For your safety

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    If I saw one of these Ghost vehicles operators on the side of the road bent over his hood with 5 young democrats having their way with his man vagina I wouldn't slow down and throw out a tube of axel grease to help him out.
    To protect and serve my eye. These are revenue generating vehicle's only,
    Change my mind?
    My man
    0099882770f51f7a362463cd17f4d193.gif

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well then, maybe having all marked vehicles might save more lives. If the true intention is to make sure everyone is safe and obeying traffic laws, and not to generate revenue from fines, then it should be an obvious no brainier to use all marked police vehicles so that everyone would see them and then obey the laws. More vehicles seen = more lives saved. Fining people does not make anyone safer, likewise, observing someone breaking the law from a ghost car does not make anyone safer. People are going to break the law, regardless if you fine them or not, or whether you observe them or not.

In a perfect world with unlimited availability of officers and cars that can be everywhere all the time, you'd be correct.

As soon as you are no longer in eyesight, they will do as they wish.

Exactly why ghost cars are needed. A ghost car can be there without being in eyesight. You're starting to get it now.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    In a perfect world with unlimited availability of officers and cars that can be everywhere all the time, you'd be correct.

Exactly why ghost cars are needed. A ghost car can be there without being in eyesight. You're starting to get it now.

So then, you can agree that the ghost car will be there to hand out a fine, instead of being seen?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    So I was driving today on the interstate. There was a pickup truck in the left lane driving slow with a line of cars behind him. Car after car would move over to the right lane to pass him up. There were plenty of opportunities for the pickup to move into the right lane as the law states he should. At some point, all the vehicles between me and the pickup had already passed the pickup on the right except another pickup. That other pickup didn't seem eager to pass on the right so I moved over. Instead of passing the slow pickup, I pulled in behind him. I have a spotlight on my a-pillar and a visible light in front of my visor. Within 5 seconds of me pulling in behind the pickup, his right blinkers started to blink.

Now I was behind him for several miles as the 7-8 cars passed him on the right. He just didn't know I was there until I pulled behind him. He exhibited a different behavior depending on if he knew the police could see him. He did the right thing only when he realized the police were seeing what he was doing.

The ghost cars are great for watching people's normal behavior when they don't know they are supposed to be doing the right thing. Most people generally do the right thing anyway. But not everyone.

I've got plenty of stories of people whose behavior drastically changes depending on who they see around them. Driving home tonight, I had some guy driving very close behind me as if he wanted me to drive faster or move out of the way. The car has heavy tint so the lights are not easily seen from behind, especially at night. So when I was able, I moved over into the right lane. That other car started to speed up to pass me up but quickly slowed down and stayed in my blind spot. No doubt another the driver saw the spotlight and decided their behavior might need to change a bit.
    I call B.S. on a truck in Louisiana with its blinkers working much less someone knowing how to use them!!!

Can I have one of those spiffy spotlights installed on my truck?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    So I was driving today on the interstate. There was a pickup truck in the left lane driving slow with a line of cars behind him. Car after car would move over to the right lane to pass him up. There were plenty of opportunities for the pickup to move into the right lane as the law states he should. At some point, all the vehicles between me and the pickup had already passed the pickup on the right except another pickup. That other pickup didn't seem eager to pass on the right so I moved over. Instead of passing the slow pickup, I pulled in behind him. I have a spotlight on my a-pillar and a visible light in front of my visor. Within 5 seconds of me pulling in behind the pickup, his right blinkers started to blink.

Now I was behind him for several miles as the 7-8 cars passed him on the right. He just didn't know I was there until I pulled behind him. He exhibited a different behavior depending on if he knew the police could see him. He did the right thing only when he realized the police were seeing what he was doing.

The ghost cars are great for watching people's normal behavior when they don't know they are supposed to be doing the right thing. Most people generally do the right thing anyway. But not everyone.

I've got plenty of stories of people whose behavior drastically changes depending on who they see around them. Driving home tonight, I had some guy driving very close behind me as if he wanted me to drive faster or move out of the way. The car has heavy tint so the lights are not easily seen from behind, especially at night. So when I was able, I moved over into the right lane. That other car started to speed up to pass me up but quickly slowed down and stayed in my blind spot. No doubt another the driver saw the spotlight and decided their behavior might need to change a bit.

I’ve noticed as of late people have 0 respect for police while traveling on the road and police are a lot less inclined to get involved. It used to be you'd see someone speeding in the left lane doing a good 15-20mph over the posted limit and as soon a they would approach a police vehicle they would lock up their breaks, immediately drop to the speed limit, and not dare pass a police vehicle.

