Gabe Suarez

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    That is part of what I was trying to get across re the integrity issue. No, he isn't a convicted felon. But he confessed to a crime of honor (lack thereof, actually) and did time for it.

Seems like a few here cannot see that; not surprising, but sad nonetheless.

I'll admit I didn't know about his past until it came up here.
    So I went and looked it up myself.

And therein is the problem.
    I see the lack of honor, but also see the benefits of some of his techniques.

It's put me on the fence post..................

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    There is a reason that you would say that you took classes from the "Suarez International" school and not Gabe Suarez, its a business that is in the business of training people for combat. You taking ANY class on firearms, except for a safe handling type class, is going to make you subject to attack by a prosecutor, that is the truth of it...being taught by Gabe would be a secondary thing by all means. "You take firearms training courses but you're a civilian. Why do you get training to kill people? It's commonly known that Suarez International trains Police, Military, and Mercenaries." It's no different than me with boxing or kickboxing. If I hurt someone with my fists or feet I will be charged with the use of a deadly weapon OR it will be brought up in the case and used against me that I have had training by multiple world champions and world class trainers, and by one convicted murderer.

The simplistic fact of the matter is that none of us know all of the details of what happened.

If prosecutors had such a slam-dunk case against him, why would they so willingly drop his multiple felony charges down to a simple misdemeanor? Sometimes innocent people cannot afford to fight charges brought against them, there are other times when innocent people cannot prove their innocence...and the line between being guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and being not guilty is a fine one. Perhaps there is more to the story than we read. He could be guilty, he could be innocent, I don't know. I'm not going to judge the mans life, business, or skills on a conviction that I know nothing about.

P.S. He wasn't convicted or accused of -any- violent crimes so the idea that Gabe's past would somehow be used against YOU in a court of law for a shooting...is very unlikely IMO since they are completely unrelated.

If Gabe was a convicted killer, or was convicted of gun crimes, and you shot someone...yeah, your ass may be slung over the fire in court.

I see where y'all are coming from, I guess I just see the significance differently than you do.

I've never met Gabe, but Jim Fuller is awesome and so is Danny Agakian, those two I spent some time with, they have a wealth of knowledge and they are on our side philosophically. I'd welcome knowledge or training from them anytime.

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    How can a convicted felon be in poss of a firearm?

Oh its really quite simple. Most states will reinstate all your civil rights as soon as your time is served, and restitution paid, ect. All except that one we all hold so near and dear. That particular one there is usually a period of time that has to go by( it varies ) that you have to keep on the straight and narrow. Then you petition the court to reinstate your right to posses firearms. The judge decides if you are worthy and signs the order and there you go, you are among the living again. That is, on the state level. I'll explain the federal part in a sec. Just for the curious when you are stopped by the police and they run a check on you, the computer will state that your firearms rights have been reinstated. So if they ask, remember they already know. So the State has given you back the right to be in possession of a firearm, but try to buy one and you will be denied. This is where you have to get in touch with the US Dept of Justice for a Firearm Denial Appeal Review.
    They will verify your criminal history, because you will submit fingerprints with your name, and you will need to include the court papers that made you whole again. When all this is sent in, dont call them, they'll call you. So some time will go by and then the postal worker will bring that envelope you thought would never come. But when read it you find out its only good for the firearm purchase you were denied. One shot deal. But if you sign up for a Voluntary Appeal File, they keep your info on file, they give you a special number you present the next time you want to add to your BoomStick collection, and the person calling will get an approval number.

So, there you go, thats how us non violent convicted felons get our firearms rights restored at the state, and federal level.

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    Oh its really quite simple. Most states will reinstate all your civil rights as soon as your time is served, and restitution paid, ect. All except that one we all hold so near and dear. That particular one there is usually a period of time that has to go by( it varies ) that you have to keep on the straight and narrow. Then you petition the court to reinstate your right to posses firearms. The judge decides if you are worthy and signs the order and there you go, you are among the living again. That is, on the state level. I'll explain the federal part in a sec. Just for the curious when you are stopped by the police and they run a check on you, the computer will state that your firearms rights have been reinstated. So if they ask, remember they already know. So the State has given you back the right to be in possession of a firearm, but try to buy one and you will be denied. This is where you have to get in touch with the US Dept of Justice for a Firearm Denial Appeal Review.
    They will verify your criminal history, because you will submit fingerprints with your name, and you will need to include the court papers that made you whole again. When all this is sent in, dont call them, they'll call you. So some time will go by and then the postal worker will bring that envelope you thought would never come. But when read it you find out its only good for the firearm purchase you were denied. One shot deal. But if you sign up for a Voluntary Appeal File, they keep your info on file, they give you a special number you present the next time you want to add to your BoomStick collection, and the person calling will get an approval number.

So, there you go, thats how us non violent convicted felons get our firearms rights restored at the state, and federal level.

I understand the process, Its pretty mush just asking for a pardon! thanks tho

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Pardons are probably easier in Louisiana, but here they wont touch them with someone else's stick. But the whole process got started with someone at the courthouse. I couldnt believe how helpful the clerks were, and they even took the starting paperwork to a judge personally, on their own time. I figured the stars were lining up for me and got off my ass to see the whole process through. Its not easy, but its been worth it.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I have never trained with Mr. Suarez. I have never met him, and am not "taking sides" in the debate. But I did do a little research and offer the following:

Suarez and his wife were charged with multiple felony counts. In 2001 a plea bargain was reached whereby Suarez agreed to plead guilty to worker comp insurance fraud, money laundering and grand theft. He agreed to pay $112,000 in restitution and serve 12 months in prison in exchange for having the charges re-classified as misdemeanors.

None of this alters Suarez' competency as a firearms instructor. But it is worth noting that most instructors are willing to serve as expert witnesses on behalf of former students who are later involved in shooting incidents that lead to civil or criminal court proceedings. One has to wonder how effective Suarez would be as an expert witness after his credibility and integrity are called into question by opposing counsel.

Top Bottom