Gauging interest - magnetic rifle rod storage enhancer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I also have the plastic rod/velco system. Top shelf in part dictates.

I try to avoid any interference between my crowns and metal going into them - water wears rocks over time. I've consider a vinyl coating or plastic rod threaded into the magnet.
    I think that using the magnets instead of the velcro would increase the stability of the rods, so plastic may be another option. Would certainly be a lot easier to fab. Not that the aluminum is hard per se, but threading a lot of little rods by hand is time consuming.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Interesting concept brought to fruition in my opinion GR. I like it.
    I opted for turning one of the central rooms in my house into a gun room. Reinforced the door and frame with a steel exterior door and dead bolt. (It’s also our safe room) many of my more weather resistant rifles now reside on the walls. I used several cans of plastic dip to coat the hangers I use. I go through and oil swab the bores now and again. It’s easy to control the air/environment in a central room. It’s best to keep humidity and dust to a minimum. Yeah, it prolly looks like a gun store, but it suits me fine and the collectibles and heirlooms get to stay in a safe. Before that, my walk in closet was a forest of standing silicone impregnated gun socks, lol.
    I hope you don't have a mountain of ammo in that room to feed all those guns ....

Nah, but seriously, a gun room with a vault door is most guys dream, so congrats on that.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I never understood wasting Safe space on ammo . It's not about fire or fumes or any of that . I just don't have the money or the room for a really big safe so I use it for guns and valuable stuff only . To each his own though .
    Storage room has not been an issue for me until now, and I have, at least temporarily, fixed that issue. If it becomes an issue again, I'll be forced to spend my money on another storage container. Until then, I can guarantee that my money will likely go towards more guns or ammo. I do have ammo in the closet as well, I just keep the more expensive stuff in the safe.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I think that using the magnets instead of the velcro would increase the stability of the rods, so plastic may be another option. Would certainly be a lot easier to fab. Not that the aluminum is hard per se, but threading a lot of little rods by hand is time consuming.
    I've also considered using a combination of aluminum and plastic rods. Aluminum at the top, and plastic at the bottom for insertion into the barrel, using a threaded coupler to join them. This would require threading 3 ends on each rod though, I'm not sure it's feasible for an actual product.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Only if people are willing to fork over some cash for it

But until then, I am very happy with it. It works great, and it looks clean.
    I think you should go for it.
    You have a product that ADDS VALUE. It improves organization AND "increases capacity" in a space you already have. People can buy more guns! LOL

Instead of "chasing the money", get busy adding value and the money will come. Your product adds value. I think you'd be either crazy or lazy to not pursue it.

Nothing in life is guaranteed. No risk, no reward. Do not fear loss. You should fear not succeeding.

1000003176.jpg

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I've also considered using a combination of aluminum and plastic rods. Aluminum at the top, and plastic at the bottom for insertion into the barrel, using a threaded coupler to join them. This would require threading 3 ends on each rod though, I'm not sure it's feasible for an actual product.
    You're currently in product development. Good job!

1000003177.jpg

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Get a paten or copyright the concept or whatever before a “ big boy” sniffs out your idea. ( clearly I don’t know how that works) Sadly can’t trust anyone.
    Accessories as we know are big money.
    Best of luck.
    I've done a small amount of patent research in the past and from what I remember, it is not a cheap process, nor is it guaranteed that your product will qualify. In this day and age, especially with something like this, a patent might be useless, as China would just copy it and sell it for half the price anyway.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I've done a small amount of patent research in the past and from what I remember, it is not a cheap process, nor is it guaranteed that your product will qualify. In this day and age, especially with something like this, a patent might be useless, as China would just copy it and sell it for half the price anyway.
    I'm actually surprised that I have not run across a china copy of the plastic and velcro rifle rod kit, although I'm sure it's out there.

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Natchitoches ( outside of )
    I'm actually surprised that I have not run across a china copy of the plastic and velcro rifle rod kit, although I'm sure it's out there.

Make your own and sell at gun shows and sites like this sounds like a target market.

Side note, if you had a mold you could melt the plastic around the aluminum to “ fuse “ them or coat the aluminum all except the top inch.
    If barrel protection is the idea

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Make your own and sell at gun shows and sites like this sounds like a target market.

Side note, if you had a mold you could melt the plastic around the aluminum to “ fuse “ them or coat the aluminum all except the top inch.
    If barrel protection is the idea
    Probably not a bad idea. So far, I think Bolt Head had a good idea with the anodizing. I honestly don't think that metal on metal scratching is an issue with aluminum vs steel, and especially not with aluminum vs chrome lined barrels. The ends being beveled leaves no sharp edge to create a scratch, even if it were possible.
    I like the anodizing idea because I know that a coating is liable to wear off at some point, and it increases the diameter of the rod. Right now, just the bare rod will fit in a .17, but there is not much room for play.
    The coating idea was really just for peace of mind, and I had not considered the aluminum corrosion aspect, which is definitely something that needs to be addressed. Aluminum and steel don't mix outside of a 100% perfect environment. Anodizing would solve this, and it would be relatively cheap and easy, and I could color the rods at the same time.

Top Bottom