesnt help. the best advice i was given when shopping was to try them all out. take test rides, try different components and just like with anything else decide on a budget.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Funny-I thought you were talking about a sport bike or a dual sport bike....motorcycle, that is.

Dual Sport Bike (motorcycle) without hesitation.

Dirty

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Realistically, I'm looking at 90% road as opposed to trail. Not enough trails in NOLA but plenty of "open" road to go fast. Components are key to a less stressful but productive ride as well as frame geometry. I prefer a more aggressive riding position to cut drag. Drop bars seem to take the load of my shoulders.

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    No "road bike" is going to work on the trails - there is no getting around it. That being said, you could get a 29" mountain bike and set it up with slick tires to ride on the road but remember that you will be slower so group rides are not going to be an option unless there are others with the same set up. The new "emerging" catagory is the gravel grinder. See Niner RLT. Basically a road bike that has MTB hub spacing so that you can run 29" mtb wheels or cyclocross wheels with disc brakes. This will allow you to eide on the road as well as on gravel roads and smooth trails. Not very good for the tight twisty trails in NO and BR. As far as your shoulder is concerned, in my experience the lower riding position does not affect the shoulder too much. I crashed in the Rouge Roubaix and rode 70 miles with a partial tear of the rotator cuff.

Top Bottom