Do you keep your gun while in the car?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Something I've noticed with many concealed carry permit holders is that most take their gun off after getting in the vehicle, especially if it is for a longer ride. Here is our latest video on this topic. If you like the content, then don't forget to subscribe to our channel. It is new, but we have plenty of more content coming.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Ankle holster! Even if I have to remove the 19 on a long drive, the 26 on my ankle is in the perfect spot for quick access.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Ankle holster! Even if I have to remove the 19 on a long drive, the 26 on my ankle is in the perfect spot for quick access.

Buckle up in your vehicle and practice drawing from a waistband holster and then from an ankle holster. Do the same thing outside your vehicle and you may change your mind.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Great video. Learn how to draw in your vehicle from your normal carry position; and also practice removing your seatbelt. I have a habit of taking my seat belt off as I enter a parking lot or pull up at home. Ankle holster as a backup is great; I felt the need to have a gun in hand before once a conversation started taking a different route than planned. Having one in an ankle holster, I was able to get to it quickly and no one even saw that I had it ready.

Last edited:

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I think you nailed it at 2:04. If its uncomfortable, find another mode of carry. I have it on me for not only quick access, but also so the firearm is secure. After working some pretty horrific accidents with basically every personal object in the vehicle scattered across the street and in ditches, I realized just how unsafe it is to have you gun hanging in the door, glove compartment, or glove box. If for some reason your vehicle flips and you find yourseld in a situatuon where you need to use firearm, such as a road rage incident, good luck finding it.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If for some reason your vehicle flips and you find yourseld in a situatuon where you need to use firearm, such as a road rage incident, good luck finding it.

It may well be in the hands of the angry drunk approaching your overturned SUV. I'm fine for having one in the glove compartment or whatever, but on body carry needs to be tandem. Depending on where I am throughout my day (car, car#2, office, home, etc) I may have more guns, but I never have less than i started with. (ie, one on my hip)

Last edited:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Subscribed Barett. Great to see a local trainer posting thoughts on youtube.

Been using the Gum Creek Vehicle mount for about 6 months now. I transition to my holster when getting out of the vehicle and it has become part of my routine. Still searching for that perfect carry method and hoster. Hope it even exists!

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I usually adjust my OWB holster slightly to drive, pushing it all the way to my right hip, so its not strapped under the seat belt, and move it foward to conseal better when I get out. I can't carry at work, so I haven't tried IWB and tucked shirts.

I've been using a shoulder holster some lately and really like it. The huge drawback is needing to keep a jacket or coat on, and I probably wouldn't like running with a heavy 4inch barreled semi in it, but everything else I like. Unless I reach way out for something, my left arm is continuosly monitoring the pistols presence, I never have to think about whether its consealed or exposed, and in close quarters with other people, I don't have to think that anyone might have better access to it than I do. The shoulder rig just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I think you nailed it at 2:04. If its uncomfortable, find another mode of carry. I have it on me for not only quick access, but also so the firearm is secure. After working some pretty horrific accidents with basically every personal object in the vehicle scattered across the street and in ditches, I realized just how unsafe it is to have you gun hanging in the door, glove compartment, or glove box. If for some reason your vehicle flips and you find yourself in a situation where you need to use firearm, such as a road rage incident, good luck finding it.

Very good advice- and something to remember. I've had the misfortune of being in such a wreck- and anything inside that truck that wasn't fastened down was a moving projectile. Imagine being inside a clothes dryer. :dunno:

That reinforced my beliefs in seat belts- and holsters.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom