Full Time LEO's thoughts on Reserves

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Get with Narco. He was DSPD recerve for a few years.

Unless they are just assholes, most full-time will tell you it depends on the Reserve Officer--just like FT. There are great guys and douchebags in both pay brackets.

It pretty much boils down to how well the administration trains, equips and tasks reserves that determines there overall utility to the department, and thus their worth in the eyes of most FT officers.

The trends I have seen is in departments like I am in, where there is no distinction between most reserves and FT, is that the reserves who perform well are well-respected. I am reserve, and I have never had a problem getting "Respect" or help from FT guys. On the same hand, I handle my own calls, clean up what I dig up, and generally know my **** unless it is something I haven't dealt with before. In fat, I am a resource for gun issues traffic questions with some of the tactical guys and traffic officers.

A lot of reserve guys are retired FT, so they already have the relationship. The bigeest piece of advice I can give you is keep your mouth shut and learn. Even when they are telling you things you already know.

My unt has actually taken over the enforcement and other tasks of the FT unit and they have been downsized since we were covering the needs. They began to be specialized into DUI and fatality teams.

Like anything else, reserves is what you make of it. No matter how good you are, there will be naysayers who trudged along for their 20 years or are still working on them and will talk ****. However, if you do what you are supposed to, most FT guys will be happy to see you, because the reality is, every good guy we can have on the street when the SHTF, is one more in our corner.

Futhermore, I personally find the nature of the work very satisfying. I have done patrol, undercover narcotics, street narcotics, traffic work, motorofficer, and training. It ha been both professionally and personally rewarding to help good people and catch bad ones.

Give t a shot.

Big +1 on that. That goes for any job or any career. Learn everything you can from the people that have been there. I have been working with a guy who has 30+ years in my business over the last 3 years, now hes getting transferred to another project. I'm really appreciating all the time he spent teaching me, I have learned so much from him.

Det.Blair

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Plaquemine, La.
    Its an honorable thing to do this. Just maybe you will like it so much you would go full time unless your current job pays real well. Its a good hands on so you can see what we go through on a daily basis. Good luck to you.

Top Bottom