Finally, SA M1 went open today.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Finally got the open message at the Estore at the CMP. This will be my first Garand and a rifle that I've always wanted since I can remember. Any Garand nuts onboard? Any tidbits of useful knowledge to share?

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    <--- Garand nut. I got 2 of em from the CMP, and are so much fun to shoot, Quite possibly my favorite firearm. Quite a few members of the board here have fired one of mine for the fist time, and had a grin from ear to ear after the ping.

Tidbit #1, Respect the bolt when pushing the follower down, as it is much much harder and stronger than your thumb:ugh2:

230gr

Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Jefferson Parish
    LCPL4,
    You will love your Garand. I have been collecting them for yrs. I am at 27 and counting!
    Best way to load an en bloc is to hold op rod handle back with the side of you hand (thumb up like a Karate chop) and rotate your thumb down pushing clip down on follower. Then rotate hand back taking thumb out of the way of the bolt and let the op-rod go. That bolt will draw blood if it catches your thumb. It is something that you will make sure never happens a second time after the first time it happens. Have fun!!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    230gr and Richard,

Why don't we see you guys at the vintage rifle/JCG matches? It is a good place for M1 nuts to hang out.

230gr,

You have it worse than me and I am pretty bad. LOL

Dan

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    One question besides a sling and ammo, what else would a garand owner likely have on hand/need?

For HP - Should I be on the lookout for NM sights? I have the feeling I can skip them if we only shoot to 200 for vintage matches.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    One question besides a sling and ammo, what else would a garand owner likely have on hand/need?

For HP - Should I be on the lookout for NM sights? I have the feeling I can skip them if we only shoot to 200 for vintage matches.

IMHO you don't need the NM sites.

You can get a scout rail for it if you want to mount an optic, you can get a (Is it Henderson device?) which allows you to top off.

I wouldn't do ether...

You need the combo tool and a buncha clips. I bought 300 for $100 from J&G a few years ago...

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Deep pockets, because it will want to multiply:D
    I would get some more en-blocs/ammo. I have heard from some that the clips that come with the Greek HXP 'can' be problematic if you are going to reuse them with LC ammo due to small variations in the rims of the cartridges and clips not allowing it so seat fully in the clip, however HXP is a bargain since you get 24 clips/cardboards and 4 cloth bandoliers per spam can for 50 bucks.buy a couple of those, and some of the 240 in cans to load up the empty clips with.
    Depending on the condition of your stock,(If its too loose, it can affect accuracy, too nice and you may not want to damage it) you may want to purchase a replacement from either the CMP or Dupage Trading. I recieved a boyds as a gift, and although it is nice, it is a bit fat, all around, and one day I will sand it to the correct WWII dimensions and re-oil it.
    The device Nomad was talking about is a Holbrook device, and keeps the clips from ejecting, and I believe also holds the bolt back after insertion of a fresh clip, and virtually eliminates Garand thumb.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The Holbrook device is not legal for Garand matches. Neither are the NM sights. A cotton GI web sling will do the trick unless you insist on leather. Les Tam is the best leather sling. Turner is cheaper, but fine for a rifle that will not be campaigned across the course. Richard is absolutely correct about the Greek HXP ammo. Best deal going. If you buy it clipped, you pay .23 per for the ammo and .25 per for the clips. As a bonus, it tends to be pretty accurate.

When you get it bring it to a match and I will check it out.

Dan

230gr

Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Jefferson Parish
    Hey topgunz1,
    If you are interested in a CMP membership fastrack and some fun to boot, the Honey Island Shooting Range has a CMP sanctioned Garand Clinic on the Memorial Day. You get to shoot a Garand, qualify and join a club all in one afternoon. You can order a Garand right after that. I think it costs $35.00 to cover cost of ammo. That's it, you are good to go!

If interested e-mail me.

230 gr.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Topgunz1,

Just join South Louisiana High Power Club in Gonzales. You will get your qualification and notice of all Garand/Vintage matches in the area.

Dan

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    The Holbrook device is not legal for Garand matches. Neither are the NM sights. ....

Dan

Looking at it now. It has a front sight blade marked NM 062 but the rear sight is unmarked and not hooded. Good to go or will I have to change the front post?

Edit - Also has 3 sling attachment points. Under the front one, on the gas cylinder is stamped NM as well.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Wow. I wouldn't touch the gun just yet and let a knowledgable Garand collector look at it just in case CMP accidentally shipped you a NM rifle. It is more probably than not a Service Grade that just had some parts replaced with NM parts at a rebuild. NM op rods are pretty common. Those parts would have to be changed to be Garand Match legal. Not really a problem. I may have some spares laying around. I actually removed the NM front sight on both my M1 And M1As and replaced them with the battle sight because I prefer a wide front sight.

Bring it to Palo Alto the next time you are there and I will take a look at it.

How does the stock look? The "3 sling attachment points" are actually 2 sling attachment points and a stacking swivel.

Dan

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Plan on cleaning it up for now. I'll bring it out next time so someone can give it a good look. Wood looks decent but could use some TLC.

And why send me something I can't use in their own matches??? :confused::dunno:

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    They have been sending rifles with NM parts and/or semi glass bedded stocks for years. most of this work was done by US and Foriegn arsenals in the 60s. They don't have the parts or personell to change them out and only JCG match shooters would care. Other shooters and collectors wouldn't find it to be a problem.

Top Bottom