For your safety

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I got a camera ticket in New Orleans for doing 27 In a 25 just a couple months ago. I was pissed and wanted to fight it but kept getting the run around when I would call the Arizona company that issued me a speeding ticket for doing 2mph over . $75 for driving 2mph over the posted speed limit. Absolutely ridiculous imo.

Several and I mean several people I spoke to said they don’t pay camera tickets ever. I don’t know exactly how that works and didn’t want to risk anything over a $75 fine. Trust me though when I tell you I was tempted to toss the ticket In the trash.

Camera tickets in New Orleans are not real tickets. They are civil penalties. If someone were driving your car and sped, you would get the ticket, not the offender. It's valid because you loaned your car to an irresponsible person. If you want to fight it, you basically have to bring the driver and they have to fess up. Or you have to produce a police report showing you notified them your car was stolen. They are about generating money. At least with the police writing a ticket, the unwelcome behavior is interrupted. With the camera tickets, the behavior continues and the registered owner is notified via letter weeks later.

If you don't pay the fine and you park on the street, they can boot your car. And by "they" I mean the department of public works. The real police don't deal with those other than to review the video from the cameras and say yes or no. And the courts made them do that. Initially it was a civilian who worked for public works.

If it were the case that I had any unpaid parking tickets from 10+ years ago, I might have noticed there were no entries on my credit nor any outstanding court cases. The tickets don't show up on your driving record. They are only listed in a database maintained by the city. And I believe they are referenced by individual car by the plate number and not by driver. So if you get a new vehicle, and new plate, the authorization to boot your car does not follow you.

Sec. 154-1704. - Effect of liability; exclusion of civil remedy.

(a)The imposition of a civil penalty under this article shall not be considered a criminal conviction.

(b)A civil penalty may not be imposed under this article upon the owner of a motor vehicle, if the operator of the vehicle was arrested or was issued a speeding citation and notice to appear by a law or public safety officer as a violation of R.S. 32:232, even if such violation was captured by the automated traffic enforcement system. The imposition of a civil penalty under this article is an alternative method of detecting and deterring red-light violations and speeding.

(c)An owner who fails to pay the civil penalty or to timely challenge liability for the penalty is considered to admit liability for the full amount of the civil penalty stated in the notice of violation mailed to the vehicle owner, and the matter will be transmitted to the parking adjudication bureau of the city. The city attorney is authorized to file suit to enforce collection of unpaid fines and/or related fees and penalties imposed under section 154-1703 to secure such payments.

(d)If the owner fails to timely respond to the second notice, the department of public works is authorized to enforce the payment of this civil penalty and related fees by use of the following methods: immobilization of vehicles (booting), towing and impounding, reporting the debt to collection agencies/credit reporting agencies, and/or initiating actions through the court.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Is that why you got in trouble and instead of being fired transferred to a different department? I noticed you said used to so I’m just curious.
    Pretty big assumption that he did something wrong...

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I got a camera ticket in New Orleans for doing 27 In a 25 just a couple months ago. I was pissed and wanted to fight it but kept getting the run around when I would call the Arizona company that issued me a speeding ticket for doing 2mph over . $75 for driving 2mph over the posted speed limit. Absolutely ridiculous imo.

Several and I mean several people I spoke to said they don’t pay camera tickets ever. I don’t know exactly how that works and didn’t want to risk anything over a $75 fine. Trust me though when I tell you I was tempted to toss the ticket In the trash.
    You should have

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I used to work with one of the Council members from Morganza . They had to have a serious talk with the Police Chief . He wouldn't write very many tickets because he knew most of the people he stopped . No tickets - no revenue ..

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Perhaps his job performance was so good that the department promoted. Sergeants and above don't do as much patrol work.
    I don’t think being reprimanded for doing something wrong would fall under good performance but maybe I’m wrong. I was just storing the pot talking smack. Idk that that even happened to him I’m just regurgitating something I saw another member say awhile back. I don’t have anything personal against the guy.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana

I paid one, and tossed one. A judge here in Laffy said they couldn't be enforced. I got a letter from collection attorneys and tossed that as well.

As for the one I paid.....

Paid it in person to prove to them that their system didn't work. She argued that she had my money, so, it had to have worked. Nope....I know what time I clocked out that day on a computer linked to a Microsoft time server. I also know what time I passed your traffic camera, because it's listed on the ticket. Work out the difference between those two points over the time and you have an average MPH over the course of that trip. Now...a Chevy Avalanche won't go that fast if you drop it out of an airplane. Therefore, your system doesn't work!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I use to write 25-30 every day

Is that why you got in trouble and instead of being fired transferred to a different department? I noticed you said used to so I’m just curious.

I don’t think being reprimanded for doing something wrong would fall under good performance but maybe I’m wrong. I was just storing the pot talking smack. Idk that that even happened to him I’m just regurgitating something I saw another member say awhile back. I don’t have anything personal against the guy.

Being reprimanded for doing something wrong would not fall under good performance. And writing 25-30 tickets a day doesn't fall under doing something wrong.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    My DIL used my wife's car to visit a new grand baby when her car was in the shop. I got a $208 camera picture ticket in the mail from one of the small towns on the above list. Sent them a picture of two $100 bills and a $10 - told them to keep the change. Waiting for next step........

