Family asked to pay for car damage after dog run over

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Look, I love dogs. I'm sorry for the dog's owners losing their beloved pet, but there is a leash law where this happened in Canada. The driver's vehicle was damaged by hitting a loose dog- and the dog was off it's owner's property. From what little is said here, the owners let the dog walk loose around the neighborhood on a daily basis. People get bit- and dogs get run over- due to owner negligence EVERY DAY.

From what little info is given here, what do y'all think of this? I'm sure the driver will get blasted by the animal lovers crowd, but is it really his fault? I don't believe it is.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.ce790ff71ff6bbbca9e18d3940bfe8d9.531&show_article=1

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I can see how the dog's owners are somewhat responsible for letting their dog loose.

I can also see that no matter how hard someone tries not to, they can still hit a dog.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Agreed. If you let your dog roam than any damage caused is your responsibility. No surprise that an irresponsible dog owner doesn't see it that way.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    in Indiana, if they have a collar with the owners name you can give it to the insurance and the insurance will go after the owner for the repair costs..

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I gotta agree with every one.

Years ago I was in a 67 Chevy Caprice, and had an beautiful Irish Setter run out in front of me on the hi-way. Talk about ***k up a car. Bumper, fender, hood, lights, grill. I ate the cost.

That was nothing compared to hitting a deer at 110 mph in a 66 Vette. Speared that sucker. :eek3: :wtc: :D

Art

Last edited:

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    i am a dog lover, i volunteer at a shelter, my dog is part of my family.

i keep my dog on a leash but if he were to run out the door after a squirrel and was hit by a car, i understand and agree that i would be responsible.

Having said that: you should prolly just get my number and name, then contact me later in the week. Bringing up the fact i owe you $500.00 bucks while, my wife and kids cry over my dead, loyal companion of 5 years may not be the best time for anyone.

Just saying.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    i am a dog lover, i volunteer at a shelter, my dog is part of my family.

i keep my dog on a leash but if he were to run out the door after a squirrel and was hit by a car, i understand and agree that i would be responsible.

Having said that: you should prolly just get my number and name, then contact me later in the week. Bringing up the fact i owe you $500.00 bucks while, my wife and kids cry over my dead, loyal companion of 5 years may not be the best time for anyone.

Just saying.

+1

While I do agree the dog owner is held liable, there is a small possibility that this dog escaped and it wasn't neglect or ignorance of the local leash law. Like everything else, the driver does not know the whole story and it could have been accidental all the way around.

Doesn't stop the driver from attempting to have his damages paid for, but there should be a little compassion, at least to start with. If the owner turns into an ******* or one of those "my dog never hurt anybody" idiots, the gloves may come off.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    So, deer are owned by the state....so if I hit one, I send the bill to the state.

Last edited:

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    "A local bylaw requires pets to be on a leash when off the owner's property, but the Flemmings said Jake had become accustomed to roaming outside the family's home."

It's a damn shame the dog had to pay the price for a bad owner's actions. The quote above, from the news account, clearly demonstarates the owners negligence and clueless attitude that she has no responsibility for the dog's death.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I keep my dog penned up, so should everyone else. If she gets out and bites someone, I am responsible. Same thing if she decides to chew your bumper off or get in the road and get hit by it, I am responsible.

jemayeux

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Beaumont, TX
    Since the dog owner is responsible for damage done by the dog, is the state responsible for the dammage caused by "wild" animals within that state.

If I go out and kill a deer without a tag/lic/illegally. Then I must answer to the state and pay fines/jail. So, if the state can take monies from me when I have wronged an animal within the state, can I hold the state responsible when the animal caused damage to my property.

Just wondering.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom