Gabe Suarez

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Anyone take a class of his? Been thinking about taking a class or two and was hoping someone here might have an opinion or two.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    No idea why he's no longer a cop, why is that?

Jim Fuller & Dan-O earned mad respect from me at the class Nomad & I took. It was a weapons familiarity and educational class more than a tactical class, but they have a lot of knowledge, are good at sharing it, and they have sound philosophy.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Oh, I read that article linked by TXshooter.

I don't care, he's got a lot to teach. I'd like to learn from him if I get more opportunities in the future.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    He has articles every month in Concealed Carry Magazine. Some of them are OK but others use these mall ninja tactics that we have all seen and love. His force on force training articles are typically pretty good. I'd probably take one of those classes if he was in the area but I don't think I'd take one of his pistol classes, just based on what I've read from him in CCM.

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Well I have been reading on warriortalk.com and what I do like is the idea that no discipline is the all mighty fix all. Im sure Thunder Ranch teaches one way and Suarez International teaches another as do other instructors and schools. I guess my fear is that I will take a class from someone, and then all of a sudden the class I took is the best ever and anyone who disagrees with me and sees it some other way is a Heretic in need of a bonfire. Does anyone else teach a Force on Force type class?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Personal integrity isn't included in that "lot".

Some of you don't seem to mind; hell the guy takes the attitude of "I did it; so what?" Some of you also didn't seem to agree with rockemup's distress over people selling donated MREs. I happen to agree with him; and the fact that Suarez is a convicted criminal, a common thief, does indeed "bother" me.

But hey; he's HSLD, dude. Let's rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Story is that he had been doign the teaching... asked if he could continue during the medical leave... and was told sure...

Then LATER it became an issue.

DO I know this for sure?

Nope.

Take what you can use, leave the rest behind.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Personal integrity isn't included in that "lot".

I dont know what HSLD is.

Personal integrity comes from the way I live my life, not from the people that teach me combat skills.

There are LEOs and Soldiers that some of us meet every day that are thieves, cold blooded murders, adulterers, and otherwise low down pieces of **** that simply got away with crimes or found legal loopholes to commit them. Sometimes a person uses deadly force when they don't need to but they have legal justification to do so, and they know it. To me those are worse crimes than what he was accused of/convicted of. The Nobility of a persons job has no bearing on the nobility of the person holding it.

It doesn't make me want to know them more as a person, but if they can teach me how to survive a situation where my life is at risk I want to learn it.

I don't like or dislike the guy, not after his friendship, I'm after his knowledge.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I don't know the whole truth either. But I am somewhat familiar with Kalifornia's workman's comp program. AFAIK, there is no way he would have been told to continue engaging in outside paid activity. Secondly, if he HAD been told that, then why did he do time? That would have been a totally extenuating circumstance.

Sorry, it doesn't wash.

Way I understood it... there was some 'deal cut'

(I'm sure comming from your background that you understand sometimes fighting the system vs taking the deal)

I'm not defending him, I've never even met him. I DO have respect for some of his instructors (I've met other's)

I also don't try to judge a situation where I don't have a firm grasp of the situation. (Not directed at you... just speaking for myself...)

ETA:
    I just looked it up (Hadn't before)
    I found this:
    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=5797
    (I just read the first page)

THEY brought HIM a deal for Misdomeaners...???

After looking at Waco, Ruby Ridge, knowing how the court systems treat Dads etc...
    and knowing the little I do of the legal system... If he was guilty he wouldn't be able to handle firearms.
    JMHO

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I agree he is bad. I want everyone who has a training video that he put out to send it to me and Ill dispose of it properly..Especialy the rifle one(I havent seen it yet).

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    How can a convicted felon be in poss of a firearm?
    I have heard alot of bad things about him, from a friend that has been shooting competition for nearly 45 years that knows a ton of people in the gun world!

I don't think it would be a good thing, if I had to defend myself (shooting) and have to go to court and ask the question if I had any type of training, and I reply yes from Suarez, and then they find out that he is a convicted felon. I dont think that would look so great in court!

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    How can a convicted felon be in poss of a firearm?I have heard alot of bad things about him, from a friend that has been shooting competition for nearly 45 years that knows a ton of people in the gun world!

I don't think it would be a good thing, if I had to defend myself (shooting) and have to go to court and ask the question if I had any type of training, and I reply yes from Suarez, and then they find out that he is a convicted felon. I dont think that would look so great in court!

What part of "Misdemeanor" didn't you get?

You know... like when you get a trafic ticket...

Top Bottom