Now a days on my commute to work I watch people fly by police cars doing 80mph+ in a posted 60mph without a care in the world, they often have state troopers and dot vehicles that sit at the entrance of the gno. The speed limit drops down from 60 on the westbank expressway to 50 entering the gno. I watch traffic flow through daily now at 80mph plus. Very rarely do I see a vehicle get lit up even if they are doing excessive speed’s. In my experience overall it seems people have less respect for law enforcement and law enforcement seems not to bother with pulling over people nearly as much as they should. I can remember taking that same commute prior to 2020 and seeing three or four vehicles lined up one after another having citations written.

This isn’t unique to just the westbank expressway and GNO. I often travel the gulf coast for work all the way about Pensacola area and have noticed the same thing. About the only time I will see police dealing with motorists on the side of the road either involve a wreck or 3-4 cops pulling over me car during the wee hours of the morning.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Well then, maybe having all marked vehicles might save more lives. If the true intention is to make sure everyone is safe and obeying traffic laws, and not to generate revenue from fines, then it should be an obvious no brainier to use all marked police vehicles so that everyone would see them and then obey the laws. More vehicles seen = more lives saved. Fining people does not make anyone safer, likewise, observing someone breaking the law from a ghost car does not make anyone safer. People are going to break the law, regardless if you fine them or not, or whether you observe them or not. As soon as you are no longer in eyesight, they will do as they wish.
    Not to mention most people know an unmarked vehicle isn’t going to pull you over typically for a traffic infraction. It would have to be something more serious for an unmarked vehicle especially a plane clothed officer to pull someone over for a traffic violation.

V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    Kind of reminds me of this tiny parish just south of Shreveport (I forget the name) before they built I49 you got south via Hwy 1 and this one cop ran a speed trap in an area where the speed drops but the sign was hidden by a tree. He's pull you over for going 1 mile over the speed limit. I don't think speed traps are necessary honestly.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The antique business was almost destroyed in the town of Washington La. Thanks to this vicious money generating business by Bubba Lawdawg, People quit going to Washington for fear of getting a chicken droppings speeding tickets for like 2 mph over the speed limit , Still hurts them today.
    Bubba Lawdawg was retired.
    He's also responsible for ''The Washington Law '' on I-49
    My nephew claims he writes more tickets on water patrol than anyone else.
    I tell him hes Chicken shitzhs He gets all defensive.
    I'm like yeah keep writing 2 bit tickets and yall wonder why the public is turning against helping you...am I wrong?

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    There is another spot up that way I think near Alexandria that I got busted. It's right where the road starts to get hilly and the cop waits in the dip between rises and bust people. You can tell where it is because all of a sudden the street lights get all fancy.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There is another spot up that way I think near Alexandria that I got busted. It's right where the road starts to get hilly and the cop waits in the dip between rises and bust people. You can tell where it is because all of a sudden the street lights get all fancy.

Are the police not supposed to give speeding tickets to people who are speeding?

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Are the police not supposed to give speeding tickets to people who are speeding?
    I've seen an entire police department scramble to write tickets. The Chief of Police was out writing tickets. The road was perfectly smooth just completed an upgrade from two lanes to four with a suicide lane. Most tickets were for 50 in a 35 zone. The next day construction was completed and the speed limit was raised to 50.

The same department was writing tickets a the end of a 400' drop in elevation. I know we don't have that kind of drop anywhere in Louisiana.

Near my house the school zone stops before you get to Congress St. So you would think everything North of Congress wouldn't be in a school zone. Nope, if you turn left on Congress you're back in a school zone. There's a big concrete coulee between the playground and Congress so kids won't be running out of the playground and onto Congress! Prairie Elementary has been moved so it's not a school anymore, but being used for administration offices. Why is it still a school zone?

Louisiana has a drive right law:
    Are the police not supposed to give tickets to people who are violating RS 32:71

Louisiana has a rolling roadblock law:
    Are the police not supposed to give tickets to people who are violating RS: 32:66

A few months ago a bimbo ran out of road as her lane was ending. So, she decided to come over into my lane. We traded paint and she missed pushing me into a school bus by seconds. There was an officer a couple cars behind us who claims to not have seen what happened.

I had a hard drive crash and lost the dash cam video. Once the LSP officer in front of me made a right hand turn from the left turn lane then immediately did a U-turn. Sets quite an example.

I once heard a speech from a Judge. There was a man in front of him claiming harassment, as he was given a ticket for running a stop sign 5 days in a row. The Judge explained to him that the officer was assigned to do traffic enforcement at that intersection following a bad accident from someone running the stop sign. He should learn from his mistakes and not run the stop sign anymore and he won't get anymore tickets.