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My DIL used my wife's car to visit a new grand baby when her car was in the shop. I got a $208 camera picture ticket in the mail from one of the small towns on the above list. Sent them a picture of two $100 bills and a $10 - told them to keep the change. Waiting for next step........

I've heard that joke before. The punchline is they mail you a picture of handcuffs.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have two friends up in the Zachary area that both got tickets in NOLA. One had traded in his car to the dealer the year before the ticket. And the video showed a white Chrysler and my friend's old car was a dark grey Honda. BUT it was the same plate number BUT it was a Texas plate on the Chrysler. So much for verifying by LE.
    My other friend had a black Honda and it was the same problem. Plate number was right but it was a Texas plate in the picture. So much for verifying by LE. THEN month later he got another ticket in NOLA same car with the Texas plate.
    Neither of my two friend's cars had ever been in NOLA.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I have two friends up in the Zachary area that both got tickets in NOLA. One had traded in his car to the dealer the year before the ticket. And the video showed a white Chrysler and my friend's old car was a dark grey Honda. BUT it was the same plate number BUT it was a Texas plate on the Chrysler. So much for verifying by LE.
    My other friend had a black Honda and it was the same problem. Plate number was right but it was a Texas plate in the picture. So much for verifying by LE. THEN month later he got another ticket in NOLA same car with the Texas plate.
    Did they pay ? If not, what actions did they take?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

LE verifies the incident took place. If the citation was for running a red light, LE verifies the video does show a vehicle running a red light.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    A news report years ago showed Nola was not following the law on camera tickets. Officers assigned to signing off on camera review weren’t & some were on details when they did sign off on tickets. 2 places at once.
    I was pulled over in Kenner by 6 cops. I was in a Bright Yellow van with the co name painted All over it. I had my co work shirt on & they asked me to step out.
    “Do you work for this Co.” I looked down at the co patch on my shirt, looked up at the 6 cops & said “Uh Yeah” The older cop who must have been training the rookies started to smirk. They told me the plate that was on that truck for years in JP was reported as a stolen car in Nola. It turn out that whoever typed in the stolen plate info in Nola screwed up. And that was under mitch.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    A news report years ago showed Nola was not following the law on camera tickets. Officers assigned to signing off on camera review weren’t & some were on details when they did sign off on tickets. 2 places at once.
    I was pulled over in Kenner by 6 cops. I was in a Bright Yellow van with the co name painted All over it. I had my co work shirt on & they asked me to step out.
    “Do you work for this Co.” I looked down at the co patch on my shirt, looked up at the 6 cops & said “Uh Yeah” The older cop who must have been training the rookies started to smirk. They told me the plate that was on that truck for years in JP was reported as a stolen car in Nola. It turn out that whoever typed in the stolen plate info in Nola screwed up. And that was under mitch.
    Or going to the bank to cash my paycheck, the two names on the check are the same two names on my uniform shirt. She has to identify me anyway. She told me if I had an account there, this wouldn't be a problem. Why would I want an account there if they won't honor my checks???

At breakfast one morning I looked old enough that I got a senior discount that I didn't qualify for. At the grocery store on the way home I looked young enough I got carded for buying beer.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Did they pay ? If not, what actions did they take?
    Neither paid. I know the first one worked at a big law firm in BR and the office sent a letter to the place the ticket came from. The other I don't know but they made calls to someone that took care of the La owner getting a ticket that was really a Texas plate.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Some gubernment official must have gotten popped in Golden Meadow for them not to even be on that list. 20 years ago, they would have been on the top of that list! LOL. I’m sure many of us can attest to knowing about the Golden Meadow speed trap or heard stories about it. FTR…I never got ticketed down there…but, I knew to be doing less than the speed limit, too!
    you dont think the numbers or report could be rigged? :dunno:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    we all know in the small towns do it just for revenue... theres no other reason why after going 65mph for 100 miles just cause this town has a gas station the speed limit has to drop down from 65 to 35 in 100 yards with a convenient large sign, wooden fence or bush for a cop to hide behind and catch you after your 5ft past the 35mph sign.....

and to top that off write the majority of the tickets are wrote from 6-9am and 4-7pm because the know thats the "working man" and they got money to pay there tickets, and they have responsibility's, a job and drive legally with a current active DL and will pay the fines instead of fighting the system to keep providing for there family

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    we all know in the small towns do it just for revenue... theres no other reason why after going 65mph for 100 miles just cause this town has a gas station the speed limit has to drop down from 65 to 35 in 100 yards with a convenient large sign, wooden fence or bush for a cop to hide behind and catch you after your 5ft past the 35mph sign.....

and to top that off write the majority of the tickets are wrote from 6-9am and 4-7pm because the know thats the "working man" and they got money to pay there tickets, and they have responsibility's, a job and drive legally with a current active DL and will pay the fines instead of fighting the system to keep providing for there family

I will agree that some small tows set their speed zone unnecessarily low, either for safety or for revenue. But I personally can't remember seeing a drop in speed of more that 10mph at a time with adequate distance to safely slow down. And was the time of the tickets mentioned in the article? Or was that audit posted elsewhere?

Top Bottom