"Delayed" while purchasing a firearm today...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    The delay is probably so the feds can inform the IRS that you are purchasing a gun. The Feds and the IRS know that people won't report their guns and serial numbers on their tax returns like required. Its just big brother staying one step ahead of us.

:confused: Is this for real? I thought I had heard something about this but did not think it passed. please state law which requires this.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    "Delayed" simply means the folks on the other end of the line were on their donut break when your call came through. ;)

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    The delay is probably so the feds can inform the IRS that you are purchasing a gun. The Feds and the IRS know that people won't report their guns and serial numbers on their tax returns like required. Its just big brother staying one step ahead of us.

What section are you supposed to report these on?

petelanca

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Grand Lake 70607
    I'd like to see the statistics on how many delays detered crime or turned up additional info on an individual that resulted in a non approval. Or maybe if we hire 2500 more NCIS workers they could have more delays. I think thats how the Gov works?? Private business would be forced to consolidate IRS/ATF for efficiency and sub the clerks to Bangladesh.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I usually handle several NICS calls a day for firearm sales, and I believe that SOMETIMES people may get delayed because of a miscomunication between the FFL and the NICS examiner when reading the information off the 4473. Even though the information is read, and repeated back, I am willing to bet that it happens fairly often when someone who never gets delayed gets delayed.

Parlow

Type 07/Class 02 SOT
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Lafayette, La

:confused: Is this for real? I thought I had heard something about this but did not think it passed. please state law which requires this.

What section are you supposed to report these on?

That was all a hoax. I was trying to give a little comic relief on a unpleasant situation. Sorry if I confused the situation. Here is the link that clears up the rumors.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/common/faq/SB2099.shtml

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Speaking of crap, there is a ton of it in here. lol

1. Caliber or make of weapon has nothing to do with it.
    That info is not relayed to NICS at all.

2. Give your SS# it can only help you.

3. Your FFL should NOT be calling to see whats up with your application. You and he should know how it works, if they call back with a # your good. If they dont your still good after x# of days.

I have some customers who get escalated every time. Some are even alphabet popo's

The first person to answer the phone is just a customer service person. If there is an issue you can be escalated to another customer service person who has a little higher sec. clearance. This usually gets you out the door but not every time.
    Sometimes they tell you they are Delayed right off the bat. Sometimes its because they're systems are backed up.
    Its not the end of the world. That comes from a guy who has a tinfoil hat smiley named after him. :todd::todd::todd::todd:So take it for what its worth.

I know this only because I asked them.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I've called back several times for out-of-town customers who had been delayed. A few have been cleared to proceed within an hour or so, saving them a return trip. But usually they must wait the 3 days. Only had a few come back denied.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    My dad (pistol) & I (rifle) both get a gun & called in at the same time. He gets OK'd immediately. I wait 45 minutes.

My dad & I both get a gun (rifles) & called in at the same time. He gets OK'd immediately. I wait 45 minutes.

Next time I go to buy a pistol I plan ahead for delay. I call ahead & check to see if the gun is in stock & what closing time is. I'm picturing there is some guy with my name in Jersey who's a convict or something and even brace myself for the rejection. I get OK'd pronto. I took my new toy & got out.

I think it is like Rockmup & others have said, just random.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I get delayed every time and they never call back. Not a big deal when I'm going to a gun shop. However, it totally ruins gun shows for me. Alot of the sellers in our gun shows are from down south.

Got arrested 15 years ago for drunk and disorderly then released 3 hours later on my own "recogniscence" (sp?) so I guess I have a record.............?

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Theres no telling.

i've even had them call me days later with an approval # for a delay. Only thing is there was no delay. 3 times

Just retarded

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Gave the SSN for both purchases, as I have nothing to hide.

I've never listed mine and I've never been delayed. My reason for not listing is not because I have anything to hide, because I don't. I don't like using that number for purposes which it was never intended. It's linked to entirely too many things already (mainly my personal financial info) and the less I have to splash it around, the better. It's not on my DL because I made the FAA come up with a pseudo number for my Airman's Certificate and that's the same number I use with my health care provider. Same thing with my kids' schools; they had to come up with a unique ID number for them too.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I bought a new toy today. :D ...

This times makes twice that I bought a firearm, and the call to the Feds came back as "delayed." I thankfully was able to walk out with the gun a few minutes later.

I have no criminal record and a fairly rare last name. What gives? Is one automatically delayed if purchasing certain calibers? (9mm and .223)?

Just curious as to why someone with a squeaky clean record should start getting flak from the Feds...

I have bought close to 100 guns over the years and have been delayed 3 times. One time was when I was going through a divorce. One time was when I had purchased 3 or 4 guns in a week......:p

Not sure on the third time.

I dont like getting delayed but it does happen once in a blue moon.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I've never listed mine and I've never been delayed. My reason for not listing is not because I have anything to hide, because I don't. I don't like using that number for purposes which it was never intended. It's linked to entirely too many things already (mainly my personal financial info) and the less I have to splash it around, the better. It's not on my DL because I made the FAA come up with a pseudo number for my Airman's Certificate and that's the same number I use with my health care provider. Same thing with my kids' schools; they had to come up with a unique ID number for them too.

Fair enough, and I agree with you that it's overused for the wrong purposes. Mine has been splashed around for college (and we all know how secure THAT information is), so I don't think twice about giving it over for a Federal Background check. Anything even questionable, however, and I'm with you-- that number stays a secret.

I do know that there are a number of people that share my name who do have felony arrests. I suppose I give it to avoid any delay that such a situation might create.

I snagged a new shotgun the other day with no delay at all. As fast as the FFL (thanks, James!) could give the information, the purchase was confirmed.

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I've been delayed several times. Other times it goes right through. As far as I can remember, I was delayed for a Ruger Hawkey Tactical .308 at Gator Guns in Sulphur, LA. A shotgun at Walmart, and a .22 mag at a different walmart. It sucks, but I've been proceeded immediately 95% of the time.

For the record -- Gator Guns in Sulphur has very knowledgable staff and great customer service, buying from them was a good experience, the delay in getting the rifle allowing more BS time with guys in the shop!! If they were closer to my house, they would have alot of my business.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Guel24
    Top Bottom