Years ago our Mayor-President was on the morning drive time show on KPEL. He said that the city needed more police officers, but, there wasn't any money to pay them. I called in and explained to them that a first time violation for texting and driving was $500.00, and that if a police officer couldn't earn his keep in this town he wasn't trying hard enough.

Every Thursday night it's a free for all outside my house. I went to the police offering to move my cars around, open the bathroom on my carport, and make a pot of coffee, if the police wanted to sit in my driveway and monitor the weekly drag races. I was told that they weren't interested as they don't do actual traffic patrol, and just write reports.

So much for "If you see something, say something!"

Your mileage may vary but, in Lafayette there is enough to do that might really make a difference, and lead to lower insurance rates before writing CS speeding tickets.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've seen an entire police department scramble to write tickets. The Chief of Police was out writing tickets. The road was perfectly smooth just completed an upgrade from two lanes to four with a suicide lane. Most tickets were for 50 in a 35 zone. The next day construction was completed and the speed limit was raised to 50.

Was the 35 mph zone marked?

The same department was writing tickets a the end of a 400' drop in elevation. I know we don't have that kind of drop anywhere in Louisiana.

What were the tickets for?

Near my house the school zone stops before you get to Congress St. So you would think everything North of Congress wouldn't be in a school zone. Nope, if you turn left on Congress you're back in a school zone. There's a big concrete coulee between the playground and Congress so kids won't be running out of the playground and onto Congress! Prairie Elementary has been moved so it's not a school anymore, but being used for administration offices. Why is it still a school zone?

That's a good question. What did the school board say?

Louisiana has a drive right law:
    Are the police not supposed to give tickets to people who are violating RS 32:71

They can. More often than not, if the police, after watching the bad driver not move after multiple opportunities, moves behind the bad driver and hits the light, the bad driver usually moves over. The problem is now solved. But the police would have probable cause to execute a traffic stop and issue a ticket.

Louisiana has a rolling roadblock law:
    Are the police not supposed to give tickets to people who are violating RS: 32:66

See my previous comment.

A few months ago a bimbo ran out of road as her lane was ending. So, she decided to come over into my lane. We traded paint and she missed pushing me into a school bus by seconds. There was an officer a couple cars behind us who claims to not have seen what happened.

It's a known fact that people, including police officers, are unable to see everything at the same time.

I had a hard drive crash and lost the dash cam video. Once the LSP officer in front of me made a right hand turn from the left turn lane then immediately did a U-turn. Sets quite an example.

I once heard a speech from a Judge. There was a man in front of him claiming harassment, as he was given a ticket for running a stop sign 5 days in a row. The Judge explained to him that the officer was assigned to do traffic enforcement at that intersection following a bad accident from someone running the stop sign. He should learn from his mistakes and not run the stop sign anymore and he won't get anymore tickets.

I stopped someone before for running a stop sign. His reason was if he had come to a complete stop, he would have had to wait until the cars passed before he would be able to go. Yep, that's the exact point of a stop sign.

Years ago our Mayor-President was on the morning drive time show on KPEL. He said that the city needed more police officers, but, there wasn't any money to pay them. I called in and explained to them that a first time violation for texting and driving was $500.00, and that if a police officer couldn't earn his keep in this town he wasn't trying hard enough.

Every Thursday night it's a free for all outside my house. I went to the police offering to move my cars around, open the bathroom on my carport, and make a pot of coffee, if the police wanted to sit in my driveway and monitor the weekly drag races. I was told that they weren't interested as they don't do actual traffic patrol, and just write reports.

Are they short handed? Monitoring drag racing can use a number of officers. Have you considered hiring a police detail? One officer with his lights on may deter some issues. And it's easier to explain that the officer was on an off duty detail rather than an officer that was assigned there and, therefore, not available to respond to violent crimes.

So much for "If you see something, say something!"

Your mileage may vary but, in Lafayette there is enough to do that might really make a difference, and lead to lower insurance rates before writing CS speeding tickets.

On average, how many speeding tickets do the police issue to people who aren't speeding?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So a few takeaways from this thread so
    Far. Tickets are bad, but sometimes they are good. Police should be perfect drivers, see everything, and not make mistakes but cops are not special and should never have any advantages. Police should enforce all the laws but just the ones that some feel are important. There are only certain areas that are permissible to issue tickets and having a vehicle that doesn’t scream POLICE is entrapment and cheating. Well isn’t that clear as mud

Top Bottom