Earthquakes along the Mississippi river

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Lately, with all of this doom of our raping mother earth of her precious natural resources, it got me to thinking.

It is possible for an earthquake large enough along the mississipps river to cause a tsunami?

There have been 5! Yes 5 earthquakes along the ms river, north of Memphis in the last week!!!

Why has our government not said anything or taken action?

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Lately, with all of this doom of our raping mother earth of her precious natural resources, it got me to thinking.

It is possible for an earthquake large enough along the mississipps river to cause a tsunami?

There have been 5! Yes 5 earthquakes along the ms river, north of Memphis in the last week!!!

Why has our government not said anything or taken action?

The central committee hasn't figured out how to take advantage of that crisis yet.

That, and Memphis is in "flyover country" so they don't really give a flip about it.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

Not all of them.

Read the book "The Rift"

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rift-Walter-J-Williams/dp/0061057940/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278523884&sr=1-1[/ame]

Pretty neat fiction... but As I recall the passages about the LARGE Quake 100's of years ago which destroyed the Moundbuilders culture is NOT fiction.

One day... it'll happen again.

I ain't bettin on next week though!

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not all of them.

Read the book "The Rift"

http://www.amazon.com/Rift-Walter-J...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278523884&sr=1-1

Pretty neat fiction... but As I recall the passages about the LARGE Quake 100's of years ago which destroyed the Moundbuilders culture is NOT fiction.

One day... it'll happen again.

I ain't bettin on next week though!

That link just shows the 5 in the last week he mentioned.

Maybe BR is due for an earthquake. http://www.lgs.lsu.edu/deploy/uploads/8faults.pdf lol I think our soil is too much of a sponge though.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    the company I used to work for, had cpu time on one of the large computers that calculate what happens with various strength of earthquake. it was scary to see what road and overpasses even bridges would be affected by regularly occurring quakes if we would have one.. suffice to say, hope you guys have a shelter in place plan along with bugging out.. its a real possibility you wont be able to travel..

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    Not a true tsunami, but it is a big fault line and there are a lot of man made controls built on the river; locks, levees, spillways etc that would be a problem.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    New Madrid fault supposedly has an energetic release potential six or seven times San Andreas. During the big one around the turn of the 19th century, the Mississippi actually flowed backwards for nearly a day. After it was all over there was a new 15,000 acre lake (Reelfoot), home to one of the highest populations of Bald Eagle in the country.

That quake was felt in Chicago 400 miles away.:noes::noes::noes:

Top Bottom