Firearms rights in Louisiana - specific to teachers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Greetings folks. Some of you may be aware I'm on the board of the Louisiana Shooting Association.
    We're trying to put together a project that would impact teachers specifically.

If you're a K-12 teacher that would be willing to spend a day to improve your ability to defend yourself and your students, please PM me for details.

Thanks!

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Turns out this is a very polarizing topic. I am looking for teachers who believe that they should be able to keep a gun in their classroom under lock and key (and/or combo) with appropriate training threshold in the event there is an active shooter.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My older daughter was recently at ULL in 'education' or so they call it. I saw her class schedules with course names, and I have seen what 'education' programs recently produce. While I wish you with all of my heart the best with this endeavor, well, good luck. I hope she and her associates are not indicative of what you encounter.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Turns out this is a very polarizing topic. I am looking for teachers who believe that they should be able to keep a gun in their classroom under lock and key (and/or combo) with appropriate training threshold in the event there is an active shooter.
    I personally think that very few school systems will allow that kind of liability , but I wish you well .

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Over 30 states have laws that conceptually allow it, but it is usually with an *if the school district allows it.

We're trying to work it out.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Over 30 states have laws that conceptually allow it, but it is usually with an *if the school district allows it.

We're trying to work it out.
    One of my friends is the head of security at a school in TX. He may be a resource if you need someone to talk to.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Just a little feedback on your topic...My wife is a retired teacher with over forty plus years in the classroom. She is definitely old school. She even spent several years overseas with the Dept. of Defense teaching military dependents. We both feel very strongly that the run & hide defense is almost pointless and the fight part is so much more effective if some of the teachers have firearms when some animal is shooting up a school.
    Organized firearms use with planning, training, and safety concerns is certainly the most sensible and effective defense against active shooters. There are several organizations, I think the NRA is one of them, that offer schools the training needed to safely implement one of these programs.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    1) ... the run & hide defense is almost pointless and the fight part is so much more effective if some of the teachers have firearms when some animal is shooting up a school

2) Organized firearms use with planning, training, and safety concerns is certainly the most sensible and effective defense against active shooters. There are several organizations, I think the NRA is one of them, that offer schools the training needed to safely implement one of these programs.
    1) Agreed
    2) We're working on legislation that would allow teachers a reasonable process to have a firearm in the classroom with rational safety and training protocols.

Top Bottom