Don't bother taking your AK to Precision anymore

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Well, look at it like this.

When you go into the shooting bays, you have on all of your PPE, they don't. So what sounds like a pop to you is actually a bang to them out there.

Agreed. It only takes an extra half second to wait for that first door to close.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Happened to me as well. I have to say they were pretty much dicks and I won't be back.

They yelled at you because they have big huge signs that say OPEN ONE DOOR AT A TIME and you either chose to ignore them or left your reading glasses at home in which case you shouldn't be shooting.

I have seen them be very nice to people that do stupid things and very short with people who break minor rules. It all depends on the attitude of the stupid person.

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I went there once with my AR and they wanted to make sure I wasn't using any green tips. So maybe they just don't want 7.62x39 there because most of it is steel core, which I guess screws up the metal more easily.

If it's because they don't want wannabe thugs shooting there, they ought to just outlaw pants around the knees and hats that still have their price labels.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    It obviously has more to do with damaging equipment than the clientele if they are banning the round and not the weapon system.

I don't blame them.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    I So maybe they just don't want 7.62x39 there because most of it is steel core, which I guess screws up the metal more easily.

Steel core 7.62 x 39 hasn't been imported since 1989. The VAST majority of 7.62 x 39 is standard lead core FMJ or JHP.

The anti-AK, anti-7.62 x 39 is an attempt to stop a certain clientele from coming in and dumping ammo down range & tearing up the facility by shooting the walls, the target wires, etc.

At Diamond, they had the same problem. They still allow members to shoot rifle & shotgun, though.

Last edited:

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Ben,
    It's good that they yelled at you for that! There are 2 doors, and with both of them closed, it keeps 99% of the noise out of the common showroom area. Think about if you had that door open and opening the second door while some dood is cranking off his fortay, it's pretty loud.

You also have to think that these guys are working there and trying to control the noise that we make constantly.

Well, look at it like this.

When you go into the shooting bays, you have on all of your PPE, they don't. So what sounds like a pop to you is actually a bang to them out there.

They yelled at you because they have big huge signs that say OPEN ONE DOOR AT A TIME and you either chose to ignore them or left your reading glasses at home in which case you shouldn't be shooting.

I have seen them be very nice to people that do stupid things and very short with people who break minor rules. It all depends on the attitude of the stupid person.

I had already been in and out a few times making certain that the doors closed before proceeding. Before we left, I went back in and shot the plates. As I was walking back out, I was replaying my hits and misses in my head and was too preoccupied to remember the doors. I screwed up. But yelling at me the way the guy did was over the top and inappropriate.
    I'm not just talking about a "Hey Jackass, read the sign and keep the door closed." It's been to long for me to remember specifics, all I can remember is the attitude that went with it. I do remember that I apologized only to be belittled some more. But enough of that. I'll just stick with Barney's.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    On an unrelated note, the last time I went there (maybe the second or 3rd time I've ever been) I got yelled at like a stepchild because I forgot to let the first door close before I opened the second. Yall can have that place.

Happened to me as well. I have to say they were pretty much dicks and I won't be back.

I had already been in and out a few times making certain that the doors closed before proceeding. Before we left, I went back in and shot the plates. As I was walking back out, I was replaying my hits and misses in my head and was too preoccupied to remember the doors. I screwed up. But yelling at me the way the guy did was over the top and inappropriate.
    I'm not just talking about a "Hey Jackass, read the sign and keep the door closed." It's been to long for me to remember specifics, all I can remember is the attitude that went with it. I do remember that I apologized only to be belittled some more. But enough of that. I'll just stick with Barney's.
    READ THE DAMN SIGNS!!! as for the excuse, if you are that absent minded then I'm glad you aren't going anymore to the range that I use. SAFETY FIRST

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm with Ben. So some loud sounds came out. Whoopty do. I can see if someone is being unsafe in their firearm handling but a door infraction isn't something to go off on. In my mind I'm picturing that old dude that works/worked there. I don't think I've ever been there when he hasn't had a dick-ish attitude. And he hasn't even scolded me. Every time I go I walk in considering a membership but someone there always talks me out of it with their attitude. Which is too bad because I really want to support Wade for all he does on our behalf at the legislature.

Last time I was there which was last July they had the members only policy on SKS and AK firearms. It didn't say anything about the round, just those two guns. I'm sure that could have changed. Wade is a sponsor here so maybe someone should ask him.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I'm with Ben. So some loud sounds came out. Whoopty do. I can see if someone is being unsafe in their firearm handling but a door infraction isn't something to go off on. In my mind I'm picturing that old dude that works/worked there. I don't think I've ever been there when he hasn't had a dick-ish attitude. And he hasn't even scolded me. Every time I go I walk in considering a membership but someone there always talks me out of it with their attitude. Which is too bad because I really want to support Wade for all he does on our behalf at the legislature.

Last time I was there which was last July they had the members only policy on SKS and AK firearms. It didn't say anything about the round, just those two guns. I'm sure that could have changed. Wade is a sponsor here so maybe someone should ask him.
    If you worked there I'm sure your opinions on "some loud sounds" would differ slightly.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I would agree about the loud noise and I fully understand
    about the need to read the signs. I'm glad were all perfect
    all the time.
    I chose not to go there because of Kevins attitude. it's been
    a year and a half since my last vist, I am far to old to put
    up with an attitude from anyone.
    Kinda the same attitude that assumes the ban is because
    the wana be gangsters with the baggy pants are the cause. I
    didn't realize I had to dress a certain way to shoot my AK's. Or
    that they were the only ones who can't shoot right

Doug Bowser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    McComb, MS
    It does not make sense to ban the 7.62x39. It has a lot less power than a .30-06 or .270. These calibers would be more damaging if used improperly.

Doug

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    First off banning a round is chicken sh!t. Ban individuals who act like asse$.'

I used to shoot there every Monday for a little over a year. Yes their manager will yell at customers like they're small children. He did the same thing to me and not over the door thing. It's his tone and approach that are very disrespectful. If you shoot there on Monday's you might not see him as I recall he didn't stick around until closing time.

Dave

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    I have never used their rifle range, I walked in to look about three weeks ago the rails were damaged. I am sure they are only adjusting to protect their investments and equipment. I have never personally observed anything rude by anyone there and except the last few weeks shoot weekly. $15.00 range fee vs rail repair "Ouch".

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I was asked last night (and am happy to) clarify the policy on AK and SKS variant weapons.

It is the weapon type that is banned, not the cartridge/bullet/etc.

Yes, you must be a member to shoot these style rifles and there are no exceptions to that rule for a number of reasons.

People without memberships historically have less regard for the equipment and people with membership will not only generally be more careful but they can much more easily have the situation taken care of if a member does end up tearing up some equipment.

I was advised that since this rule was put in place, they have not had one incident where the rifle ranges or rifle range equipment was damaged.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    So members can still shoot whatever they want. That is the same policy they have had for at least a year. No problem with that. Gives members an added perk for signing up.

At least its not like red jacket was. You had to be a member and sign up with a valid credit card (not debit card) to shoot anything at all. Even then the safety rules were way overboard.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge

As it was already brought up, he made a mistake because he was off in another world thinking. That's not the actions I want to see at a shooting range. This time may have just been the problem with the doors. Next time may be a negligent discharge.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I think it's around $250/year but they prorate it every 3 months since all memberships start January 1 (not the date you sign up). Hope that made sense.

If you shoot there more than 15 times a year it's worth it to buy the membership.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom