Getting rid of old gasoline.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I had some gas that had been accidentally mixed with diesel so I put it in a old gas can and left it out beside the garage . It only took 2 nights and some nice person took it off my hands .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Peterpaul227

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Northshore
    Don’t know if this will work for you , I put half a can of old gas ( about 2.5 gals) in my car when it’s 3/4 of a tank if it’s more than 6months old and a full can if it’s less than 6 months . I Got a 17 gal tank in the car usually I’ll put mid grad or better when I’m planing to do this I haven’t noticed any differ when driving and don’t lose mpgs .if it’s got water or oil in it don’t do this

Last edited:

frogger2662

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    It does contain ethanol so i am afraid it contains water . It was in an old fuel tank in a truck that i drained. It has been sitting for at least 2 years. Has that bad smell to it.

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Dump it in the ditch, thats what most people do or mix it with fresh gas. The water will be on the bottom of the can so you can tell when you get to the water when you pour slowly.

iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    man please don't dump this in a ditch, drain, yard, etc etc. I know it is a small amount, but that **** adds up to the water supply. Use it for a burn pile, or mix it with some fresh gas, add som 2 cycle oil and use it for the weed eater or something.

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    I live on the water and everytime it rains there is a ton of runoff from dip shits using diesel and gas for weed killer and on ant piles. This contaminates the water, ecosystem and makes it way into the food chain, You eat fish or shellfish ?
    Burn it on a burn pile or give it to someone who will.
    There usually are one or two days per year the different parishes will have collection sites for old paint and chemicals like old gasoline, free to drop it off and they dispose of it.
    Not sure if this is happening since the damn panic though normally you can find information on the interweb

Ps. all ditches and other rain water run off systems ALL lead to the bayous, rivers and lakes.

Last edited:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I live on the water and everytime it rains there is a ton of runoff from dip shits using diesel and gas for weed killer and on ant piles. This contaminates the water, ecosystem and makes it way into the food chain, You eat fish or shellfish ?
    Burn it on a burn pile or give it to someone who will.
    There usually are one or two days per year the different parishes will have collection sites for old paint and chemicals like old gasoline, free to drop it off and they dispose of it.
    Not sure if this is happening since the damn panic though normally you can find information on the interweb

Ps. all ditches and other rain water run off systems ALL lead to the bayous, rivers and lakes.

Is a person still a dip **** if he sets the ant pile on fire so there is no run off?

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Having been a lifetime mechanic I have made a lot of money from old gas. I advise against putting any fuel that might be contaminated in a modern vehicle. We always disposed of it in the waste oil tank. If you have a friend with a shop ask about it. Autozone collects waste oil but I've never inquired about fuel.
    Be a good steward to our soil and water. Please do not pour this garbage into the ditch.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Don’t know if this will work for you , I put half a can of old gas ( about 2.5 gals) in my car when it’s 3/4 of a tank if it’s more than 6months old and a full can if it’s less than 6 months . I Got a 17 gal tank in the car usually I’ll put mid grad or better when I’m planing to do this I haven’t noticed any differ when driving and don’t lose mpgs .if it’s got water or oil in it don’t do this

This is what I do. I have a Suburban with a 31 gallon tank, when it got to 3/4 full I dump the bad gas in. I have done this several times, never had a problem.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    If you change your own oil, you can mix it with some of the used motor oil and use it to start camp fires or just fires in a fire pit during the winter. Mixed with the old oil it works well.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    If you change your own oil, you can mix it with some of the used motor oil and use it to start camp fires or just fires in a fire pit during the winter. Mixed with the old oil it works well.

I don't recommend this. I once changed the oil in a John Deere Tractor. Two cylinder gravity feed (no fuel pump.) What I didn't know was the needle was stuck open in the carburetor. All the fuel in the gas tank drained into the crankcase. I threw the "used oil" on an overgrown fence row, and put a match to it.

I think I broke the land speed record getting to the ER for them to basically ignore me. They apparently thought I had pulled a Richard Pryor free basing blow and didn't think I was in any pain whatsoever.

I didn't leave my barber much to work with. She said she had seen it before with BBQ grills and a gas furnace blowing up.

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    Is a person still a dip **** if he sets the ant pile on fire so there is no run off?

No, setting it on fire burns off the fuel especially when the ground is disturbed a bit to keep it burning.
    Using too much just soaks the ground and only top layers burn off gasoline.
    Fire ants do not disappear / die off from this method as they nest farther underground and up to 15 feet away from the mound so they just move the queen and eggs to a different location if needed and make another mound.
    This happens when disturbed enough or ill attempts to eradicate them take place.

Disposing of waste oil, diesel and gasoline by dumping into a ditch or storm drain just leads to polluted water ecosystems and drinking wells. During rains and floods the residue leaches out of the top soil and drains into the water ways leaving it a poor choice for use or disposal.

Top Bottom