Glock - Tried it, Didn't Like it

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I bought an M&P 45 from a guy day before yesterday at Cabella's who bought a G41 MOS .45 right after. Today I saw him at the range, and this was the second time he shot it. He has a Zev trigger in his 19 and ordered one for the 41 too. Anyway he wasn't grouping too well and said he's not used to the gun yet. I tried it with my reloads both 230 and 200 gr and at 7 yds made a one hole groups, and at 15 yards both loads made a one hole groups slightly larger than the 7 yd group and 3" above POI. I didn't adjust the sights, just shot it as is. He was impressed how well I shot it and sees that it is accurate. Then I broke out my 2 glocks (19 and 34 ) and made even tinier one hold groups. The guns are super accurate with the right loads (and triggers thanks to JBP55). 3 years ago I shot a 10 shot group from my ransom rest with a G34 at 25 yds and the group size was 1.12". That was with a 124 gr MG JHP and 6 gr of power pistol.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I bought an M&P 45 from a guy day before yesterday at Cabella's who bought a G41 MOS .45 right after. Today I saw him at the range, and this was the second time he shot it. He has a Zev trigger in his 19 and ordered one for the 41 too. Anyway he wasn't grouping too well and said he's not used to the gun yet. I tried it with my reloads both 230 and 200 gr and at 7 yds made a one hole groups, and at 15 yards both loads made a one hole groups slightly larger than the 7 yd group and 3" above POI. I didn't adjust the sights, just shot it as is. He was impressed how well I shot it and sees that it is accurate. Then I broke out my 2 glocks (19 and 34 ) and made even tinier one hold groups. The guns are super accurate with the right loads (and triggers thanks to JBP55). 3 years ago I shot a 10 shot group from my ransom rest with a G34 at 25 yds and the group size was 1.12". That was with a 124 gr MG JHP and 6 gr of power pistol.

You shooting a 1.12" 10 round group from 25 yards with a Glock is Super. That would be very good 5 shot groups and almost unreal for 10 shot groups.
    Several years ago someone who shoots very good fired five 5 shot groups with factory ammunition from a rest at 25 yards from my Gen 3 G34 and Gen 4 G17.
    The best of 5 groups for the Gen 3 G34 was 1.81" and the best of 5 groups for the Gen 4 G17 was 1.18". All shooting was from a rest.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am in Richmond this week on a project and got bored, so I went to the local range. :)

They had well over 100 guns to try:

I normally carry a full size Colt 1911, but have been seeing a lot of posts here and on other boards asking what is the most popular CCW weapon, and the G19 comes up a lot, so I rented one of these. I have always wanted to try a Hi-Power, so I rented one of these as well. The HP fit my hand really well, the trigger was very similar to the 1911, and I put 50 rounds on paper at 10 yards. Almost all were within the 8 - 10 ring, and it was a lot of fun :D

Then I put another 50 downrange with the G19. The gun did not feel comfortable in my hand, and the trigger was uncomfortable as well. I just couldn't develop a feel for when it was going to fire. The rounds were all over the paper with less than 10 in the 8 - 10 rings. Not fun :(

Maybe this was a bad weapon, or just the wrong model for me, but if it is typical of Glocks, I just couldn't see owning one for self defense. I will be looking into obtaining a HP.

Just my .02

Remember what you are stating:
    but have been seeing a lot of posts here and on other boards asking what is the most popular CCW weapon, and the G19 comes up a lot, so I rented one of these.

By all accounts of surveys, and general gun speak, (and I would believe gun sales), the G19 is the most popular CC weapon. If it isn't for you, that's fine. As long as you get a tier 1 gun, that you feel comfortable with, knock yourself out!

The G19 is so popular because it wins or ties for the win, in almost any category/criteria for a self defense pistol. Not "just because" people say so. And of course, it has a lot of fans; and many of them are just band wagon jumpers. But that's okay too!

When I switched out my P229 for the G19, it was for practical, real world tested comparisons. And it wasn't by much. But as for the makes themselves; it was like jumping out of one a pile of diamonds into another pile of diamonds.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    I had a Gen II 22.....thing sprayed bullets everywhere when it wasn't going KABOOM on me. Had no idea what was happening when it did that until a casing didn't eject....then saw what was happening. Never shot it again and no longer own it. Would never buy another.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I had a Gen II 22.....thing sprayed bullets everywhere when it wasn't going KABOOM on me. Had no idea what was happening when it did that until a casing didn't eject....then saw what was happening. Never shot it again and no longer own it. Would never buy another.

If you do not understand how pistols work maybe you should just carry a big knife.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I'm sure I'll catch flak over it but I don't understand why more people don't speak up about the CZ line of pistols. For me their grips and pointability are almost bar none. Accuracy? My CZ-75 keeps pace with my (old) P226 any day of the week. I have at least, minimum , 4k rounds through it without one failure ever. Ever.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'm sure I'll catch flak over it but I don't understand why more people don't speak up about the CZ line of pistols. For me their grips and pointability are almost bar none. Accuracy? My CZ-75 keeps pace with my (old) P226 any day of the week. I have at least, minimum , 4k rounds through it without one failure ever. Ever.

