"Delayed" while purchasing a firearm today...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    I bought a new toy today. :D ...

This times makes twice that I bought a firearm, and the call to the Feds came back as "delayed." I thankfully was able to walk out with the gun a few minutes later.

I have no criminal record and a fairly rare last name. What gives? Is one automatically delayed if purchasing certain calibers? (9mm and .223)?

Just curious as to why someone with a squeaky clean record should start getting flak from the Feds...

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    They know what u did last summer cuz lol or they talked to the IRS, don't feel bad I used to get a 4 day delay every time for being Hispanic until I got a UPIN.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Just curious as to why someone with a squeaky clean record should start getting flak from the Feds...

Probably the same reason flight 19 vanished. I heard an employee at Cabela's say to a customer that some sort of Hazmat card or rating sometimes got people delayed???, but you know how reliable most of those stories are I'm sure.

shroom14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    prairieville ,la
    Did list it.

It happened when I bought a 9mm pistol...
    Did not happen when buying a .22 rifle..
    and DID happen when buying an AR15

Perhaps it has to do with the firearm itself ?

It has nothing to do with the caliber when the background is called in the caliber is not mentioned. just if it is a handgun or long gun

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I went through a period of getting delayed everytime, and then like magic, no delays for years, then one or two delays in the middle of many without delay. Can't make sense of it other than the luck of the draw and how busy/lazy they are at the time.

I can say, in my experience, that they will never call back once you've been delayed, but if you get the FFL to call them back to check, it will often be good to go, sometimes as soon as within an hour.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I got two pistols within 2 months of each other from the same shop and same guy behind the counter. The first purchase (M&P .45) went off with no delay, while the second (Ruger LCR) was delayed around an hour, at which point they called me and I drove back the next morning.

Gave the SSN for both purchases, as I have nothing to hide. Not a single thing changed between those two purchases, either. Thought it was a bit strange, but hey-- gave me an excuse to go back to the shop the second day. :D

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    It seems to be random. I was delayed twice while buying at Academy, but haven't been delayed in two years, (no further Academy purchases). No idea as to why.

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    Who knows!! I've been delayed twice in the past, years apart, but not a bad hardship. I don't know why and I am legal. I have been cleared by the Secret Service to be "on location" 3 times, have a clearance, and a carry permit. I know it'll workout. Now if I get denied that's another story.

Parlow

Type 07/Class 02 SOT
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    The delay is probably so the feds can inform the IRS that you are purchasing a gun. The Feds and the IRS know that people won't report their guns and serial numbers on their tax returns like required. Its just big brother staying one step ahead of us.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I get delayed about every other time, it sucks. I think it has something to do with the 32 other covicted felons in Louisiana with the same exact first and last name with me their is even on with the same first last and middle name as me. Even though I do put my SS# on the form every time.

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    The delay is probably so the feds can inform the IRS that you are purchasing a gun. The Feds and the IRS know that people won't report their guns and serial numbers on their tax returns like required. Its just big brother staying one step ahead of us.

:dogkeke:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom