EMS CCW protocol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Curious to know the protocol for EMS/FD for a person who was carrying, but Is now non responsive. DO you send the firearm with the person? Family if available? Just curious to know if your department has a protocol and what it was.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I know when I was in my on duty crash and was transported via EMS to the hospital, they had one of the guys on scene from my shift secure all three of my handguns in the trunk of his unit.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    My Tacoma got destroyed in November, luckily a Lafayette officer was on scene immediately. As he banged on my window and I came to, the first thing that popped in my mind was where did my 9mm go and let him know I had it. After crawling out disoriented, he cleared it and secured it, holster, and mag with my wife. I didn't want to risk a towing agency to "inventory my truck" and never see it again.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I know when I was in my on duty crash and was transported via EMS to the hospital, they had one of the guys on scene from my shift secure all three of my handguns in the trunk of his unit.

I know you are a big fan of letting people know your a cop. Heck we all know. But this thread isn't about what Police Officers do with their guns after crashes. Please stay on topic.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The crash where My car was totaled by an 18 wheeler, I didn't have any gun in my car as I had just gotten back from a NY road trip.

The assisting officer was awesome, so I doubt anything untoward would have happened.

The other crashes, my car was always drivable, the officer was informed, and all was well.

People in Louisiana sure do like to rear end stopped cars.

I've been rear ended while stopped 5 times in 17 years. 2 in traffic on the interstate and three at stop lights. In all of them I NEVER hit the car in front of me. Driving isn't that tough folks.

Inform the officer. He / she will most likely hang with you and the gun until someone picks you up. At least that's my impression based on past incidents.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I rear-ended a car that abruptly stopped a while back. When the Officer showed up both myself and the lady I hit informed him that we had firearms in our vehicles. He pulled them out and cleared them, then asked if I would be interested in selling him my shotgun.

I have not come across any unresponsives with firearms on any fire calls I've ran, but our policy is to leave it where it is and inform the officer. We are all proficient enough to clear a weapon, but and AD can happen and we don't want the added liability.

trout25red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Best Bank
    Not sure if this helps but:
    I t-boned a lady who flew through a stop sign. My wife came to pick me and our daughter up from the scene. I had a pistol in the console, so I played dumb and asked if it was ok to get it out of the car to put in my wife's car. He assured me that it was fine. I really just wanted him to know what I was doing so that he wouldn't be nervous if he noticed me pulling out a pistol from the car.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Here's what EBR EMS does.

If you're at your house. Leave the weapon there.

If you're not at your house and it's a trauma of some sort, MVA, GSW, et al, then PD will be o/s. They will take of the weapon for you. We don't even have to ask.

On the rare occasion when someone is transported and still has a concealed handgun on their person when it is discovered the weapon is secured and left with a LEO at the hospital. If this happens it's usually a medical type call where the pt is unresponsive. However what happens to the weapon on the hospital property is up to the hospital not EMS.

Bottom line, (I don't make the policies for my department) by policy we will not transport you handgun with you.

Dave

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's what EBR EMS does.

If you're at your house. Leave the weapon there.

If you're not at your house and it's a trauma of some sort, MVA, GSW, et al, then PD will be o/s. They will take of the weapon for you. We don't even have to ask.

On the rare occasion when someone is transported and still has a concealed handgun on their person when it is discovered the weapon is secured and left with a LEO at the hospital. If this happens it's usually a medical type call where the pt is unresponsive. However what happens to the weapon on the hospital property is up to the hospital not EMS.

Bottom line, (I don't make the policies for my department) by policy we will not transport you handgun with you.

Dave

Awesome, thanks for the response. I wasn't looking to question of critique the departments protocol, was more just curious to what it was.

Top Bottom