dang....high cholesterol....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    had to take an extensive physical for my new job....

results came back with high cholesterol (total = 203, HDL = 97, LDL = 136.6, ratio puts me in moderate risk category)

I am 28, 5'5.5", 160lbs.

I had to stop working out about a month ago due to moving and a cracked rib, hopefully in a couple weeks I can get back to it, I intend to stay the same weight, but lose some fat and replace with muscle mass. I had been going to the gym doing weights and cardio every day for 4 days a week...

Any other suggestions to get my cholesterol numbers in better shape?

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    look up a heart healthy diet..

lots and lots of veggies, greens, very , very little meat..
    nothing on the order of eggs, bacon, mayo,..

suppliments to take .. fish oil, vit b complex, vit e..

welcome to growing in the south!

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Seriously.

Try to deal with the issue by adusting your diet and excercise first.

I haven't seen many favorable side effects from the cholesterol meds.
    Seem like they can be pretty hard on the liver.

Good Luck!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    JD......I'm givin you my secret to life, but don't tell anyone

Apple Cider Vinegar

Not the store varity, look up Braggs apple cider vinegar

I use the ACV drink for several years now...

It has fixed hi blood pressure, normal was 160 X 90 before ...

I was on HiBP meds for several years, they worked, but dammit, it was meds

The meds did the job, 130 X 70.....but now

Using the acv I hold the same and plus fixed acid reflux, I can eat anything I want...I drink a little beer as well

Just no way in a post to tell you all the benifits, get the book from the Braggs website..LOL , if the AMA hasn't had it pulled

I'm testifyn that it works and I can turn U on to several others who have seriously used it...IT WORKS

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    look up a heart healthy diet..

lots and lots of veggies, greens, very , very little meat..
    nothing on the order of eggs, bacon, mayo,..

suppliments to take .. fish oil, vit b complex, vit e..

welcome to growing in the south!

won't work for me, at least, not on the meat part. Not only do I love meat, but I need a healthy dose of protein when I have been working out. (try, an egg, a chicken breast, either a piece of fish or can of tuna, and a protien shake on gym days.....

the rest of it is fine, I don't touch bacon or sausage when I can avoid it, actually, I tend to avoid pork, I stick with chicken and fish mostly, and on occasion some beef as a treat. I have been eating alot more green stuff, including even spinach. And I hate mayo.

dydog4566

LA CHP Instructor # 411
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Greenwell Springs,LA
    At your age, sounds like this may be a heredity problem. However, Vit E, Fish Oil, and garlic supplements will help. If you are really serious, get off all the white stuff, sugar, flour , salt, it will do wonders for your overall health, salt will be the most difficult, its in every damn thing and hidden.....way more than we need too. but if you learn to season stuff with herbs and peppers it can be done.

gocoastal

I'm a girl.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    NOLA
    won't work for me, at least, not on the meat part. Not only do I love meat, but I need a healthy dose of protein when I have been working out. (try, an egg, a chicken breast, either a piece of fish or can of tuna, and a protien shake on gym days.....

the rest of it is fine, I don't touch bacon or sausage when I can avoid it, actually, I tend to avoid pork, I stick with chicken and fish mostly, and on occasion some beef as a treat. I have been eating alot more green stuff, including even spinach. And I hate mayo.

That's a pretty legit-sounding diet - lean meat, maybe cut out eggs since they are notoriously high in cholesterol.
    How do you cook your food? Make sure your chicken isn't fried. Baking is good, steaming is better but some people just don't like steamed meat.
    Try increasing your fiber intake as well.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010

If you're like most people who work out, you're probably ingesting too much protein. HOWEVER, if you would see me and my obese body, you would say, "what makes you qualified to give health and fitness advice?" So.... I usually just shut up. ;)

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    JD, did the doc offer a nutritionist or dietician to help you adjust your diet? And by "alot" of meat, like DeafDave said, what's the percentage there? Track your meals for a few weeks. everything you eat. See how it shakes out. little numbers add up big.

And yes, I know protein and the gym goes hand in hand, but it's a balance. An all protein diet isn't a healthy one no matter what you do.

no yolks. switch to egg whites.

It sounds girlie, but I'm using a website called DailyPlate.com. It helps track and keeps a fairly good account of how you're eating.

Hope you get the numbers down! :)

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That only helps if you have a grandson living in the same home who has a big math test coming up.

LOL......and has the tendency to ask repeatedly "watts collessstrolll??"

But seriously, you might want to give the "more fiber" approach. Also, Fish oil suppliment tablets has been known to help some people, as well as garlic.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Cholesterol of 203 ? Jesus , man . Don't freak out . Heredity does play a part in all of that . My Mother has had high cholesterol numbers for YEARS , in spite of diet and meds . She's 80 yrs old and still rolling . You're living a healthy lifestyle , that's the main thing .

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    It is hereditary, I know that, but thought that I was doing a better job of keeping it all in check...guess not.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Smart Balanced Diet

Morning Mr. Dean

To start off I know your an intelligent guy you own a Pt-145 thats great!

On a serious note for about a year now I have done most of what everyone suggested, no white, no reeses, no eggs, etc and have lost 36 lbs and only 9 pounds away from my target.

I added an Avacado daily to my diet as well and Flax seed that I buy hole and gring myself also used daily. As for as the oils, my suggestion forget fish oil KRILL Oil is the only way to go. No fish oil burp bad taste! Do the research and be careful there are several choices there also.

Feel better now than I did 10-12 years ago and I'm a seasoned citizen.

Good luck it takes some getting used to however WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!

Top Bottom