Four wheeler mechanic

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had my bike stolen a few weeks ago and APSO called tonight and said they found it. Turns out whoever stole it decided to drive it off into a pond and it must have died out on them. My homeowners deductible is to high to cover it so it looks like I am going to come out of pocket on it. I haven't had a chance to really look at it, but as far as I can tell there is water everywhere. Can anyone suggest a mechanic that would take a look at it without raping me? It's a Polaris 800, and the thieves took the keys with it...

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Larry Jumonville with St. Amant Cycles or Ray Kelly both in St. amant and both do great work.
    Can also check with Hebert's Repair service on hwy 621. He does desiel and Atv repairs. Any parts you may need you can get from Fooses Atv depot next door to Hebert's on hwy 621.
    I know all of them.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Man sorry to hear about that. Did you not have insurance on the ATV itself?

If it was sitting in that pond for any length of time you're likely to have water in the crank case, both front and rear gear boxes and will have to clean and treat every electrical connection for corrosion.

I know they don't deal with Polaris but do NOT go to Friendly Yamaha. My father took his bike to them to get a quote on a top end rebuild. When they called him they told him, basically, that every part in the drivetrain had to be replaced. Wheel bearings, Ball Joints, Tie Rod ends, Front & Rear Gear box seals, a replacement of the Crank Shaft and then the top end parts/gaskets. Gave him an estimate of $4000. I think it's safe to say they were either a) starving for business or b) trying to get him to trade it in and buy a new bike. This was for a 2002 Honda Rancher.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    As long as it wasn't sitting in their for an extended time you might be ok with some serious cleaning and TLC. I've completely drowned a bike before and it didn't hurt anything. I had to go through 20 quarts of engine oil to clean out the engine and change out both differential fluids but it didn't hurt anything.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Can anyone suggest a mechanic that would take a look at it without raping me? ...

I'd brace yourself regardless. ATV Repair isn't cheap and if they left it there it might be b/c they blew it up and left it.

A blown bike left in a pond is going to cost a lot to get back to running shape.

Still will be a fraction of the cost of a new one. < Good Note ;)

Decide now whether you want to fix it or not b/c leaving it in bad shape only makes the repairing cost that much more.

......ask me how I know.....

Thankfully I found an experienced ATV guy(Worked @ a Yami Dealer) who just opened up his first shop and only charges $50 an Hour! He also told me to do all I could first to save on cost like taking the plastics off, and foot pegs etc on the current Bike I’m having fixed. The less he had to do, the less he charged.

I’d call a few places before settling on one. You'd be surprised how many different prices you'll hear.

This guy for example told me it'd take him about 30 minutes to open the bike up and inspect. = $25
    THEN we could go from there. If the damage was too costly, he charges another $25 to put it back together and I could come and pick it up.

This is the kind of guy you're looking for. Pay as you go.

Unless you can afford to just drop it off and say 'Make it Run' which is a Mechanics Dream. $4,000 later your Bike is flawless :rofl:

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Worst case..... I can give you a sweet deal on a like new 2012 grizzly lol
    Probably only a little more than what it is gonna cost you to repair that bike.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I use this guy in Watson and he is extremely reasonable. He has a shop out of his house and does it outside of his regular job.
    225-572-4057 Shane
    Tell him Patrick off Bayoushooter gave you his number. Maybe I can get a discount on my atv when i bring it in to the shop soon after I get my truck fixed.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    800s are pretty durable engines. You may be able to save it without a rebuild but it will take several oil changes. Did they submerge the whole thing and leave it?

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    This is something you can easily do yourself with only slight mechanical ability. pull spark plugs, pull every drain plug (both diffs, engine, trans, belt cover), let everything drain overnight. Spin it over by hand with the kill switch off. Fill everything back up run it for a couple minutes, repeat the whole process. Will probably have to do the engine oil at least 3 times.
    Then you can start pulling every electrical connection off and cleaning them, smear on dielectric grease and put back together.
    9 out of 10 times, this does the trick and you are good to go.
    THe worst thing you can do right now is let it sit up any length of time at all before gettign this process underway.

Figure it like this, you can spend 5-700 to get someone else to do this or 100 in oils and take a few hours and do it yourself.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the info everyone, I'm not sure exactly how long it sat pr how high the water was, the SO had pulled it out before we got there. I'm going to fool with it this weekend. Hopefully I will have an idea of what I am going to have to do then. Again thanks for all the contact information as well as how I can cut some of the costs for myself!

Dgraham225

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Denham springs
    Definitely pull the spark plugs and spin it over a few times, drain the oils. Fill up the cylinders with oil until you decide what to do with it. My suggestion is have someone tear it down. You really don't know HOW it end up in the pond, chances are they run it till it went under. And how clean the pond water means alot too. The rods are one piece and crank is pressed together, and sand/grit will kill rod bearings quick. That's normally what is first to go..

The 800 motor is VERY simple, crank/rods, cam, counter balance, lifters, pushrods and rockers.. That's about it. If you've ever worked on any push rod V8 or similar, you can handle it.

Top Bottom