george zimmerman and louisiana law(immune from civil suits)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Negative, as that would still not account for the innate corruptness of the system ingeneral.

It would help some, but then the corporations could still continue to pay off the courts and the actual victim is then victimized twice when they have to pay for a just lawsuit.

That said, I have no better solution for a still broken system.

Chief Copes taught us, "Although the US justice system may not be the most perfect and a sometimes time consuming and flawed system, it sure beats the Hell out of whatever is second place."

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Negative, as that would still not account for the innate corruptness of the system ingeneral.

It would help some, but then the corporations could still continue to pay off the courts and the actual victim is then victimized twice when they have to pay for a just lawsuit.

That said, I have no better solution for a still broken system.

Occupy Wall Street much? :dogkeke:

I am a hard core believer that corruption exists on many levels of everyday life, but damn man! :eek4:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    He ain't wrong...

Then guess what? If we had honest journalist in this country, maybe they would dig out a pretty gigantic scandal you two laid out as existing, provide some hard evidence, and we could see a change in this highly illegal empire and threat to our very existences. :dunno:

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Then guess what? If we had honest journalist in this country, maybe they would dig out a pretty gigantic scandal you two laid out as existing, provide some hard evidence, and we could see a change in this highly illegal empire and threat to our very existences. :dunno:

Very true, but buying the media is seven cheaper than buying justice in this country.

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    Im mostly interested in what happens when the lawsuit is filed in civil court? does it just get thrown out because he was not guilty in the criminal trial? the burden of proof is less than in criminal court so do they have to have another trial? It doesnt seem so clear cut as one simple sentence as the law states.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Im mostly interested in what happens when the lawsuit is filed in civil court? does it just get thrown out because he was not guilty in the criminal trial? the burden of proof is less than in criminal court so do they have to have another trial? It doesnt seem so clear cut as one simple sentence as the law states.

It's not. That's why when you hear people say "Yea but if you shoot someone, you'll still get sued for wrongful death"
    they are FULL OF ****!

It bugs the **** out of me to hear that myth repeated over and over again always trying to be pessimistic about carrying or defending yourself LEGALLY.

It's simply not true, and like you mentioned it's generally very hard to do anyway with a ton of things to consider.

Defending yourself/or family however is MUCH different than defending someone else.

Defending someone else, where you might kill someone justifiable according to the law, THEN might leave you open to a Civil Suit b/c it wasn't YOUR life in danger.(Still a stretch but a small window of possibility) b/c you took it upon yourself(Went out of your way to kill someone{even if they needed killing} to took the risk in saving someone else.(7/11 Armed Robbery type situation where you're outside pumping gas or something-endless scenarios-) There haven't been a ton of cases where this has happen in our State so it's hard to say. However our State is pretty Gun Rights Heavy and we lean to the Right so it's no where near the same as places like Ohio, Cali, NY and to add some states have laws against you NOT helping if you can. How does that play out?

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Here is a fun fact: ANYONE can file a suit against anyone for anything. The initial process is non-eventful and simple. You can find a scumbag lawyer to sue ANYONE if they have an inclination or profit motive to do so.

One of the largest problems with all of this litigious BS, is the plaintiff holds all the cards! When you are named the Defendant, you can expect to pay SOMETHING. Hiring a lawyer, answer to suit, etc.; will cost you.

We would all pay a lot less in our everyday lives if we had a loser pays policy regarding lawsuits in this country.

Another "Fun" fact: You do not need a lawyer to sue someone. You can file it yourself and there are ppl who make a living suing businesses because it's cheaper to pay them off than fight them. 60 Minutes did an expose on a woman in CA who had filed thousands of small claims suits and she was living pretty good judging from her house.

I thought of doing that but I'm too lazy to fill out all the paperwork. ;)

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Another "Fun" fact: You do not need a lawyer to sue someone. You can file it yourself
    Case in point:
    http://www.katc.com/news/lavergne-files-federal-suits-against-dozens-following-conviction/
    Convicted killer Brandon Scott Lavergne is staying busy at Angola, suing media outlets, law enforcement, and people who spoke to officials following his 2012 arrest for the murders of Mickey Shunick and Lisa Pate. Lavergne alleges slander, libel, false reporting, and theft of his property in nearly two dozen lawsuits filed over two weeks.

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have a copy of a legal article explaining the difference between our laws in LA and the Stand Your Ground laws in FL. There are some large differences between LA law and FL Law (Pertaining to Stand Your Ground). If you want a copy of it, PM me your email and I will forward it to you.

Top Bottom