I put more than 52,000 flawless rounds through one G17. Not one issue ever.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Hmmm, working on the tractor, in the yard, going to the store,hunting, duck hunting with waders on,4 wheeler ridding ect going anywhere I always carry a glock, either a glock 23 or 30s depending on my mood, always in a crossbreed super tuck, @ 4:00, they just fit me great, I have owned prob well over 20 diff glocks and have never had trouble with them, I wouldn't pick anything else. But to be a little picky "I cut my teeth on glocks", a glock 21 gen 1 to be more specific. I have shot many others sig,xd,kahr ect, and they all shot good but I am hooked on the sight axis, grip angle and "pointablility" of the glock, they have become a extension of my had, so I can see how it your a 1911 man of its a big diff.. Like driving a $45k 4x4 truck in the mud vs a $5k 1987 Toyota 4x4, they will both get you through the hole with no problem, just I wouldn't be so gun shy on treating the Toyota with a little disrespect,lol i wear my glocks running hoop nets, crawfish traps, on the tractor all day, soaking wet with sweat,mud ect and at the end of the day take it off and put it up, without a worry in the world, no cleaning. Now if I try to carry my 1911's I tend to baby them, wipe them off, spray them down with some remoil to keep from rusting/corroding from salt in sweat, idk maybe it's somthing in my head... Just my thoughts

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Also the trigger is very diff, nothing like a crisp nice 1911,but if you practice some dryfire exercises you will know where the reset is every time and when 98% of the take up is in the trigger prior to the first shot

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I put more than 52,000 flawless rounds through one G17. Not one issue ever.
    I wasn't trying to say that a Glock is an unreliable POS, merely that there are some other quality brands out there that're rarely mentioned. Example: Glocks have a strong general following. HK's have a vehement following amongst those that feel the added expense or prestige is worth it. SIG's, well used to have a strong following before the quality started slacking. When in the course of general firearm discussion do people actually chime in about other quality firearms like CZ or to a lesser extent FN?

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Glocks have caused many people a lot of grief. A few years back, I owned one of each model available. Now all have been sold.

The younger folks grew up seeing Glocks and thinking they have to be good or else would not be used by law enforcement.

Well, they are being used by LE because they are sold due to being the lowest bidder. Many departments have left the Glock. One dept I know of has several officers injured due to the lack of a manual safety among other things.

The Glock is a dependable sidearm but not a quality sidearm. They work.

Comparing them to a 1911 is not even close. The 1911 has been around over 100 years and still the same design. Glocks have been around about 30 yrs and has been through about five different changes. It still remains ergonomically incorrect. The Glock "Safe" trigger is still causing unwanted discharges.

Departments are faced with money shortages. Glocks selling for about $300 new in volume is easier to budget than $500+ for gunsmith made guns.

Still, buy what you want and can afford. If it works for you, good.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Buying a $500 Glock to put a $200+ Trigger in it is silly.

It isn't silly if you want it and can afford it. Everyone has hobbies and has ways to justify their purchases.

I think it's crazy spending 100's on RC cars, 100's of multiple pair of "Jordan's" and yeezy's. But if someone else wants it, I'm not stopping them.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Glocks have caused many people a lot of grief. A few years back, I owned one of each model available. Now all have been sold.

The younger folks grew up seeing Glocks and thinking they have to be good or else would not be used by law enforcement.

Well, they are being used by LE because they are sold due to being the lowest bidder. Many departments have left the Glock. One dept I know of has several officers injured due to the lack of a manual safety among other things.

Comparing them to a 1911 is not even close. The 1911 has been around over 100 years and still the same design. Glocks have been around about 30 yrs and has been through about five different changes. It still remains ergonomically incorrect. The Glock "Safe" trigger is still causing unwanted discharges.

Departments are faced with money shortages. Glocks selling for about $300 new in volume is easier to budget than $500+ for gunsmith made guns.

Funny!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Joke of the day!

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Joke of the day!

Especially the 1911 comparo lol

Are glocks a reliable, easy to shoot sidearm? Definitely. Why do LE use them? Several reasons. Ease of use (no levees, switches etc) is definitely one reason. Are they the best thing on the market? Probably not but how much will you spend for better.

I am not a glock fan. I don't dislike them but definitely not my favorite. When I was a gunsmith, we did not repair as many of those as some others. (FYI, we could pay the bills off 1911 repairs). I happen to be able to shoot them well so I do keep one around.

Glocks/other firearms are like automotive manufacturer arguments. Fan boys will be fan boys and haters will be haters.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I also used to carry a full size 1911, but was interested in the G19 for higher capacity and lower weight. I was not impressed with glocks at first, I did not like the trigger and the grip angle felt wrong. I had trouble getting good groups, and I decided not to get one. Then I shot one again that someone had, and seemed to do better with it. I finally bought one, not sure if I would keep it, but after a few times shooting it, decided to make it my carry gun. I am able to get tighter groups consistently with the 1911, and it feels more comfortable. But I found I could put rounds on paper faster with the glock and I attribute that to the grip angle (for me, not for everyone). As far as the accuracy, the difference at what I would consider a range I would be needing the gun is negligible. I want to make a palm size group at 10 yards as quick as possible and the glock can do that faster than the 1911 for me. Slow fire, the 1911 will win every time for me, but that is not how I anticipate being forced to use my carry gun.

Long story short, if you are happy with the 1911, great. But if you are coming from a 1911, interested in a glock, and give up on a glock after shooting it once, you are cheating yourself.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

What? Sounds like your acquaintances need to learn some gun safety. Please do not go shooting at the range with them for your own safety.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    All this Glock talk makes me want to go shoot mine. Thankfully I have never shot a Sig or HK or Highpoint to realize that what I have is a gun of marginal quality. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom