Glock Slide for Arthritic Hands

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My wife loves to shoot my Glock 19 but with arthritis in her fingers and hands it's difficult for her to rack the slide.
    any suggestions?

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Sons of guns did an episode where they welded a type of charging handle to the rear of the slide due to an injury that gave him limited use of his support arm. Seemed to work well.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Aftermarket metal guide rod with a 15# spring works great. Let me know if you need any assistance. She may have to change her technique as well.

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Depending on how bad her Arthritis is, she may be able to just adjust the technique shes using to rack the slide. I use off hand over the slide "meat to the metal" and then both push with my strong hand and pull with my off hand at the same time in a rapid manner.

Like this:
    rack%20the%20slide%202%2045web.jpg

NOT like this:
    armed-senior-citizen-safest-way-to-rack.jpg

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Gunblast online had a nice istructional vid on a charging technique for people with weaker hands.

They do make the race charging handles for glocks that replace the rear slide cover, but it might get in the way?

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    thanks everyone for the advice. Will definately look into the suggestions.
    What is an RDS?
    Where can I get the metal guide rod and 15# spring assembly?

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    thanks everyone for the advice. Will definately look into the suggestions.
    What is an RDS?
    Where can I get the metal guide rod and 15# spring assembly?

The Red Dot Sight with machine work costs more than a NIB Glock.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Proper Technique, is probably the answer to your problem.

My 7 year old has NO issue doing it, add a Grip Force Adapter to it as well. This will allow her to hold the weapon much higher and closer to the axis of the bore, also show her to use the middle + ring finger (more strength in this two) when power stroking and not the pinky+ middle, thumb or fat finger facing the chest. Push with weapon hand and pull with support hand on slide.

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks again for the additional comments. I ordered a Mako Glock Charging Handle from Amazon yesterday to try out. Unit retails for $70 from Makogroup.com. Amazon had it for $59 and free shipping. Figured I could always return it if it doesn't work for the wife since it requires no permanent mod to the slide.
    I also ordered a Stainless Steel Guide rod and 15# spring as recommended from the Glock Store to try. Only concern I have is possible feed jams with the lighter spring (Factory is 18#). I use Hornady Critical Defense for defensive purposes and standard Winchester FMJ ball for practice. I don't reload yet.
    Got a PM from James in Walker who has the spring and guide rod in stock. Gonna see if I can cancel my order from the Glock Store.
    I should also mention that my wife has no problem squeezing the trigger. It's just the initial racking of the slide that gives her problems. I can load and chamber for her but I want her to be able to rack the slide in case she expiriences a jam of some type as this will be her CCW.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I and many others have been using 15# springs in Gen 3 9mm Glocks for years without issue. Many of the run and gun crowd use 13# springs and a few use 11# springs with 9mm Glocks but I would not recommend the springs lighter than 15# in a G19 unless you balanced the other springs with the recoil spring and you are using the pistol for competition only.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    thread seemed to be going in a "modification" direction so I didn't want to blatantly derail.

I lost part of my right hand overseas. until I had enough strength to rack a slide with my remaining fingers, I used a few different techniques to rack 1-handed. my favorite was against a good belt. was incredibly easy, and if i put my hip into it I could do it with near zero pressure on my wrist.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    thread seemed to be going in a "modification" direction so I didn't want to blatantly derail.

I lost part of my right hand overseas. until I had enough strength to rack a slide with my remaining fingers, I used a few different techniques to rack 1-handed. my favorite was against a good belt. was incredibly easy, and if i put my hip into it I could do it with near zero pressure on my wrist.

These one handed techniques are commonly known and very few ladies will use them unless absolutely necessary. Sorry to hear about your hand.

Top Bottom