Deer kicks DOGS ARSE!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007

Deer was using natural instinct .....but in a neighborhood. Dog minding it's own business. Deer Chili is hard to beat. looks like a blacktail doe. She would eat good. Sorry deer! My predatory instinct would rule....even in a neighborhood!

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    The dogs listed weren't listed because they are just bigger; they have high prey drive, dominance, fight drive and in the case of ANY breed crossed with a Pit Bull, the strong will to dispatch other animals. Especially if attacked.

Check out the dogs on www.boardogs.com Why one would own overly domesticated stock when the suburbs of many cities overrun with wildlife puzzles me. A catchdog, be it a "bulldog" of American or Pit Bull variety or a mix of the two, Catahoula, Airedale or an example of the few working strain deerhounds would make a better (yet much more challenging) canine companion who won't much hesitate to throttle the life out of four-legged critters and break arms of thuggish humans at the blink of an eye if provoked.

And you can enjoy paying large legal bills when it mauls somebody for walking too close to your house!

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Training a dog is not difficult but it is rarely done. That and a good fence eliminates that hazard. We allowed zero human aggressive behavior from the Pit Bulldog we once owned. He was trained very well (until in the presence of other fur-bearing critters like coons, stray cats or aggressive dogs). Even with a "no human aggression mandate" he still stopped two persons - one with a bite the other with a full body check for showing aggression towards me. My kind of dog.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree, a pitbull can be a loving dog ... But how do you issue a mandate to a dog? ;)

;)

what many don't understand is that the dog must be protected from humans teasing and provoking it or your efforts will be neutralized or totally undermined. For example, I kept him around women and children and never allowed anyone agitate him. This way he never identified humans as a real threat unless you fought someone in his presence then he'd intervene. I don't believe this to be unique; I've witnessed this behavior in numerous, well socialized dogs. They like peace and generally defend the family - especially he young children so it's imperative that the children and their friends be carefully screened and taught - and supervised when in the presence of the dog.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    ;)

what many don't understand is that the dog must be protected from humans teasing and provoking it or your efforts will be neutralized or totally undermined.

That makes a world of sense and is frequently implemented in cat homes. :)

It's all fun and cute when you have an eight week old kitten pouncing your fingers and biting playfully.

Then you have a 15lb cat biting your hands to get attention and many, many cats have been sent back to the shelter for that reason. It's how we got our Lunatic.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm guilty, Cat. I adore kittens; I find them irresistable. I also like to play with their predatory instincts. I have never owned a cat but I can imagine the frustration of having a grown cat using it's teeth and claws to get his/her way.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'm guilty too. But I'm forgiving of that particular habit as many. If you're prepared to live with it, that's great. But it's just best overall because cats can learn bad habits just like dogs.

Okay, I'm finished hijacking.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That was probably somewhere out West, because the doe looked like a Blacktail Deer, not a Whitetail. Yes, she would have been a threat to anyone she thought was threatening her fawn. I hear blacktail does are VERY protective of their young. She would likely get up on her hind legs and do the same thing to an adult or a child.

Either way, I agree- backstrap it would be.

EDIT: Check that- looks more like a mule deer. Either way, shoot her & skin her.

Last edited:

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    That deer was WAY too comfortable around people and pets. It was also aggressive. That dog was WELL away and appeared NOT to be the aggressor. I vote one dead deer to protect the community. That deer could EASILY kill a child "protecting its baby."

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom