First gun for 5 year old for Christmas?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Get him a 4-10 shot gun and some lo power shell's it will kick him a lil and hurt a lil and he my be scared of it ,BUT he needs to be. BB guns teach what? that "fire at will" mentality . Think about it.

I agree, I was given a 4-10 around 6 or 7 years old. My dad taught me the basics and gun safety. Then about 6 months later after he knew I had the concept down he bought me a BB gun and told me with this one the same rules apply But that i could shoot all the cans I wanted unsupervised. We lived on about 40 acres, so half the time I was in the woods anyway.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    20121111_120815.jpg

Daisy Buck.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I agree, I was given a 4-10 around 6 or 7 years old. My dad taught me the basics and gun safety. Then about 6 months later after he knew I had the concept down he bought me a BB gun and told me with this one the same rules apply But that i could shoot all the cans I wanted unsupervised. We lived on about 40 acres, so half the time I was in the woods anyway.

Good plan here.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Got my kid a youth Henry H001 lever action .22 when he turned 5 last year. This year he might get my dad's S&W mdl 51 .22 kit gun with a 3" bbl....... haven't decided if I should do that yet.

Attachments

• IMAG0069.jpg
      IMAG0069.jpg
      261.4 KB · Views: 45
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Got my kid a youth Henry H001 lever action .22 when he turned 5 last year. This year he might get my dad's S&W mdl 51 .22 kit gun with a 3" bbl....... haven't decided if I should do that yet.

NO, NO, NO Cujo - I'll take that dangerous old gun and dispose of it and give your kid a great, new, safe Ruger 22/45 or Bearcat or Single Six. You can thank me later.

ENVPMBR Shooter

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La
    We bought my step daughter a Ruger 22/45 and put a C-More on it so she could shoot steel. She did that until she shot my wifes open 9major gun. So we had her one built and she shoots it great. We started her at 9 with the Ruger.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    My son will turn 5 right after Christmas this year and I want to get him started shooting and learning how to handle guns safely and one day shoot USPSA like his dad. Any suggestions on what would be a good rifle to start with? maybe a "Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock" LOL. What did some of you guys start your little ones out with? Thanks in advance.:draw:

Gump

Well, back when I was 5, Dad started me out with a Stevens crack-barrel 12 ga (I was a rather large child). "Thanks Dad". :confused:

:D It was a Daisy Red Ryder. Like said above- every kid should have one. :cheers:

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    My thoughts are a good .22 rifle,at 6yrs old my dad took me shooting with a marlin .22,the mane thing to consider is making sure he has a good understanding of what he has,im sure the rest will come natural.

Last edited:

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    a wise man once told me....."just buy a shotgun"

i was jk about the wise part btw.
    i started out on a bb gun and then my dad handed me down his marlin 60 .22. still have it and still shoot the **** out of some cans

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    Crickett 22 and a box of shorts

Seconding this. My friend got his daughter a Crickett and it's a pretty neat little singleshot rifle, inexpensive and solidly built. Awesome trainer for smaller hands. Drop a hundred on that and spend the rest on ammo!

22 short is kind of hard to find, but I found that their essentially zero recoil is good to introduce newbie adults out of a 617 before moving on to 22 long rifle and then to 9mm.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    After the BB gun period let the kid pick the rifle (.22), he/maybe she will pick the Henry lever action every time.
    Been there several times----no matter which way you go you're moving him/her in the right direction.

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Sounds like the Red Ryder has been the popular choice for a first gun and I gotta agree. So it was with my son (I still have the RR). He soon graduated to a Single Shot Chipmunk bolt action .22 around age 7. Then on to a Ruger Take down .22 lever action (which he still has) at age 9 before going center fire to a 7mm-08 around 12, then a Ruger .270 at 16 and finally after returning from a 9 year hitch in the Army as a scout sniper where he grew accustomed to the .308 which he uses to successfully take down terrorist white tails.

lytur9

"Damn it!"
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gretna,La.
    My dad bought me a 410/22 over and under crack barrel when I was 7 . He said a BB gun was too dangerous and till this day I still never got a BB gun !!!

Top Bottom