Daves gun shop raided by atf in lafayette la

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    should be where if they loose the case they gotta foot the bill... bet they wouldnt be doing all theys hair brain, fly by night cases they know they cannot win just to slow and degrade the character or business

Correct.
    About $30,000 up front for a Tier 1 Criminal Law Attorney to respond to them if it is settled without going to court.
    If the Attorney has to represent you in court add about $350 per hour.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    According to the owner’s wife on social media, the ATF raided the shop and their home. When the owner’s wife and their attorney showed up, the ATF cut the feed to the security cameras and would not let them in. She also said the judge would not provide a copy of the warrant. From what I’ve been reading, this is possibly due to an ex-employee sending a tip to the ATF that they were selling without a license. The owner’s wife made a comment about not needing a license to sell personal property.

Sounds like a lawsuit.

I know you are just quoting what she said but I’m a little confused by her statement. First of all, selling what? A gun store without a license? Selling marijuana without a license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Wait???

The gunsmith wasn't keeping an A&D book, and the ATF let him off with a warning ? Gee, those bad bad guys.

Sounds like a bunch of cowboys. All the ones I know aren’t going to mess with you over BS. They aren’t looking to add extra paperwork to their plate just to screw with people.

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    I know you are just quoting what she said but I’m a little confused by her statement. First of all, selling what? A gun store without a license? Selling marijuana without a license?

I believe they were personally buying ammo and reselling it bagged by the 100 of .223. I was their a few weeks back and at check out. I asked the price of the bags they told me $100 per bag. I said NOPE. HAHA the clerk said they were buying ammo that was the only way they could get ammo. The boxes they had on the shelf were all odd cal.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I believe they were personally buying ammo and reselling it bagged by the 100 of .223. I was their a few weeks back and at check out. I asked the price of the bags they told me $100 per bag. I said NOPE. HAHA the clerk said they were buying ammo that was the only way they could get ammo. The boxes they had on the shelf were all odd cal.

Is that illegal? Not good for business but is it illegal to zip-lock and flip ammo?

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    Is that illegal? Not good for business but is it illegal to zip-lock and flip ammo?
    Not if they are selling "personal" stock. I'm sure its a gray line for it to be on the shelf. But the atf my just be poking the nest to see what happens. Imho

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Well, She's right you know?

Is she now? Is it legal for an FFL holder to sell his/her personal property without a 4473? Always?

No. It's not.

Sounds like a bunch of cowboys. All the ones I know aren’t going to mess with you over BS. They aren’t looking to add extra paperwork to their plate just to screw with people.

Yep. Most of them will try to steer you right. They're not out for blood.

It is illegal to manufacture ammunition for sale without an FFL06. Selling ammo in ziplock bags would certainly lend to the appearance of selling remanufactured ammunition. I certainly would not allow that to happen.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

From Instagram.

according to the agents, we were selling guns without a license. It is legal to sell your personal property.

She also said it involved former employees

both of our former employees were involved... The whole thing is weird

And she made multiple comments about the ATF agents not providing a complete warrant stating reasons for the raids at both locations

it wasn't listed on the warrant other than probable cause. The agents didn't have all of the pages of the warrant and said they usually don't provide it right then. Our attorney has contacted the judge that signed it and the ATF and no one will tell us anything

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

If that's the case, they are going to get burned for it.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Is she now? Is it legal for an FFL holder to sell his/her personal property without a 4473? Always?

No. It's not.

Yep. Most of them will try to steer you right. They're not out for blood.

It is illegal to manufacture ammunition for sale without an FFL06. Selling ammo in ziplock bags would certainly lend to the appearance of selling remanufactured ammunition. I certainly would not allow that to happen.

I don't know the personal restrictions placed on an FFL holder, Is there something along those lines on you 'res, Just trying to clarify

Oh yeah, That's a big no no there Need that FFL06, I wouldn't do it even if I knew what I was doing, Stuff blows up in someone's hand...bad juju

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Yep, sounds as if years of shady practices by owners and former employees caught up with them. They are innocent until proven guilty but it doesn’t sound good based on the limited info provided. Their attorney should tell them to stay off Facebook.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I don't know the personal restrictions placed on an FFL holder, Is there something along those lines on you 'res, Just trying to clarify

Oh yeah, That's a big no no there Need that FFL06, I wouldn't do it even if I knew what I was doing, Stuff blows up in someone's hand...bad juju

FFL holders that absorb inventory into their personal collection have to hold it for at least a year before they can dispose of it without a Fm 4473.

It's really best for an FFL holder that wants to sell a firearm to dispose if it thru their A&D book, to avoid any questions.

So yes, there are restrictions on how an FFL holder can dispose of his/her own personal property.

Not sure what the 'two former employees' were doing. If they were buying guns from the shop, and flipping them to buddies they could be in violation if it's construed as straw purchases. Note: Just speculating. Not suggesting that is what transpired.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    FFL holders that absorb inventory into their personal collection have to hold it for at least a year before they can dispose of it without a Fm 4473.

It's really best for an FFL holder that wants to sell a firearm to dispose if it thru their A&D book, to avoid any questions.

So yes, there are restrictions on how an FFL holder can dispose of his/her own personal property.

Not sure what the 'two former employees' were doing. If they were buying guns from the shop, and flipping them to buddies they could be in violation if it's construed as straw purchases. Note: Just speculating. Not suggesting that is what transpired.

Thanks for the clarification wasn't aware of the 1year time and all Tks

Philt1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Lafayette La.
    Jeremiah has ripped so many ppl off WHO the hell would buy anything from that **** . Took me for 200.00 on a tax stamp . Just kept avoiding me not returning my calls untill I got it he wasn't going to refund my money . Buyer beware , will NEVER deal with that crook again . ATF is probably not finished with him

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The ATF has their flaws but they don’t typically just raid FFLs without a reason. Maybe that is the case, or maybe it isn’t. There’s ALWAYS more to the story. I’d wait for more details before demonizing anyone.

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    The ATF has their flaws but they don’t typically just raid FFLs without a reason. Maybe that is the case, or maybe it isn’t. There’s ALWAYS more to the story. I’d wait for more details before demonizing anyone.

I talked to an ATF agent one time. He said they are not about *counting their kills* and may talk to a FFL holder and basically give a warning. They may very well check to see if the holder is doing things correctly after the warning is given. If he is, it’s over.

SpeedRacer, I did not mean to quote you. I am not computer savvy.

Last edited:

riverrat66

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2016
    The hills of St Helena parish
    Not trying to cry wolf but this sort of thing might be a lot more common next 4 years. They start with the small shops that cant afford to legally fight for themselves. Then the larger companies fall into line. I hope im wrong but the left has been bold about their views on the 2nd amendment and they are in power. Just sayin.....

TheWhiteHorse

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2018
    lafayette
    I went in about a year ago to see what they would offer for a few guns. I had a psl, a model a uzi carbine, 2 ak 47's, a desert eagle, along with a few baby eagles and a few other things. They offered me 700 for everything. I said no thank you and left with everything never to return. I know they need to make a profit but the offer was so low ball that it was offending.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I don't know these people, All I know is Deaf Dave retired several years ago, Some employees bought him out, They expanded the store some, Before it was like a shotgun house.

Never heard of any illegal activities going on at Daves other than shooting a customer by accidental discharge.

shooting a customer on accident?!?!? Man that has to be #1 on the list of things not to do when working at a gun shop lol.

Top Bottom