F-Class Field Precision Rifle (FPR)- Officially Kicks Off March 12, 2011

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    True. My point was that it's not what rifle you can shoot that differentiates a competition, it's how you're allowed to shoot it that makes FPR more attractive to some of us than F-T/R or F-open.

With the exception of the brakes, how are you allowed to shoot in FPR that is different from the other F classes?

I wouldn't bring my service rifle, I would likely get one of those do dads that allows you to attach a bipod to a Tubb. I think it would work pretty well for the no back rest class. It isn't likely though. Each of us has our own thing. That is why Baskin Robins exists. :)

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    With the exception of the brakes, how are you allowed to shoot in FPR that is different from the other F classes?

A couple of differences from other F disciplines are all loading is done from the mag (no single load), the bipod used has to be the folding type (no Sinclair rests), one class uses no rear bag, no magnification greater than 25x, etc.

The biggest thing about FPR, like F-Class T/R, Open or High Power is allowing folks out to shoot in something that appeals to them that might otherwise not be be out there.

Our hope is that other shooting disciplines will embrace and support a new shooting class. It is a work in progress.

Last edited:

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    All the "SaxManSon" can add to this is a belated THANKS to everybody who came out on Saturday for the inaugural FPR match...
    The day was great, and the fellowship among the shooters was probably the best aspect. Thanks to "Ritten" and "Chaser2020" for getting this together and for enouraging me to "just come out and shoot..."
    Also special thanks to the "XMeister" for coaching me through those first few shots despite a bargain priced scope that was okay, but wasn't fully up to the challenge. Not to worry, I've already made a deal to purchase my next scope -- no, it's not a Nightforce yet, but a used Millett TRS-1 -- and I have already told the wife that on April 9th I will be heading back to Palo Alto for the second FPR match (if I can't get invited back there sooner to sight in the new scope!)
    -WARREN

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Not to worry, I've already made a deal to purchase my next scope -- no, it's not a Nightforce yet, but a used Millett TRS-1 -- and I have already told the wife that on April 9th I will be heading back to Palo Alto for the second FPR match (if I can't get invited back there sooner to sight in the new scope!)
    -WARREN

I think something can probably be arranged.

Warren- We had a great time putting it together and it was enthusiasm like yours and others that will help this grow.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Warren,

I am glad you had fun. I knew you would if you like shooting. Palo Alto has a great bunch of guys that shoot out there.

Rick and Ted,

If I understand it the only real differences are that you must load from a magazine and brakes are allowed. Every thing else would be legal to shoot in a regular F-Class match but it may place the shooter at a disadvantage vis a vis someone who uses a Sinclair bi-pod and/or rear bag in F/TR or a front and rear rest in F Open. i.e. you can shoot a .260 with a Harris bi-pod and no rear bag in F Open and still be legal, correct? Or am I missing something?

Dan

titleguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    I had an awesome time and am thankful to have yet another weekend a month to come out and shoot a 600 yd. comp. I'll shoot F-TR the first weekend of the month and FPR the second. I suspect many others will as well.

Much like Warren, I'm ready to step up again---from my Millett TRS-1 to an LRS-1 or some similar variable power scope of at least 25 power on the top end. If anyone has anything banging around in their safe they want to sell, let me know.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I picked up a Remington 700 varmint 308 with a Hogue overmolded stock, has Leupold rings and scope base. Scope is Pine Ridge 6-18 tactical scope. Has 6-9" bipod. I know the scope is not the best but would I be able to shoot at the matches? I ordered a few boxes of Federal 308 Win, 168gr, Sierra MatchKing Boat Tail Hollow Points also.

You are good to go, for starters, man!
    I shot the same type rifle (Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308) with fresh Nosler match grade ammo, but my scope was an inexpensive BSA Platinum series 6-24x44 mounted to a cheap Weaver rail and the Leapers "AccuShot" rings -- actually pretty solid rings for the price -- and my very first shots were on the target, with enough 10's and X's to make me want to come back for more.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Unloading your Millett TRS-1 scope?

Much like Warren, I'm ready to step up again---from my Millett TRS-1 to an LRS-1 or some similar variable power scope of at least 25 power on the top end. If anyone has anything banging around in their safe they want to sell, let me know.

So, have you already sold your Millett TRS-1 scope, and does yours have the older 1/8 MOA clicks or is it the newer version?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Rick and Ted,

If I understand it the only real differences are that you must load from a magazine and brakes are allowed.

Correct

Every thing else would be legal to shoot in a regular F-Class match but it may place the shooter at a disadvantage vis a vis someone who uses a Sinclair bi-pod and/or rear bag in F/TR or a front and rear rest in F Open. i.e. you can shoot a .260 with a Harris bi-pod and no rear bag in F Open and still be legal, correct? Or am I missing something?

Yes. There are also other restrictions that would make an FPR rifle less competitive in F-open or F-TR though. Over-all weight, barrel length, and scope power.

Dan

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    If I understand it the only real differences are that you must load from a magazine and brakes are allowed.

Also, Legal supressors are allowed

Every thing else would be legal to shoot in a regular F-Class match but it may place the shooter at a disadvantage vis a vis someone who uses a Sinclair bi-pod and/or rear bag in F/TR or a front and rear rest in F Open. i.e. you can shoot a .260 with a Harris bi-pod and no rear bag in F Open and still be legal, correct? Or am I missing something?

Yes. But they would be at the same equipment disadvantage shooting in that class as someone shooting a M1 carbine in XTC. This class allows folks to compete on a more or less level playing field with less equipment/caliber restrictions. The nice thing is we can evolve the shooting classifications as this grows.Right now it's 2- Bag Rest or No Bag Rest.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    "Yes. But they would be at the same equipment disadvantage shooting in that class as someone shooting a M1 carbine in XTC. This class allows folks to compete on a more or less level playing field with less equipment/caliber restrictions. The nice thing is we can evolve the shooting classifications as this grows.Right now it's 2- Bag Rest or No Bag Rest."

That is a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe it would be more like shooting a good service grade M1 Garand against a WOA AR. Or even shooting an AR service rifle against a Tubb or other match rifle. They are not on even footing, but it is done all of the time; and at monthly matches, there is no separate class for MR and SR. That makes it so much sweeter when a service rifle shooter wins. :D

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    That is a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe it would be more like shooting a good service grade M1 Garand against a WOA AR. Or even shooting an AR service rifle against a Tubb or other match rifle. They are not on even footing, but it is done all of the time; and at monthly matches, there is no separate class for MR and SR. That makes it so much sweeter when a service rifle shooter wins. :D

Conceded. But a person with a bipod and no bag shooting against the F-Open guys would be like taking away the jacket and sling from a service rifle shooter and having him shoot against everyone else. Can he be competitive? Possibly. Will he be at a distinct disadvantage? Pretty sure he would be. :)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom