Flock cameras, FedEx, law enforcement, and mass surveillance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Lagarde is brilliant -selling gear online for his "for profit" biz and then selling the same gear, cloud fees and who knows what else online for his "non-profit" biz. I remember when we were interested in installs, he was the only game in NOLA carrying the Dahua cameras. Bought one 1.3MP IP bullet from him to get the ball rolling and paid $300 ish not knowing the right price was actually less than $100. But for the $300 he included the nickel tour of his startup program Project NOLA (used to be in Elmwood). I was shocked at the walls and walls of monitors they had running in there, kinda dark and people with headphones on staring at them, others scurrying around like rats. I'm sure the new facility and most recent tech would be something to see.

It's stupid we have to punish all of society and criminals can practice their craft with impunity. Younger fellas don't know what life for some of us used to be like -peaceful neighborhoods, unlocked cars, unlocked homes, genuine community. I've lived in small town USA and watched drug crimes completely ruin it. Same thing's happening all around me here -so my system monitor is tucked up there above my living room television.

The picture I posted above came from a $260 2mp rebranded dahua camera with a 1/2.8" sensor. From what I can tell, prices have dropped over the years as better technology comes out. So years ago, when Project NOLA was a startup, I can easily see a 1.3mp camera selling for $300. I have one 8mp camera but it's an always color camera with a 1/1.2" sensor and a couple 4mp cameras on a 1/1.8" sensor. I'm not sure what sensor size was in that 1.3mp camera. But a 1.3mp camera will outperform an 8mp camera at night if they both have a 1/2.8" sensor. It's tough to get people to see that a 1.3mp camera may be a better value than an 8mp camera at the same price, especially if they care about good video at night when a lot of the bad stuff happens.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Well we can clearly see who is working for the FED’S now…. ROFLOL. We have been tracked for years now! As soon as technology started getting better they started tracking everything. The only difference now is people are actually paying attention to these practices! My son works for the Sheriffs Office and if cameras on every corner helps him stay safe and put the bad guys away, I say let them roll. We are being watched no matter what, so live your life free of crime and it doesn’t matter. Now what does bother me is the ability to tap into our phone’s camera at any time they want! I bring my phone with me to take a dump and to shower…. Nobody wants to see those two things I promise lol… So many ups and downs with technology. We have no control over any of it! So why complain and actually believe your voice makes a difference when it doesn’t lol….

Write that down!!!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Cameras may be handy, but somehow humanity made it this far without them documenting every last thing that goes on. And nothing is safe or secure when it comes to digital info. The next greatest hacker is just warming up, ready to steal info and exploit it. Just look at the latest CDK breach and how it affected millions.
    We also made it pretty far without whiskey, brownies, and airplanes. But, the world benefits from them greatly.

2tix2gunshow

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 15, 2020
    Baton Rouge
    Wow, I agree with every single person on both sides of this thread. Nervous about mis-use of information but thankful for tools to keep us safe.

My compromise: mix in a lot of dummy cameras. They would still deter crime without creating a honeypot of info for the ill intentioned. And would save a ton of money over the real deal.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Ah, city life.
    The cameras are not just in big cities. I've seen them on several small highways in rural St. Tammany and Tangipahoa parishes.

My question is: who is paying for these? I looked into the Flock business model last year when I noticed the cameras popping up more and more. If I remember right, the initial cost was around $2,500 for installation of a stand alone camera on a pole with the solar panel. Then there's a yearly fee. I've pushed my councilman several times to try to find out where the funding is coming from with no success.

I've seen these mainly on state highways and initially thought that it was being funded with state money. Then I started seeing some along parish streets in St. Tammany and Jefferson Parishes.

$2,000 per install for 500 cameras would be $1.25 million. I'm willing to bet there's more than 500 across the state.

I guess in the end, the answer to my question is that we, the tax payers, are paying for all this.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The cameras are not just in big cities. I've seen them on several small highways in rural St. Tammany and Tangipahoa parishes.

My question is: who is paying for these? I looked into the Flock business model last year when I noticed the cameras popping up more and more. If I remember right, the initial cost was around $2,500 for installation of a stand alone camera on a pole with the solar panel. Then there's a yearly fee. I've pushed my councilman several times to try to find out where the funding is coming from with no success.

I've seen these mainly on state highways and initially thought that it was being funded with state money. Then I started seeing some along parish streets in St. Tammany and Jefferson Parishes.

$2,000 per install for 500 cameras would be $1.25 million. I'm willing to bet there's more than 500 across the state.

I guess in the end, the answer to my question is that we, the tax payers, are paying for all this.

The 2025 Louisiana budget is about $49.63 billion. Compared to that, $1.25 million isn't a lot. Someone making $23.86 an hour for a 40 hour per week job would make $49630 a year. Keeping the same proportions, his camera budget would be $1.25.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    The 2025 Louisiana budget is about $49.63 billion. Compared to that, $1.25 million isn't a lot. Someone making $23.86 an hour for a 40 hour per week job would make $49630 a year. Keeping the same proportions, his camera budget would be $1.25.
    True. But what's the real cost? I mean how may cameras are out there? And is it really worth it?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    True. But what's the real cost? I mean how may cameras are out there? And is it really worth it?

You'd have to ask the accountants for the real cost. I do not know how many cameras are out there. Yes, it's worth it.

A couple of things to remember here. Almost all of the cameras are watching vehicle traffic on public roads. You do not have an expectation of privacy in public. When you agree to use your car on public roads, one condition of your agreement is to put a tag on your car that identifies your specific car. Very few of the cameras are equipped with license plate readers. Almost all of the cameras are responsive rather than proactive, meaning they will not announce you have passed a camera but if you put in a plate number it will tell you if the plate passed a location. The rest of the cameras need to be checked by hand.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    We also made it pretty far without whiskey, brownies, and airplanes. But, the world benefits from them greatly.
    Alcohol, baked goods and transportation, all good in moderation. Surveillance could also be good in moderation. It's the lack of moderation by those who could be trusted is what bothers me. Give the government more of anything and they will abuse it. History has my back on that.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Alcohol, baked goods and transportation, all good in moderation. Surveillance could also be good in moderation. It's the lack of moderation by those who could be trusted is what bothers me. Give the government more of anything and they will abuse it. History has my back on that.
    Surely you are not suggesting that there exist a history of law enforcement agencies here in the US unjustly and wrongfully prosecuting us are you? I mean, regardless of the cost to surveil every breathing crawling creature on earth, if it saves one warm fuzzy puppy it is worth the cost right?

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    You'd have to ask the accountants for the real cost. I do not know how many cameras are out there. Yes, it's worth it.

A couple of things to remember here. Almost all of the cameras are watching vehicle traffic on public roads. You do not have an expectation of privacy in public. When you agree to use your car on public roads, one condition of your agreement is to put a tag on your car that identifies your specific car. Very few of the cameras are equipped with license plate readers. Almost all of the cameras are responsive rather than proactive, meaning they will not announce you have passed a camera but if you put in a plate number it will tell you if the plate passed a location. The rest of the cameras need to be checked by hand.

Personally, I don't care how many cameras catch me out in public. It is what is it is. And I agree that there's no expectation of privacy when you're out in public. Won't get an argument about that out of me.

My curiosity has always just been about the cost and who is paying that cost. That's all.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    166   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

I’ve yet to see one anywhere near my property, but sounds like those are fixed and focused on the highways to watch vehicles come and go. A far cry from the million and one cameras in any city

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I’ve yet to see one anywhere near my property, but sounds like those are fixed and focused on the highways to watch vehicles come and go. A far cry from the million and one cameras in any city
    Most of the cameras I have seen are along highways. But there are some along major thoroughfares as well. Veterans Blvd., Westbank Expressway, River Road, Metairie Rd., W. Esplanade, Clearview Blvd., etc.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Most of the cameras I have seen are along highways. But there are some along major thoroughfares as well. Veterans Blvd., Westbank Expressway, River Road, Metairie Rd., W. Esplanade, Clearview Blvd., etc.

Airline Hwy = Hwy 61. Earhart Expressway = Hwy 3139. Jefferson Hwy = Hwy 90 and Hwy 48. Westbank Expressway = Hwy 90. There's no inherent difference between the numbered highways and the unnumbered highways you listed. They are all major thoroughfares. And, according to Louisiana, they all seem to be part of the National Highway System. Except River Road. But that falls under the state law definition of highway.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Airline Hwy = Hwy 61. Earhart Expressway = Hwy 3139. Jefferson Hwy = Hwy 90 and Hwy 48. Westbank Expressway = Hwy 90. There's no inherent difference between the numbered highways and the unnumbered highways you listed. They are all major thoroughfares. And, according to Louisiana, they all seem to be part of the National Highway System. Except River Road. But that falls under the state law definition of highway.

Yes, I am familiar with most of the highways number in the area and their common street names as well. Is a highway a highway if it's not numbered???? I don't think W. Esplanade is a highway. Is W. Napoleon a unnumbered highway? How about Severn Ave? Bonnabel Blvd? Citrus Rd?

Anyway, my point was that these cameras are not just on designated highways. I've seen some on the East & West Causeway Approach, those are not highways. Neither is Lonesome Road or Sharp Road in Mandeville, or Harrison Ave. in Abita.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes, it appears a highway can be included in the LADOTD NHS even if it does not have a number. I'm not sure why you would believe cameras would/should be restricted to highways. But if that's the case, we can use the LA Revised Statute of highway.

"Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place of whatever nature publicly maintained and open to the use of the public for the purpose of vehicular travel, including bridges, causeways, tunnels and ferries; synonymous with the word "street".

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Yes, it appears a highway can be included in the LADOTD NHS even if it does not have a number. I'm not sure why you would believe cameras would/should be restricted to highways. But if that's the case, we can use the LA Revised Statute of highway.

"Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place of whatever nature publicly maintained and open to the use of the public for the purpose of vehicular travel, including bridges, causeways, tunnels and ferries; synonymous with the word "street".
    I never said that I believe cameras would/should be restricted to highways. All I was attempting to point out is that I have been seeing these cameras on streets other than state highways. So that leads me to believe that the cameras are not necessarily 100% state funded.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I never said that I believe cameras would/should be restricted to highways. All I was attempting to point out is that I have been seeing these cameras on streets other than state highways. So that leads me to believe that the cameras are not necessarily 100% state funded.

I'd guess the overwhelming majority of the cameras are not state funded, even a lot of the ones on numbered highways.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mattland04
    Top Bottom