Girlfriend Getting a P7

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    So the new girlfriend decided she wants a P7 after trying on literally every gun at the gun show and Jim's. After handling roughly 200 pistols it came down to a 1911, Smith & Wesson M&P, and the P7. To keep practice cost effective I helped her decide on the 9mm platform. That ruled out the M&P since they don't yet make one in 9mm with a safety. The 1911s in 9mm are nice but all the ones I researched were very expensive (well over $1k). That left the P7 which is the one she wanted anyway.

Problem was, she lives with her parents and needed to convince her parents to give her the money. The money isn't the problem. They have the money and don't even object to her buying a gun.

Bigger problem is her parents own a Glock (research revealed it to be a G17, stored in its case in the nightstand, magazine removed, chamber empty) and loudly proclaimed they "never heard of" an "H and K P Seven" and believes the Glock is only one pistol (rather than a company that makes pistols) and the only pistol in the world. Her dad made a special point to show me some 147 grain "special" hollow point bullets he heard park rangers carry that are "almost plus power". I really wanted to pull a magazine of my Ranger SXT 147g +p+ off my belt to compare but I wisely decided to not go there just yet.

Sigh.

So they ask me straight up: Why not a Glock? I explained the Glock is indeed a great pistol. Hundreds of thousands of police and civilians carry them everyday. They win shooting matches every day. For a nightstand unchambered gun that is shot and cleaned every 5 years, like yours, it's a fine choice. However, your daughter decided, on her own, that a gun without a manual safety is not a gun for her. Simple as that. Glock is ruled out.

He retorts, "The safety is your finger!"

Sigh. How many times have you heard that from a gun store salesman? I bowed out of the fight.

So she spends the next week showing the 'rents Youtube videos of the P7, shooting mine a few hundred more times, and FINALLY the parents give up and they say OK. So today I helped them order a newly refinished P7 with 4 mags, Milt Sparks VMII holster, and Trijicons. All for $900. :D

3077781001_100d19c0f6.jpg

3077780959_2923581f45.jpg

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, trying to find mine a G19 also.

AroundLSU,

Question. I am not very familiar with the P7. Is there a specific benefit to the squeeze cock? I fired one a long time ago, and it just seemed like an unecessary mechanism. Since you have a couple, what is your take. I guess what i am asking, is since you reem to have a pretty robust knowledge of modern weaponry, why the P7?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah, trying to find mine a G19 also.

AroundLSU,

Question. I am not very familiar with the P7. Is there a specific benefit to the squeeze cock? I fired one a long time ago, and it just seemed like an unecessary mechanism. Since you have a couple, what is your take. I guess what i am asking, is since you reem to have a pretty robust knowledge of modern weaponry, why the P7?

Fixed barrel, low bore axis, zero muzzle flip, arguably the best trigger in the world, insanely safe to carry, very quick to get into action, easily handles +p+ ammo, high resale value. What else do you need to know?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Actually, he carries it because it lets him squeeze his cock when he's not squeezing his cock. :o

Or is it cock his squeeze?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    DDAAAAMMMMNN. That was harsh. Is there a backstory to that?:flamed:

There is a story of a store owner who was robbed. The bad guys stole his P7 and tried to shoot him with it but couldn't figure out how to make it fire.

One added benefit of the squeezecocker is most bad guys won't be able to figure out how to make it go bang if they take it from you. You can confirm this by handing the gun to someone at the range and asking them to shoot it. After fumbling around for a bit they'll almost always start pressing the take down button and rack the slide at the same time which of course results in the gun coming apart in their hands. Nice safety feature, eh? :rofl:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Cops in NJ carried them and were almost never shot with them. Crooks that managed to get ahold of the gun couldn't figure out how to make it shoot.

That goes back to the manual of arms... it is a very difficult gun to switch back and forth between unless you shoot A LOT.

I wouldn't carry one unless it was all I shot, or 95% at a minimum... but I prefer the G19 in the end.

I agree with everything he pointed out though the difficulty of going back to another gun might be a bit exaggerated. I occassionally train with my USP Compact in Condition 1 and don't remember ever forgetting to flip the safety off, though I admit I've never had to draw it under extreme stress. I have drawn the P7 in a defensive encounter (see my post about 6 months ago) and the gun was cocked instinctively.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom