Down with Florida

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johngunguy

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    LEANDER, TEXAS
    Well since the legislature decided to pass the regulation that my Florida permit will not be valid, I went ahead and took the class again and submitted my paperwork for the Louisiana license Friday. Still don't know how having to take the class again is helping keep unwanted people from getting a license.

What my friends and I did to get our Florida license is the same thing I had to do to get the Louisiana license.

Well, ranting over. It is done, money spent, however annoyance still there.

John

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    You didn't have to repeat the secret La oath and face the three headed goat ??

Dammit........LSP is lettin these Fla guys off easy

johngunguy

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    LEANDER, TEXAS
    At the time, cost less, had more states that honored it, no handgun re-qualification upon renewal, and lasted longer.

Wish I would have just gone with La. but that is in hind sight. As all things are.

John

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Also, FL permit exempts veterans from training. I know this might ruffle some military feathers but I'm not trying to be rude. A DD-214 doesn't guarantee that it's holder has knowledge of any firearm other than an M-16. Most service members have never trained with a pistol.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have an LA, but when it is time to renew I am getting both LA and FL. If you move out of Louisiana, your LA permit is void, the FL will still be valid so you can still carry while waiting to get whatever states license you moved to.

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    At the time, cost less, had more states that honored it, no handgun re-qualification upon renewal, and lasted longer.

Wish I would have just gone with La. but that is in hind sight. As all things are.

John

I think it is a joke too, but Louisiana .gov does not like losing out on any money.

johngunguy

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    LEANDER, TEXAS
    They didn't make me go shooting. I go shooting all the time. However, I did have to pay about $180 for the class, photos, fingerprints, notary services, spend a day hearing the same old thing, and another $125 to the state for the permit.

That is a lot of money to spend for something that wasn't necessary and could have been spent on reloading supplies.

I know there are those who will always say support La. but they should provide a superior product.

John

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    You mean that the Florida permit is not valid in Louisiana, since when?

This. I've never had to deal with the permits and do not know much about them. I never thought FL was honored here, but found out later that it was. Hell if I know.

Really just wondering because my dad and brother are from FL.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    As of this past August (2 months ago), Louisiana no longer recognizes Florida non-resident permits for Louisiana residents. This does not affect residents of Florida or other states, but if you are a Louisiana resident, you now have to have a Louisiana permit.

Contrary to some opinions, the reason for this was not just money, but rather to gain better control over the training process. Florida will accept almost any evidence of training, and really has no standards. Louisiana is very specific about the training requirements, with most of the mandated time being spent on Louisiana laws.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Also, FL permit exempts veterans from training. I know this might ruffle some military feathers but I'm not trying to be rude. A DD-214 doesn't guarantee that it's holder has knowledge of any firearm other than an M-16. Most service members have never trained with a pistol.

I was in the military for 11 years and never touched an M-16. Now I did qualify with 12ga Mossberg and a 1911. Then with Beretta 92.

Last edited:

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The law does not outlaw Fla. permits until Aug. 15th of next year.

Jimmy

To be completely accurate, the law changed effective August 15, 2010; but there is a one year grace period for out of state permits issued up until August 15, 2010.

So if your out of state permit was valid on August 15, 2010, then you can use it until August 15, 2011. But as of August 15, 2010, you cannot get an out of state permit and use it in Louisiana.

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Kind of an on topic question...

Where can I go to properly get my finger print cards done. I did the electronic kind and LSP bulding, but for florida I need to do the card.

Any ideas?

thanks

PS. can someone from california apply for a florida permit?

Last edited:

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    So, are Texas CHL's still good in LA for LA citizens ?

leVieux

If a Louisiana resident has a Texas CHL that was valid on August 15, 2010, then it will remain valid in Louisiana through. August 15, 2011. That is the one year grace period from the effective date of the new law.

Any out of state CHP obtained after August 15, 2010, is not valid in Louisiana for a Louisiana resident.

Top Bottom