F-Class/600 Yard Wind Reading Class November 21, 2010

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GB300wm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Brusly, La.
    All hands go out the xmeister, chaser and rob. Boy, what a great clinic. I'm ready for more. These guys really shined today and I learned more about rifle shooting today than I think I knew before. I really had a great time today and I look forward to shooting with you guys someday. You guys are really a wealth of knowledge and you're not afraid to share that knowledge. Thanks again.....:):)

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks guys, I learned a lot, one big thing is spend time with your gear, and turn them knobs the right way!!!:wtc::rofl: Now I have a good base, just need to start building on it

nortac

Cynical Old Codger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Abita Springs, LA , USA
    Thanks Chaser, Xmeister and Rob. Very worthwhile clinic. Beginning to get a grasp on the fundamentals, looking forward to putting it to use. Also look forward to an advanced reloading clinic.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    A big thanks to Xmeister (the name fits) and Chaser. We also had Rob coach us on the line. Rob had come all the way from Houston to help out. That is a long way to drive to help us out. So Rob deserves an extra round of applause from us.
    We started with a classroom session while waiting for the smoke (burning cane) to clear and the wind to pick up. The wind did pick up and the mirage was kind of hard to see at times. Some of that was due to lighting conditions changing.
    Next we watched conditions while Lanny thought out loud as to what he observed on the conditions and what he was going to do about it in terms of MOA adjustment or wait for the prevailing condition to return.
    Next we either serviced targets or shot.
    Being able to recieve coaching is not generally done in a match. It was also
    nice not being concerned with some of the match stuff like time, even though F Class guys only use about half the clock.
    Today illustrated why you can't rely on 1 input for wind. Mirage is good but not always there. Wind flags are good but not always there. Today was probably the most consistent I have seen the flags at Palo Alto in that they tended to all point in the same direction. Sometimes they are not at all in agreement. I can say that I shot some shots that were off my call by more than I was happy with. Some of my shots have to be classified as being poorly executed. I had some big vertical displacment on some shots, so guess who gets the blame. A big factor today was if you could asses corrections, then dial or hold off & get the shot off quickly before the wind changed.
    If you had heard the question are you a cook or a rifleman then you may appreciate that I should organize a recipe swap. I am going to hedge my bets and cook during the week for if my shooting doesn't improve. I could just change my screen name to Xmiser and be done with it. But that is no fun. Besides Lanny probably doesn't want people thinking we are somehow related.

If any one is on the fence about trying this you should go out & try it. It is not that difficult to get started.

Bottom line for me is I will probably change the way I approach F Class shooting a little bit because of this class.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    How did my junior do with his service rifle?

He did pretty well. I don't believe he had but 2 or 3 8's in his 20 round string, but I was running the pits and only got a cursory look. I do know he and his Dad said they were pleased with his round.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    He shot a 729 in the across the course match yesterday with a 169 at 600. It is where he needs to work. That was only his 3rd XTC match so I think he shows a lot of promise.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    He shot a 729 in the across the course match yesterday with a 169 at 600. It is where he needs to work. That was only his 3rd XTC match so I think he shows a lot of promise.

I had a chance to talk with Grayson and his Dad before we got started and that's what they told me. Nice young man and his Dad was very supportive of him.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Some pictures from today. Sorry for the quality, but all I had was my iPhone.

Lanny getting setup:
    IMG_0076.jpg

Mickey checking out his new scope:
    IMG_0077.jpg

Owen502 ready to go:
    IMG_0078.jpg

Grayson's dad taking notes while Lanny calls the wind on each his shots:
    IMG_0079.jpg

Golden Dragon and Tactical723 checking out Lanny's score on his shot:
    IMG_0081.jpg

KZ45 checking his target for a bullet hole, while Request Dust Off, Mickey and Nortac wait on rounds:
    IMG_0082.jpg

Request Dust Off, Mickey and Nortac pulling targets for score:
    IMG_0083.jpg

Glad everyone had a good time. We had as much fun doing it as you had shooting. I'll pull in the pits with you guys any day.
    Rick

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Yeah. I would have sucked in my gut. /QUOTE]

I need to start walking the 600yds to & from the targets and bring less sandwiches.

I can see before we leave the house asking our wives: "does this shooting mat make my ass look big"

Yeah, Rick your phone is messed up. I'm looking in a mirror right now & my stomach don't look like that. Your pixels are stringing horizontally in the orange spectrum. Or maybe the wind caught my shirt just right. That wind is just nothing but problems.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    A Big Thanks Again! It was Cool to punch some holes at 600yd!

Just walk in the House from work makes for a long day of shooting and working.:ugh2::eh::hi5:

xmeister

xmeister
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Prairieville
    Guys, you were all good students! Thanks for the compliments, but give big kudos to Chaser for organizing everyone and staying in the pits all day long. Great job Rick! Based on my PMs it sounds like we got the message across and everyone has a handle on what to look for in the way of conditions and also what to do with the information. As I said, it is a learned art and the more you practice it the better you get. I like what I saw from everyone. Thanks for coming.

Lanny

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Guys, you were all good students! Thanks for the compliments, but give big kudos to Chaser for organizing everyone and staying in the pits all day long. Great job Rick! Based on my PMs it sounds like we got the message across and everyone has a handle on what to look for in the way of conditions and also what to do with the information. As I said, it is a learned art and the more you practice it the better you get. I like what I saw from everyone. Thanks for coming.

Lanny

Now y'all have to keep us posted on the 600 yard match schedule and other info so you can set the hook in all us new fish and reel us in :cool:

Top Bottom